Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: CD player suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by readswift View Post
    i dont recommend sony because they are doing bitstream ( 1-bit) conversion. Phase noise aka. Jitter affects that system very bad. On the other side , multibit r2r is friendly when it comes to tolerating jitter. The technics players I recomended are the best in the price range because afaik the 2 pcm56 are shared between + and - polarity, resulting in sign magnitude conversion, just like top-tier Burr Brown ICs.

your absolutely right.
    problem is that the human ear is not capable of hearing that. thats why my choice will be with a nice driver that wont fail you
    http://www.marantzphilips.nl/index.asp?strPage=Daclist
    great list. tecnics also uses the cdm drivers so take the best of both worlds. this list is realy usefull when buying a new or old player.
    finally i have a pair of 604 8g's....there not easy to find in the netherlands

Cleaned up the Crown, it seems in good condition, but when I went to hook up the pre amp to my complete and utter amazement I found that there were no XLR or RCA inputs....!
    Hello Krunchy

You can use the 1/4 plugs or the terminal strips. You don't have to run them balanced as long as you don't have any ground or noise issues. Mine are all run using the 1/4 plug inputs. No noise issues at all. Super quiet amps.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Krunchy View Post
    Cleaned up the Crown, it seems in good condition, but when I went to hook up the pre amp to my complete and utter amazement I found that there were no XLR or RCA inputs....! Now I find out from Scotty (thank you Sir)
    no, I dont think you need balanced i/p's. I had the same problem with my BGW amps (they only have 1/4 trs and xlr inputs ), and many in the forum suggested these ------>>>>>>>

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=090-285

and they worked perfectly ....$1.25 each !!!! ( you need two) and now you can go "RCA to 1/4" and installation takes about 12 nanoseconds (if you are slow, like me )

Or get the shiney gold version of those RCA to 1/4 phone plugs at Radio Shark - You'll pay a bit more, but you save the shipping costs and you can have them tonight!

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2103711
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

i decided to get rid of the jacks and put some cinch in there. works better for me.

You are probably right, what I dont know has filled volumes already, here is a prime example....classic Fred. Cleaned up the Crown, it seems in good condition, but when I went to hook up the pre amp to my complete and utter amazement I found that there were no XLR or RCA inputs....! Now I find out from Scotty (thank you Sir) that it needs an input balancing option & a special round plug with multi pins and a plug in for balanced inputs which used to be available in 2 ways, transformer balanced and active electronic balanced. So the odyssey continues.

Interesting reviewers, even Jonathan Gourd (JG), who inspected many of these units checked in with a review, his innitials are probably on yours as well. Thank you for the link

have you checked the max output voltage of the pre and the max input on the crown?
    i had to place some rothwell attenuators on the input of my bose 1801.
    to avoid clipping when playing loud.

Thank you Rob, Seawolf & Heather, I will definitely try them out, Had company over today so things were on hold, will go to the Shack tomorrow and pick up a pair, I thought it would be much more complicated than that Yea!

Quote Originally Posted by greyhound View Post
    have you checked the max output voltage of the pre and the max input on the crown?
    i had to place some rothwell attenuators on the input of my bose 1801.
    to avoid clipping when playing loud.
    Hi Greyhound, do you use a regular voltage meter to check that? if it is I could pick one up tomorrow when I go to R.S. What am I looking for as far as "dangerous" levels??? This stuff is totally alien to me, I'm pretty handy but when it comes to electronics Im not the sharpest spoon in the drawer.
    Just Play Music.

Thank you Rob, Seawolf & Heather, I will definitely try them out, Had company over today so things were on hold, will go to the Shack tomorrow and pick up a pair, I thought it would be much more complicated than that Yea!

Hi Greyhound, do you use a regular voltage meter to check that? if it is I could pick one up tomorrow when I go to R.S. What am I looking for as far as "dangerous" levels??? This stuff is totally alien to me, I'm pretty handy but when it comes to electronics Im not the sharpest spoon in the drawer.

i just checked it with the company. mailed bose and bryston (that was my pre amp)to get the info.
    somethimes you can download specs from the archives on their site.
    you could check crowns site for that.
    same for the device you'll put in front of it.

i have my philips cd player directly on the power amp . it has gains for volume. it has given the best results yet,
    crown has gain doesnt it?
    if it does try putting your cd player directly on it. you'll love it

Yes I have the specs on the crown, thank you.
    Just Play Music.

CD Players

Not that I have owned anything previously to compare with, I bought an new unmodded Music Hall CD25.2 from Underwood. I'm very happy with the sound, its built like a tank, and was reasonably priced.

Krunchy,

Oh, I see now. The PS-400 is a horse! Yeah, as Heather said, just use RCA to 1/4" adapters. Available most anywhere. Good pro-instrument/sound shop can provide cables with male RCA on one end and 1/4" males on the other but it could be pricey. If rear depth isn't an issue, just use the adapters. While you're at it, get the Crown-standard Pomona plugs (dual bananas) for the speaker outs. Monster makes some that aren't too expensive ($15/pair) and are sold at Best Buy. Radio Shack carries plastic ones but often only in one color (red) and simple plastic that isn't a lot cheaper than the metal Monsters.

The PS-Mod/X adapters are silly, sometimes selling for less than shipping on Ebay and other times for way too much. I now have two and paid $11 for one ($2.95 plus shipping) off Ebay and another was included with a Crown-reconditioned PS-200 I bought for less than the owner's bill at Crown. Three adapters just sold as a bundle for $130 on Ebay.

Thank you BMWCCA, I will be heading to the Rshack later on today to pick up the 1/4" adapters. If the unit works well then I dont have to bother with the mod/x since I do not need XLR inputs unless I experience some sort of humming, but I will keep an eye out for them in the future. What are the advantages of the Pomona plugs (dual bananas) is it just a more convinent & quicker connection or is it something else.
    Just Play Music.

What are the advantages of the Pomona plugs (dual bananas) is it just a more convinent & quicker connection or is it something else.
    Yeah, they just plug in to the output terminals. No need to thread and tighten on the amp so less chance of shorted outputs and, if you want to swap L-to-R for testing or other purposes, it's very easy. You can also stack dual-bananas if you're bi-wiring or using more than one set of speakers (why you'd want to, I don't know, but certainly don't drop below 4 ohm resistance). It looks like dual-bananas actually fit some JBL speaker terminals, too, I think. Some 44xx monitors maybe? L20t?

I'm still getting a kick out of listening to my L20Ts with my second PS-400.
    No such thing as too much clean power.

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    No such thing as too much clean power.
    Sage advice
    Just Play Music.

Got the adapters for the Crown (there were only two left at the shack) and hooked up the APT pre amp with my first (circa 1991) JVC cd player and am very pleased with whats coming out of the speakers
    Question, is it safe to turn up the controls on the Crown all the way up and then control the volume with the preamp, I've got them 3/4s of the way up now?

Jamming!

Quote Originally Posted by podger076 View Post
    I bought an new unmodded Music Hall CD25.2 from Underwood. I'm very happy with the sound, its built like a tank, and was reasonably priced.
    That looks like a very nice unit, ebay guy's asking 375, we'll see if anyone bites?
    Thank you for the suggestion.
    Just Play Music.

Thread Information