Thread: 16 ohm 10" Alinco Low Speakers?

16 ohm 10" Alinco Low Speakers?

I have a 2441/HL89/MA25/3110 combo that I will be using for a center channel.
    I want to use a Lancer 44 style cabinet to mount 10" Alinco speakers in along with the 3110. The 2441/HL89/MA25 will set on top. I am thinking of using a LE10A/PR10 combo. Is there a 10' Alinco Low speaker in 16 ohm which is fairly common that I might use two of so I can get down to 8 ohms?

It's L77 you're talking, I beleive, and there seems little point in using two woofers and two passive radiators if you're going to set the HF on top as opposed to MTM.

I'd use a single LE10H-1 and PR in L77 box....

Zilch, thanks for the reply. I need to go to clarity class! I don't want to use a Lancer 77 box as I won't be using the high end. I want to use a Lancer 44 size box and cut it for the 10" dirivers side by side. The LE-10/PR-10 combo looks to be the easiest. I have never heard of a 16 ohm 10" low speaker and was wondering if one was ever available. I could then have a double low at 8 ohms I would hope. I would use two 10" at 8 ohms but I don't think the 3110 would like it?

Quote Originally Posted by S20RVERT View Post
    I could then have a double low at 8 ohms I would hope. I would use two 10" at 8 ohms but I don't think the 3110 would like it?
    It will shift the operating frequency and Q of the low pass filter.

BUT, consider this: You don't likely want double woofers both playing full range; they will interfere with each other. What is the wavelength @ 800 Hz? ~17", no? So, for any location where the differential distance to the two drivers is 8.5", they will cancel, and for differentials less or more than that, some cancellation will occur. The same occurs for lower frequencies and greater differential distances. If you're trying to accomplish greater output by using dual woofers, that's the tradeoff.

What's the answer? If what you're trying to achieve is more bass output at the lowest frequencies, (and you should have some rational basis for desiring that,) you use a lowpass filter on one of the pair. Above that frequency, that one becomes higher impedance, and you're left with the crossover seeing primarily the impedance of the main woofer, and that works according to design.

If your objective is merely for it to look cool, put as many drivers and passive radiators as you may prefer there, but only run one.

If you're going to mount LE10s and PR10s in L44, a smaller box than L77, you'll likely have to retune the PR for optimum performance, which is probably not going to be as good, depending upon what performance is desired. The tradeoffs inherent in that approach should be modeled or determined empirically. That is not to suggest that L77 tuning is necessarily optimum, either.

Look again at L77. There's not one heck of a lot of baffle space consumed by the LE20-1 tucked in there between the drivers. I guess, in part, I'm not getting the concept. It's dual boxes you're talking about anyway, as you're not going to get double LE10s and PR10s in a single L44 box. Perhaps your intent is to use just the drivers and not the PRs, in which case the box being too small for the dual drivers may be a primary issue.... :dont-know

Have you modeled your intended alignment?

Thread Information