Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: CD player suggestions

CD player suggestions

Hello everyone,
    I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for good quality CD players in the $200.00 - $300.00 range. I have an Adcom gcd 750 that I really like and a Cambridge Audio one but they are more than I want to spend for secondary players.
    Opinions/remarks welcome.
    Thank you!
    Just Play Music.

Thank you guys! May have just scored a GCD 750. I must say that I tend to lean towards the single platter variety.
    The hunt continues
    Just Play Music.

I cant give you any recommendation in that price range, but a Burmester will guarantee your satisfaction.

Hello Rolf!
    That Burmester better be damn good, found one, Burmester Rondo 992 on audiogon for $1,500.00 (retailed for 4k),..... ....thats definitely out of my price range.
    I'm sure its a fine machine, I'll have to wait till my royalties from the Lucille Ball clam sculptures start rolling in....any day now!

Thank you my friend
    Just Play Music.

Quote Originally Posted by Krunchy View Post
    Hello Rolf!
    That Burmester better be damn good, found one, Burmester Rondo 992 on audiogon for $1,500.00 (retailed for 4k),..... ....thats definitely out of my price range.
    I'm sure its a fine machine, I'll have to wait till my royalties from the Lucille Ball clam sculptures start rolling in....any day now!

Thank you my friend
    As we all know. ... good sound is not for free.

I certainly hope not! where would we all be? & besides, what is these days?...... but there's always something! and thats the fun part .
    Just Play Music.

Onkyo makes some musical CD players on the lower-price end. Ayre and others make some special players on the other end!

if im allowed to give my humble opinion.

almost all cd players sound exactly the same. doesnt matter if there 40 pounds or 4.
    doesnt matter if there 200 dollar or 5000,-
    if a player sounds different like mine its due to distortion. usually in het HF output. i like it.

just get one that looks nice en has a decent drive. like philips cdm drivers.

ive read about several blind tests where people couldnt hear the difference between a decent sony and a expensive Wadia
    finally i have a pair of 604 8g's....there not easy to find in the netherlands

Quote Originally Posted by greyhound View Post

almost all cd players sound exactly the same. doesnt matter if there 40 pounds or 4.
    doesnt matter if there 200 dollar or 5000,-
    if a player sounds different like mine its due to distortion. usually in het HF output. i like it.

just get one that looks nice en has a decent drive. like philips cdm drivers.

ive read about several blind tests where people couldnt hear the difference between a decent sony and a expensive Wadia
    We are about 20 people who are about to start a "blind test". I will post the result when we are done. I think in Mach sometime.

Most people I know, even if they don't care about the sound, have no problem hearing quality differences between a normal priced CD player and a "hi end CD player.

when you set up a blind test make sure that every player will be heard at exactly the same sound level.
    some expensive players have up to 4 volt putput and will sound louder (= more impressive) then a player with the normal 2 volt output.

some pink noise , a DB meter and someone who writes down the settings on the volume knob will do the trick.

player 1 is 98 db with volume at (try to be precise here) 11óclock
    player 2 is 98 DB with the volume on 10óclock

or make some little mark on the amp with a small sticker.

if all the music is played equally loud the test is more reliable.

and ask yourself this question.
    "whats in a cd player that actually makes a sound" in stead of just passing a signal.
    have fun on your test please PM me with the results.
    i might miss them.
    finally i have a pair of 604 8g's....there not easy to find in the netherlands

Thank you guys for your imput, I really appreciate it, I trully believe you all have valid points/convictions. As long as ones enjoyment of music is on the up-wing then all is well (or at least heading in the right direction) as far as I am concerned.

Rolf, let us all know how the blind tests go if you seriously go forward with this, regardless of the results
    Just Play Music.

That hasn't been my experience... I have found that even comparing a couple of low priced players ($200-$400) they sounded obviously different. However I would not say that one sounded obviously better than the other.

The best CD sound I have heard in my system was using a mid priced, ($1200) player as a transport and using an external DAC. The sound stage opened up, the highs were slightly less edgy, and there was slightly more "air" or transparency... all of these improvements were similar to the improvements one hears in an analog system, though not as extreme. If you are one who thinks that CD sound is as good or better than analog, then there is no need to spend the money on an expensive player or quality external DAC.

Widget

when you set up a blind test make sure that every player will be heard at exactly the same sound level.
    some expensive players have up to 4 volt putput and will sound louder (= more impressive) then a player with the normal 2 volt output.

some pink noise , a DB meter and someone who writes down the settings on the volume knob will do the trick.

player 1 is 98 db with volume at (try to be precise here) 11óclock
    player 2 is 98 DB with the volume on 10óclock

or make some little mark on the amp with a small sticker.

if all the music is played equally loud the test is more reliable.

and ask yourself this question.
    "whats in a cd player that actually makes a sound" in stead of just passing a signal.
    have fun on your test please PM me with the results.
    i might miss them.
    We are a serious club with interests in sound and equipment. We have access to all necessary "gadgets" needed to set up the systems to make a blind test, so don't worry.

When done, I post the result.

Quote Originally Posted by Krunchy View Post
    Thank you guys for your imput, I really appreciate it, I trully believe you all have valid points/convictions. As long as ones enjoyment of music is on the up-wing then all is well (or at least heading in the right direction) as far as I am concerned.

Rolf, let us all know how the blind tests go if you seriously go forward with this, regardless of the results
    Will do.

Thread Information