Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Soundtrax FOH

You meen this one
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Or this one?? 12 is about right. What a night

Rob

Just what was she thinking? Then there is that Bab at the show! And you reckon that fountain was wet.

Ian
    Last edited by Ian Mackenzie; 05-29-2004 at 04:31 AM.

Bose Quiet Comfort 2 Noise Cancelling Headphones

Hey, Oldmics...

I wondered if you've tried these at FOH? I finally buckled and got a pair, and debuted them last night at the desk.

A pricy but superb option for improving isolation FOH. I could solo more effectively, both individual inputs and any of the eight busses, too, with much better understanding of what was going on. I think it resulted in an improved mix, and thereby recording, as well.

What do you use?
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Hey Bo

I have not used the newer version.

I did have an opportunity to use the predecessors (Quiet Comfort) when on a few single engine small plane rides about a year ago.They were cool in the fact that the noise cancelling function did work pretty well.

On the ground before takeoff with no ambient sound being produced I had a sensation of pressure being applied to the eardrum along with white noise hiss.I assume part of the process to reintroduce the sound into the cups.This was an annoying feature to put up with.The audio that I listened to on the flights were mostly dialogue and conversation with only a small amount of music listened to.So I really can not comment about the audio quality produced for music.

While mixing I really do not spend much time in the cans. Just in and out fast, mostly for troubleshooting or to ascertain sounds in key patchs or acoustic guitar tones and of course to listen for open mic situations.

I have a boatload of Sony MDR 7506 headphones.They travel well and are the LOUDEST devices (very hi sensitivity) that I am aware of.Some consoles that I have run across have very low output capabilitys from the headphone out so its wise to have hi-sens cans.

Maybe BOSE is a better product for making you NOT hear sounds than they are at reproducing sound.

(Insert favorite BOSE slam here!!!)

Oldmics

Originally posted by Oldmics
    While mixing I really do not spend much time in the cans. Just in and out fast, mostly for troubleshooting or to ascertain sounds in key patchs or acoustic guitar tones and of course to listen for open mic situations.
    Hey...

Me neither - only quick snapshots. That's why these seemed such an improvement. They have a gain setting (lo/hi) and offered a much more clear presentation of the source, than my Sony's do. I was skeptical they could isolate the house, but they worked fine. Lemme know if you ever trial yours FOH - I'd be interested in your observations.

Thanks, Oldmics...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

RIP 2009
    On the note of headphones - what do you guys think the best set is in the $100-$150 range? I used to have a set of Koss, (model #?), that I absolutely loved. One thing I really liked about them is that they were single drivers, so no crossover artifacts, etc. I'd like to get a good set again, but haven't listened to any in years...

John

I have had a pair of Koss Pro 4AA for over twenty years. They have great sound if you can take how heavy they are. I see they are making them again and can be bought for under $60. Thats a lot of bang for the buck.
    I have to figure out what to do about the ear pads which have deflated or dripped out over the years. Any one have any ideas. I cant find any replacement parts, but have read it just had water in it. I thought about using a really fine syringe and injuecting water back into it and trying to seal it up with a small improvised patch.

RIP 2009
    Yep - it was the Pro 4AA that I had. I didn't know they had re-released them - I'll have to look into this. Thanks for the info.

'Anyone else have any other recommendations? If technology has come up with something better, I'm all ears...

John

Recommendation

I would highly recommend the Grado RS serie.
    Not on the cheap side but incredible low and clear bass extention and to die for smooth high end. I had many headphones in the past (read prick neighbors) and the Grado is simply the best.
    http://www.gradolabs.com/frameset_main.htm

Fred.

RIP 2009
    I see Bo is using a Soundcraft board, so since he seems happy with it I went ahead and picked up this little JBL version of the Soundcraft Spirit Folio1, (they call it the MusicMix 16, but it's identical to the Soundcraft) - NOS on eBay for $219. I guess you could get them with the Eon systems or something. Hopefully, it'll work pretty good for the little PA my band is using, (4628B each side, etc.). Obviously, nothing near what Bo's using, but at least the same family...

For $219, what's to lose...? The guy has a bunch more if anyone's interested.

Edit: 'Didn't realize it was one of the forum regulars selling these. Thanks!

John
    Last edited by johnaec; 09-14-2004 at 12:00 PM.

Originally posted by johnaec
    Obviously, nothing near what Bo's using, but at least the same family...
    Am I'm lusting for a SeriesTwo... But we're nowhere near what Oldmics lives with.

Looks sweet, John! If it's got the Ultra mic preamps, that's a wonderful value. So, 8 mono, 2 stereo, 3 Aux sends? Tell about the EQ section...?
    Last edited by boputnam; 09-14-2004 at 04:06 PM.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

RIP 2009
    Originally posted by boputnam
    If it's got the Ultra mic preamps, that's a wonderful value. So, 8 mono, 2 stereo, 3 Aux sends? Tell about the EQ section...?
    Well, it won't get here for a few days, so I haven't been able to play with it yet, but each channel has 3-band EQ with parametric frequency for the mids, plus a low-cut button and L-R pan for each channel, plus some other stuff. It does have the "UltraMic" preamps, and also 48V phantom supply. The manual is here , (I haven't really gone through it yet...). 'Still beats anything else I've seen at that price...here's the eBay link.

John

Hi johnaec

Just want to make a comment about your statement regarding the EQ section on your new console,

" but each channel has 3-band EQ with parametric frequency for the mids, "

Parametric frequency equalisation is a three way function consisting of a selectable frequency point,amplitude adjustment of selected frequency and bell curve shape of selected frequency.

The frequency system used on the mid range section on your new console uses two of those features.Frequency point selection and amplitude adjustment.This equalisation is referred to as a sweep center section.

Definately better than using a fixed point EQ but not quite as sophisticated as parametric.

Good choice for a new desk!!

Oldmics

Oldmics

have you ever used the Massenburg GML-8200? If you have, what did you think of it? I have an opportunity to buy a used one, great condition, at a good price!

Thread Information