Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: CD player suggestions

back to topic ...........

another thing you might consider Krunchy is the minidisk. I've always liked recording "off the air". R2R is not practical anymore , cassette has its problems, but MD makes great copies. VERY happy with it.

It was discussed how records wear out .... dub one to MD on the first play and the music will always sound new.

MD vs. DAT thread....

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...ini#post193506

they are digital and sound great, a very good quality one can be had for under $150, disks are about a dollar , they are editable , and I really cant tell the sound from CD ( REALLY !!! I have dubbed vinyl and CD to MD and very few could tell the difference on A/B tests) The reviews call this one an "ES" w/o the badge
    Attached Images Attached Images  

every cd player from Sony will give years of listening pleasure and wont break down. when theres ES its realy okay.
    again my advice will be to check teh drive. philips simply makes the best ones. look for cdm1 and it wont ever fail you.
    teac makes some nice drives vdrs
    and sony
    finally i have a pair of 604 8g's....there not easy to find in the netherlands

Thank you guys, thank you I sincerely appreciate all your comments and suggestions. There is a lot of food for thought here and it all is a big help to me, I mean it. I mosy along through the various threads here and am always learning something new or see things from a different perspective. My "sound" and my enjoyment of music has increased by leaps and bounds since I came upon this place and I owe many thanks to you all, directly and indirectly, for all that is discussed here has a bearing upon ones view one way or another.

Seawolf,
    I always liked the minidisc format, I do not know why they never really cought on, they were not embraced as they should have been IMO. When they first came out I thought they were going to do away with the regular cd's but alas it never came to be. BTW, I picked up one of those APT's, very cool little unit, Digging it!

Thank you my friends, and now I'm going to go and play a little music
    Just Play Music.

Quote Originally Posted by Krunchy View Post
    Seawolf,
    I always liked the minidisc format, I do not know why they never really cought on, they were not embraced as they should have been IMO. When they first came out I thought they were going to do away with the regular cd's but alas it never came to be. BTW, I picked up one of those APT's, very cool little unit, Digging it!
    As I understand it, the MD was and still is huge in Japan. The MD users are a very rabid group ( http://www.minidisc.org/index.php ) .....I like it for "off air" because if I record something and then change my mind, it can be deleted. Also the unit acquired has keyboard port and I can title the disk and each track and the names display on the front. If mine broke, I would get another.

APT/Holman !!!!! series 1 or 2 ??? my 1 is built like a tank. Did you get the owners manual ?? It is incredible. pics ?? ( you will like it )

i dont recommend sony because they are doing bitstream ( 1-bit) conversion. Phase noise aka. Jitter affects that system very bad. On the other side , multibit r2r is friendly when it comes to tolerating jitter. The technics players I recomended are the best in the price range because afaik the 2 pcm56 are shared between + and - polarity, resulting in sign magnitude conversion, just like top-tier Burr Brown ICs.

Minidisc, I can see the Japanese really liking the format (thanks for the link) why not, it is so versatile, that is why I am baffled that it never got big here (well, we like things big dont we ). You bring up some very good points about its user friendlyness.

The APT, I am not sure if its S1 or S2 (where does it list that??) the manual/book is yellow but it does not mention the series. It looks just like the picture you posted, unfortunately I cannot take any pictures right now as our camera is MIA, cant find it anywhere, hope its not lost , either that or I will find it according to the laws of the univers...after I have purchased a new one..Doh!. It is built like a tank, I only wish more things were built like that, its a sad state of affairs the way things are built nowadays. Yeah its a great little unit I got it set up right now w/the L166's...most enjoyable!
    There are two of them on epey right now, just watching them, there's other stuff on my list at the moment.

Readswift, thanks again, I'll keep an eye out for them, none on ebay at the moment.
    Just Play Music.

The APT, I am not sure if its S1 or S2 It is built like a tank, I only wish more things were built like that, its a sad state of affairs the way things are built nowadays. Yeah its a great little unit I got it set up right now w/the L166's...most enjoyable!
    There are two of them on epey right now, just watching them, there's other stuff on my list at the moment.

unfortunately I cannot take any pictures right now as our camera is MIA, cant find it anywhere, hope its not lost ,
    The 2 on eBay are S1's. The S2 (as I recall) is low profile and black and has far fewer controls. One of those on the bay surely came from a smokers home...cud use some detailing.

yup, take an hour to read the yellow manual. Bet you learn some things and will appreciate the unit even more . It was really designed with vinyl in mind...not an afterthot like many others. (there is even a hidden L R trim pot for the phono cart, plus settings for different arms/carts)...GOOD FIND !!!!!

lost camera ??? I can almost guarantee that it is in "the last place you look"

Cult Classic!

If you want to have some fun try the Sony Playstation 1 (Model SCPH-1001 only!) How can you go wrong for a few bucks + shipping?

If you want something new, you can't beat an Oppo for the price! (A multitasking darling)

Quote Originally Posted by JBLOG View Post
    If you want to have some fun try the Sony Playstation 1 (Model SCPH-1001 only!) How can you go wrong for a few bucks + shipping?

If you want something new, you can't beat an Oppo for the price! (A multitasking darling)
    pls stop this playstation talk, its retarded

Hi Krunchy, in your quest for a CD player, you may not wish to turn your nose up at an old Kyocera. They made some real fine players, especially in their upper echelon line-up.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    You'll never hear me use the term "musical", sweet" or "warm" to describe equipment sonics.

Quote Originally Posted by ARRAY View Post
    Hi Krunchy, in your quest for a CD player, you may not wish to turn your nose up at an old Kyocera. They made some real fine players, especially in their upper echelon line-up.
    Hello ARRAY, thanks for the suggestion, I never heard of that brand but it does look like a nice unit.

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    The 2 on eBay are S1's. The S2 (as I recall) is low profile and black and has far fewer controls. One of those on the bay surely came from a smokers home...cud use some detailing.
    S1 Then, grey finish, looks like it can take a beating. I know the one on ebay that you are referring to, but that may be a good thing, it probably works fine and just needs some TLC, that one could be a good deal.
    Its cool that the unit is geared toward phonographs, got my eye on some right now. I am itching to bust out the vinyl, I have not played any since 2000, moved, got married, bought house, kid, fixed house, sold house, kid, bought house, got JBL's . Fortunately unlike many of my friends I never got rid of my records when cd's took over, cant wait. I just received a crown amp that I got on epey so I'll probably hook it up to that, I'm curious to see what they sound like.
    The camera is unfortunate, I am sure we'll find it, but who knows when.
    Off to inspect and clean that amp and refoam a couple of drivers, fun fun fun fun fun!
    Just Play Music.

S1 Then, grey finish, looks like it can take a beating. I know the one on ebay that you are referring to, but that may be a good thing, it probably works fine and just needs some TLC, that one could be a good deal.
    Its cool that the unit is geared toward phonographs, got my eye on some right now. I am itching to bust out the vinyl, I have not played any since 2000, moved, got married, bought house, kid, fixed house, sold house, kid, bought house, got JBL's . Fortunately unlike many of my friends I never got rid of my records when cd's took over, cant wait. I just received a crown amp that I got on epey so I'll probably hook it up to that, I'm curious to see what they sound like.
    The camera is unfortunate, I am sure we'll find it, but who knows when.
    Off to inspect and clean that amp and refoam a couple of drivers, fun fun fun fun fun!
    I dont think you know yet what a great unit this is ...you will

read about it --->>>>
    http://www.audioreview.com/cat/ampli...6_1591crx.aspx

You are probably right, what I dont know has filled volumes already, here is a prime example....classic Fred. Cleaned up the Crown, it seems in good condition, but when I went to hook up the pre amp to my complete and utter amazement I found that there were no XLR or RCA inputs....! Now I find out from Scotty (thank you Sir) that it needs an input balancing option & a special round plug with multi pins and a plug in for balanced inputs which used to be available in 2 ways, transformer balanced and active electronic balanced. So the odyssey continues.

Interesting reviewers, even Jonathan Gourd (JG), who inspected many of these units checked in with a review, his innitials are probably on yours as well. Thank you for the link
    Just Play Music.

Cleaned up the Crown, it seems in good condition, but when I went to hook up the pre amp to my complete and utter amazement I found that there were no XLR or RCA inputs....! Now I find out from Scotty (thank you Sir) that it needs an input balancing option & a special round plug with multi pins and a plug in for balanced inputs which used to be available in 2 ways, transformer balanced and active electronic balanced. So the odyssey continues.
    What did you end up with? A D75A? Welcome to the world of Crown Neutrik (Speakon) connectors. Maybe the bulkier PS-200 was a better choice? Or did you get a PS-200 and now you want the MOD-X adapter for the muti-pin output jack to run XLR?

Hi BMWCCA!
    I got the PS 400, I gotta say that is one solid unit, from looking at the pictures I never thought it would be that heavy, its design is very deceiving. When I opened it up to have a peek I was impressed by its straight forward layout, no nonsense in there. Luckily it arrived in very good shape, the guy actually did nice job in packing it. The Mod X i guess is what I was referring to, where do you get those, do they come up on ebay? I like the unit and am looking forward to seeing what it sounds like, when I go for the PS 200 I will keep this little scenario in mind
    Just Play Music.

Thread Information