Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Found these

Hmmm.

So...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by robertbartsch View Post
    I read the stuff about the life insurance policy of JBL.... this is not plausible, however. a "term-life" policy does not pay out on a suicide..... and a loan can always be made on a "whole life" policy and this does not require death/suicide...

consequently, I believe the stories on the life insurance aspect of the life of JBL is BS.

I'm a CPA in public practice for +30 years... (now retired)....
    I don't know all of the details but a close friend's brother bought a life insurance policy that would pay out even if suicide was involved. He bought this within the last decade. Tragically he cashed in on the policy a couple of years ago with a gun. It did pay. The details make the story even more tragic, but suffice it to say that this type of policy is still available if you search it out.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by robertbartsch View Post
    consequently, I believe the stories on the life insurance aspect of the life of JBL is BS..

http://www.audioheritage.org/html/hi...g/founding.htm

On Thursday, 24 September 1949, Lansing stopped by for the last time. He drove to San Marcos, and, despondent over the course of business, took his own life later that evening. He is buried at Inglewood Park Cemetery in South Los Angeles.

A few years earlier Lansing had been wise enough to secure a life insurance policy in the name of the company. The policy was for $10,000, and it was the payment on this policy that enabled Bill Thomas to secure the future of the company.

Lansing had left his one-third share of the company to his wife. During the early fifties Thomas negotiated the purchase of this amount from Mrs. Lansing and thus became the sole owner of the company.

Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    On Thursday, 24 September 1949, Lansing stopped by for...
    Sure, but that is precisely the story that Robert was questioning. He rightly brought up the fact that life insurance policies typically have a suicide exclusion.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    Sure, but that is precisely the story that Robert was questioning. He rightly brought up the fact that life insurance policies typically have a suicide exclusion.

Widget
    I interpreted Roberts post as calling BS on my recall of the history, since at post time I had no linked reference to the insurance info, until now.

JBL bought the policy sometime before his 1949 death, so assuming a purchase date of 1945-6-7 would be reasonable. Things have changed since then ?

We, of course, don't know where John Eargle got the info ...but I trust his word.

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    I interpreted Roberts post as calling BS on my recall of the history, since at post time I had no linked reference to the insurance info, until now.

JBL bought the policy sometime before his 1949 death, so assuming a purchase date of 1945-6-7 would be reasonable. Things have changed since then ?

We, of course, don't know where John Eargle got the info ...but I trust his word.
    Like Robert I had always heard that insurance companies wouldn't pay out on life policies in the case of suicide, but as I posted above, apparently there are policies available even today that do not exclude suicide... I don't recommend finding one as a method for for solving one's problems though.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    I don't recommend that technique for solving one's problems though.
    Widget

Whew , a relief... I've been contemplating same after screwing with Win7 & iTunes for too long

The obvious logic fail is that his procedure did not allow him to enjoy the fruits of his action.

Suicide is not a defense against payment to the family in Missouri, even today.

Thread Information