Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: CD player suggestions

Now how about some cd player suggestions?!
    Just Play Music.

Why can't you turn your back and walk away?
    Why can't you let the folks who believe differently just exist - you KNOW you won't change their beliefs.
    They know they won't change yours.

They don't HAVE to believe what you believe about sound.

Insults won't change that, and is just rude behavior from you.

Quote Originally Posted by Rolf View Post
    Hi Friends.

I have said this ones before, and this is the second time. WHY?

Because I believe in talking, not violence.

Technology is going backwards?
    How come it is sooooo difficult to accept that the technology is moving on? I have heard some people say: "the wort thing that has happen is the introduction of stereo".

Some live in a world that has past away... gone ... and that is is the analog world.

Why can't you just accept that the world today IS digital? and try to do the best of it, instead of claiming "it was better before"?

Idiot's! Live and let live today! not in the past. ... Or do you wish to be back at the time "Mary had a little Lamb"?

I believe SOME of you really will that, and I am sorry for you.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

OPPO 981
    "It only costs 80% extra to go first class"

TECHNICS SL-P770 TECHNICS SL-P990 TECHNICS SL-P999

How come it is sooooo difficult to accept that the technology is moving on?
    Idiot's! Live and let live today! not in the past. ...
    I believe SOME of you really will that, and I am sorry for you.

Technology is going backwards?
    so then I am assuming that you have the latest JBL speakers ?? ( and not those of past technology)

funny how the backwards technologies of tube amplification and vinyl source is so popular now ??

Krunchy,

I would be interesting to hear impressions of the Sony PS3.

It has very good specs and blows a lot of DVd/universal players out of the water on the video front.

I tend to think digital should where possible be treated as a universal platform and in that respect the PS3 does a lot of things very well.

Granted I have not personally listened to the Cd play back ..perhaps some other have.

In Rolf's post above its hard to know if he is joking to not.

I dont think there is a lot of credence to the way he is trying to make his point on the $25K versus $1K thing. What was the specific equipment used? What disks were played? Were the loudspeakers Everests or L26's? I not not sure why he intends to do more tests having made that sort of statement public knowledge.

Opinions are just that and you cant speak for what other people appreciate nor can you expect everyone to fully agree with your own ideals. That is why I take other peoples comments and preferences with a grain of salt when I'm deciding what equipment I prefer and what I can afford. Some stuff will work for some but not others and that's how it is.

On that point the entire Hifi magazine industry would go out of business overnight if what Rolf is suggesting is true and we mere mortals should take his comments as fact.

As for those who have invested in a good vinyl system they know otherwise...and they probably stopped reading this thread a while back...stop giggling.

I doubt it its even true ..or someone has serious hearing issues.

Back OT there are some interesting reasonably priced players drifting on to the market. Manufacturers are now making respectable players at reasonable prices. No they are not the ultimate or perhaps close to being tonally accurate but they are not nasty to the ear like a lot a budget players in years gone by. The dac chips have come a long way in recent times. But you won't find low jitter phase locked super clocks and other snazzy things like a zillion khertz oversampling and tube output stages in the mass market players.

Ian

Thank you friends for all the replies. Very interesting to read different opinions.

Krunchy: "bringing back memories". Sure. Last night me and my wife was playing The Beatles "Love CD", and was talking about what memories some of the songs gave us. At the time of the memories there was no CD, only vinyl, so I do not believe that playing it on vinyl will give us better or worse memories.

No, we will not use a $40 - $50 CD player. Probably $400 - $500 in the budget system, and a $10 - 15000 in the hi-end setup.

What music do I like? Well, Frank Zappa is one of my favorites. Dire Straits, Enigma, Enja, Madonna ... the list is going on... In shorts, I like many types of music, depending in what kind of mode I am in to play. What I don't like is "bunga bunga" and purly computer based music. Like real music played by people.

My equipment? Burmester CD player, EAD pre/prosessor, Perreaux 350 (bass) + 200 (the rest) (soon 4x750) Power amps. Sony DVD player/recorder. As I do not watch so many DVD's this one is a "budget" player, ($1000) and is good enough for me. Speakers is JBL 4343B, with JBL electronic crossover.

SEAWOLF97: As you can read, no Everest, but I was talking source here, not speakers.

hjames: I really hope i did not insult anybody. If so, I am sorry. Did not mean to.

Krunchy: My recomandation would be a used Rotel RCD-02 or 06. Otherwise i guess the REGA Apollo could be bought second hand for slightly more. Both are excellent players.

Rolf: I have to disagree with you about CD vs. analouge. The very best sound i have heard have come from Vinyl. The CD-players used for comparison was in no way cheap ones.

-Tim
    2213 + 2435HPL w/aquaplas + H9800 (Matsj edition)

Quote Originally Posted by timc View Post

Rolf: I have to disagree with you about CD vs. analouge. The very best sound i have heard have come from Vinyl. The CD-players used for comparison was in no way cheap ones.

-Tim
    That is ok. Then we can agree to disagree? Can't we?

Of course we can. Is'nt that what makes this hobby so interessting?

-Tim
    2213 + 2435HPL w/aquaplas + H9800 (Matsj edition)

I have tried listening to "vinyl rigs" that cost about $25000 compared to a CD Player about $1000, and the difference is close to zero.
    What music do I like? Well, Frank Zappa is one of my favorites. Dire Straits, Enigma, Enja, Madonna ...
    When you make your comparisons you need to make sure the music was originally recorded with analog tape... the newer digital masters are quite good, but if you use recordings made in the 80's many artists used digital equipment that was no better or only slightly better than CDs and a vinyl album will sound almost identical to the CD.

Widget

I think in the moderate system price range digital will outperform vinyl.

Also there is degradation of the vinyl. Play an LP 50 times and then compare it back to back to a fresh one.

I was religious about vinyl, resisting digital for decades trying to re-convert my friends. In the end I've become much more pragmatic and listen to CD's for day to day stuff.

Also my Nitty Gritty won't fit in my rack.

If you spend the money then yeah, vinyl being analog, seems to have no limits.

Jorg

Quote Originally Posted by 89-300ce View Post
    I think in the moderate system price range digital will outperform vinyl.
    I guess you have to define moderate, but since most people want convenience, there is a ton of affordable analog gear out there that is pre-remote... you can get an Apt, or PS Audio, or even a Hafler pre with phono stage at quite low prices and there are several quite decent brand new turntables in the under $500 price range... I'd put any of these preamp and turntable combos up against any CD player at any price point.

Quote Originally Posted by 89-300ce View Post
    Also there is degradation of the vinyl. Play an LP 50 times and then compare it back to back to a fresh one.
    Absolutely... vinyl is full of it's own evils. You get to listen to a whopping 22 minutes before you have to get up, the records get dirty and must be cleaned, they wear out, they have surface noise, they use too much compression in the mix, the bass can sound flabby and on an on... but if you can overlook their short comings, they offer a sound that no CD can match.

Widget

Mr Widget makes a good point about vinyl quality.

I used to buy all fully imported pressings from the UK and the USA. There was a lot of variation in quality between some labels. Local pressings of the samle label were crap.

For a while I was buying Mobil Fidelty pressings ..180 gram. They are long gone but you can still find other good labels on dedicated web sities and there is a some new stuff still being pressed.

This of course is half the fun of using vinyl.

Next is a good cartridge. Spend as much as you can afford on a new cartridge http://www.needledoctor.com/. Then there are phono stages and turntables. http://www.needledoctor.com/Pro-Ject...2&category=352

With vinyl there is lot more within the practical scope of the user to get real improvements relative to digital.

When you are done compare the Sheffield Lab drum test on your JBL's (if you can find it) to any CD.

During the 80's I held off buying a CD player and eventually bought a Luxman 105U. It was one of the better Cd players of the day but it was no match for my TT using good vinyl.

Ian

Hello Ian,

Sheffield Lab is a good tip. I have some Sheffield Lab records, known by some as the CD version. Vinyl is also the clear winner. Charly Antolini has some 1978 speakers destroyed, vinyl course. The CD is just a tired copy.

regards

juergen
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thread Information