Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DAC

DAC

Guys

Is it true that the DAC is more important than the transport ? ie . Buy a top draw DAC and buy a top draw transport later ?.

TIA, Rich

You are better off buying one of those old fashioned things called a CD player IME.

Rich, I fear you're turning into an audiophile. Stop, it isn't worth it...

Uhmmm

I guess I just got told I need a CD with one optical input 4 zee itunes man ! The Quad sounds crap, its like washing ya nads in bleach.

Quote Originally Posted by richluvsound View Post
    Guys

Is it true that the DAC is more important than the transport ?
    TIA, Rich
    Both are important.....It's the ol' weak link in the chain....

IMHO, with the convergence of multimedia, dsp, PC-audio..et al. DACs are a moving target. With rapid product cycle iterations and their high cost, it doesn't make sense to jump into the separate DAC transport arena until they mature (unless you have money to burn).
    However, there are great CD players available with 'mature' transports and digital output options. Look into a CD player with great transport and buy the DAC later when the market settles down. Who knows...maybe down the road you will want a DAC/digital crossover(DEQX) instead of a stand alone DAC component.

Have a listen to the Rega Saturn, I highly recommend it.
    Last edited by JBLOG; 12-06-2007 at 04:19 PM. Reason: bad english

I guess I just got told I need a CD with one optical input 4 zee itunes man !
    Cool, I thought we were losing you to the Audiofool side there...I had visions of you cryogenically treating your cables next

Rich,

Can I make a suggestion.

As you already use your mac for I tunes, buya nice USB Dac and set it up witn good ripping software and drivers.

There was good article on 6moons about it recently. There is no compromise in quality if you keep the cable from the mac to the USB DAC short. Buy buy a good dac with a crystal lock to low jitter.

I think its getting to the stage where music servers are going to be the way.

There are plenty of Universal players that do SACD and DVD audio but how do you store and player 400 cd's?? its easy with a Mac .

Then get your TT turbo'd for the real deal.

Ian

IMO a good DAC can do wonders. I owned a dCS Delius for a while, and it was awesome. Very detailed, total controll, but still musicall and easy to listen to. They go on Audiogon for about $3k. They are well worth it.

As for transports. I once compared a Sony SCD-777ES and the mighty McIntosh MCD-1000. Hooked up to the McIntosh MDA-1000 i thought the difference was quite big, in the Mc's favor.

-Tim
    2213 + 2435HPL w/aquaplas + H9800 (Matsj edition)

Rich,

do be aware that the USB interface is limited to 16bit Red Book quality signals and should you want something better in the future you would need a different DAC.

The DEQX would be a good idea though. DAC, digital preamp, and crossover in one box, and as good as most Dacs I've heard. Hell you could even EQ them there fog horns you've got.

Great Idea.

Merlin,

I think I know where there is one . Would'nt I need a PC to run it ?

It Would make sense with all these speakers I'm building. Infact , It would certainly help with that 4 way idea we spoke about.

Rich

Merlin,

It Would make sense with all these speakers I'm building. In fact , It would certainly help with that 4 way idea we spoke about.

Rich
    Ho there - I run Virtual PC 6 under Leopard on my old Powermac G4 (dualie!)
    and I do have a Stealth Serial Port installed
    http://geethree.com/stealth/index.html ... but I'll admit I have yet to try talking to any hardware through it using PeeSea software
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

I'm using a Rane RPM26z as a DAC/crossover/equalizer, it's working great. The connection to the PC is via Ethernet. Supposedly the operating software runs using Virtual PC on a Mac.

Here is a link to an informative document about Analog to Digital conversion on Rane's site which may give you some insight into your transport/dac question too.

http://www.rane.com/note137.html

Cool !

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Ho there - I run Virtual PC 6 under Leopard on my old Powermac G4 (dualie!)
    and I do have a Stealth Serial Port installed
    http://geethree.com/stealth/index.html ... but I'll admit I have yet to try talking to any hardware through it using PeeSea software
    Thanks Heather,

I was thinking about doing the Leopard thing . I have a new MacBook ( intel) and an older iMac. Its only £ 120 to upgrade both. Thats way cheaper than buying a UGLY Pissie .

I will have to pick those brains of yours after Xmas when I get round to the up grade.

Thanks again.
    Rich

Quote Originally Posted by merlin View Post
    Rich,
    Quote Originally Posted by merlin View Post

do be aware that the USB interface is limited to 16bit Red Book quality signals and should you want something better in the future you would need a different DAC.

The DEQX would be a good idea though. DAC, digital preamp, and crossover in one box, and as good as most Dacs I've heard. Hell you could even EQ them there fog horns you've got.
    Merlin,

What I meant was get a DAC that has USB capability, if not you can buy USB adapters .....most DACs have these digital inputs and can accept 96/24 or higher:

- XLR cable to the AES connector.
    - Toslink light pipe to OPTICAL
    - Coaxial cable to the SPDIF connector.

Merlin,

It Would make sense with all these speakers I'm building. Infact , It would certainly help with that 4 way idea we spoke about.

Rich

Rich,

I think DEQX makes sense if you want to develop some of you own ideas and have some flexibility. There are two points to weigh up though. It won't necessarily give you the classic British Hifi diddly Dee nirvana thing and you will need some flight simulator training A) to make it work B) to get a proper workable result. (see Mr Widgets posts in many other threads).

If you can pipe your favourite tunes from your Mac into the DEQX you are made.

Hi Ian,

I've found the M Audio Firewire unit to interface well with the earlier PowerBooks, the optical output of the later MacBooks doesn't seem quite so robust.

If using an Apple, I find that sadly music seems to sound so much better being stored as WAV files played back without the "help" of iTunes. A pain as iTunes is so convenient. I've yet to hear a HD based setup that sounds to me anything like as good as a really decent CD player, but I'm sure they exist.

Thread Information