Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Modern Turntables

Quote Originally Posted by Rolf View Post
    Hi. If you compare the vinyl recording with the CD recording you will hear much more what a canon sounds like. That is if your speakers can handle it. No speaker can really do it.
    hello Rolf,

I can not really compare. My amplifier turns off in the (SA)CD playback with DC error if the guns shoot. My speaker reproduce the gunshots quite good. Not 100% a little distortion, but ok

regards
    juergen

in spring 2007, my brother-in-law asked me to repair a turntable...
    it was in the cellar....

Name:  DSCN8600.JPG
Views: 6078
Size:  71.3 KB

a thorens TD 124 MKII ... with Ortofon arm...

I do my best to restore what I could.... so sad to bring back the baby to
    the lucky father

some days after, I found it in Paris.... for an affordable price

Name:  DSCN9214.JPG
Views: 4983
Size:  78.0 KB

this is the one I wanted : the 124 mkI with the sme 3012 arm...

Now I'm sure that an angel is watching over me

my good friend has a vpi scout and it sounds fantastic. what a great player in the sub 2k area... complete with decent tone arm and cartridge.

have you seen altmanns diy tt?

http://www.altmann.haan.de/

Another DIY turntable . Is from my friend Rudi.

regards
    juergen
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Quote Originally Posted by spwal View Post

have you seen altmanns diy tt?

http://www.altmann.haan.de/
    Awww - thats too cool - the platter is on a Harley intake valve!
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

still modern turntables

Can't resist showing my turntables I use for years fully satisfied. I prefer studio equipment solid built and no gimmicks.

EMT 927: the big one (16") used mostly by radio stations (wheel driven)
    EMT 950: the biggest direct drive also for braodcasting
    EMT 948: also used for broadcasting but not so heavy and bulky (direct drive)
    All of them play all kind of music with no problems at all - even 1812 and no stylus-hopping.

peter
    JBL Paragon
    JBL 4435

scorpio

Modern or old?

Easiest answer, I have one of each - Scheu premier and Thorens 124 MkII. The Scheu beats the Thorens any day, but the Thorens still remain a lot more endearing (and also I have to say still need some love and care to show it's best)....

Great gala here, thank you !

BRAUN PS 500
    timeless design from 1973 - modern turntable?
    tonearm adjustable on three achses
    SME type headshell

Ortofon M15E super

After reading this thread I have a question: Why bother with Vinyl players at all? We all know (or should know) that a hi-end CD player makes much better sound. So why?????

After reading this thread I have a question: Why bother with Vinyl players at all? We all know (or should know) that a hi-end CD player makes much better sound. So why?????
    I think the main reason is thats there is so much good music that has not been put on CD yet, either because its somewhat obscure, or because the rights may not be available. You HAVE to have a turntable to access those archives.

And a lot of folks think the sound from vinyl is so much different than the sound from many CDs - CDs can be so harsh sometimes.

Plus, there is the whole issue with many popular CDs being produced from overcompressed (overly loud) recording and the whole distortion element that overcompression brings along. Older recording may sound better than newer CDs of the same material.

Thats 3 reasons, tho I am sure there are others ...
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4

hello Rolf

Two answers
    1.) Some old Aufnamen there is only on vinyl or CD version was disfigured by remastering
    2.) In my ears is the sound of a good Vinyl better than any CD. Unfortunately, my English is not enough from which to explain.

regards
    juergen

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    I think the main reason is thats there is so much good music that has not been put on CD yet, either because its somewhat obscure, or because the rights may not be available. You HAVE to have a turntable to access those archives.

And a lot of folks think the sound from vinyl is so much different than the sound from many CDs - CDs can be so harsh sometimes.

Plus, there is the whole issue with many popular CDs being produced from overcompressed (overly loud) recording and the whole distortion element that overcompression brings along. Older recording may sound better than newer CDs of the same material.

hello hjames,

You were faster and hattes even further response

regards
    juergen

Yes, that is right. Many LP's is not out on CD's. But, if one are, like me, listening to music, if you go to a concert. you will not hear all the noise a vinyl record produces. Hizz, Kick, Pops. On a cd you don't get this.

Again yes. But CD's produced with care produce much more music and details than a Vinyl.

Don't you believe I have Vinyl? And heard it? I think I have heard much more than most. I am a model 52, and know some regarding this, and nobody have ever proved to me that a "top of the line" LP player sound better than a cheap ($2000) CD player can do.

I know "price is not often better" on this forum is an issue, but a CD player witch cost $10000 (like mine) is much better than a $500 player, and a lot better than a Vinyl player at $50000. I have compared them.

Quote Originally Posted by rs237 View Post
    hello Rolf

Two answers
    1.) Some old Aufnamen there is only on vinyl or CD version was disfigured by remastering
    2.) In my ears is the sound of a good Vinyl better than any CD. Unfortunately, my English is not enough from which to explain.

regards
    juergen
    That is ok. Read my post.

if one are, like me, listening to music, if you go to a concert. you will not hear all the noise a vinyl record produces.
    Hizz, Kick, Pops. On a cd you don't get this.
    Again yes. But CD's produced with care produce much more music and details than a Vinyl.

I return to the basic answer - some things are just not available on CD.
    If you want to hear early Ellington, or Scott Joplin piano rolls on disc, or thousands and thousands of other recordings that exist no where else, you bother with a turntable and needles and all of that. So, for that, no matter how good a CD player is, its a moot point when the music isn't available on that media.

I am certainly not the audiophile (meant as a complement) that many people here are, I am low to low-mid budget at best, and most of the time I don't want the bother of vinyl - but there are sometimes when nothing else will do.

Thread Information