Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DSP/room eq and 4430's

Another quick point. My understanding is that Auto-Eq really isn't worth much above 150hz anyways, it will most likely cause more issues than it fixes due to reflections/mic placement/etc. You will probalby just want to leave flat above this point and EQ manually if at all.

Frederick

he can have his digital input implemented into the driverack if we bypass the ADC with a digital receiver. If the sampling rate is non uniform eg 50khz instead of 48 , then it needs an async sample rate converter too . IF the component quality is good inside the driverack it worths the effort as well . It's a job for a tech because of small footprint IC's. I woudl be interested about the DAC ic-sat the outputs, rest can be upgraded easily.
    Btw you can upgrade most CDP-s this way too to acept spdif or AES ebu.

Fredric has what I want to do correct. I have a hard time explaining what I want to do, just ask my wife!
    Maybe that is what I should do, just apply EQ for the low frequencies. I was just hoping that there would be an all in one solution without the extra bi-amping, and D to A conversion.
    I will continue to look at the program Room EQ Wizard....looks kind of promising.
    Thanks,
    Rob

how old is the driverack? If you have multibit DAC inside instead of the 90's delta sigma it might worth the effort. Please post picture of the output region.

Quote Originally Posted by UreiCollector View Post
    I really think your biggest benefit of EQ will be had below 150hz (ie, use your driverack on the subwoofers only). For any issues above that, I would look into room treatment to correct.
    This is not consistent with my experience. Apply EQ where needed, when needed.

Room anomalies can occur anywhere in the spectrum. These can be mitigated by notching the resonance, thereby lessening the excitation. Room treatments are good, but most often impractical (always impractical in SR...) and not of the desired decor (therefore, impractical - oh, I already said that... ).

I personally don't appreciate the results of autoEQ, nor understand why one would even desire this. Apply modest, careful EQ - learn what is happening and what your filtering does. Listen, and listen again. That is far more valuable.

As example, last weekend, in a crummy club in a far away land, I was introduced to the SR "Systeme a la Crap". I won't bother naming the ingredients, but they are far below most anything anyone here would consider. But, there it was, the house system, no possibility of using my board or racks or carefully tuned cabinets, and I was charged with the challenge of throwing out a good show for the band and fans. The GEQ's were ineffective and spent, the mains impossibly harsh and honky, so I spent all night long on the individual input strip EQ's, trialing various notching of room resonances, and then alternatively boosting of the peak area of the A-weighted SPL curve to improve intelligibility and clarity, and then cutting it back to reduce the bite. These results were transitory, impacted by the waxing and waning of the crowd. Your results will be far more static, unless you move the deck chairs.

But you'll understand what is happening...

yip i would say use it for crossover only, & maybe slight eq , after you r finished with room treatment .

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by UreiCollector View Post
    Another quick point. My understanding is that Auto-Eq really isn't worth much above 150hz anyways, it will most likely cause more issues than it fixes due to reflections/mic placement/etc. You will probalby just want to leave flat above this point and EQ manually if at all.

What of this Audyssey EQ device I think Tom Holman is behind this, but it’s a costly EQ unless you win a modest lottery win?

http://www.audyssey.com/

Mode Calculator

I found this to be helpful , though it can be depressing to see just how many issues your particular room may have. If you haven't seen it:
    http://www.harman.com/xls/Room%20Mode%20Calculator.xls
    You use it to find not only the best listening position(s), but speaker location(s).

I think he wants to take digital data straight out of the laptop (or whatever) and run straight into the Driverack without making it analog in between. Laptop sound cards aren't worth a flip anyway, unless you buy a high-quality outbard model.
    but the problem is (as I read it) the Driverack he has won't accept a digital input, even if he can get the digital datastream out of the Laptop or whatever.

Thread Information