Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Soundtrax FOH

I have only tried Goldlines twice. Both times the RTA was faulty. Sort of developed a negative attitude about them. I have used an Ivie and really liked it. The 3051A is a great tool though.

Ken

AB Amps

Bo

Should mention that AB has offered to build me some custom 4 channel amps for the Westlakes. Will keep you informed.

Ken

Whoa...

We are in dire need of a "humbled bowing smilie"...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Bo,

I have a very good friend who runs a Pro Hire Firm,

He has a Spirit desk I am sure: I will take some lessons if not out on the road perhaps mixing some live dat master down.

http://www.hbaudio.com/home.htm

Ian
    Last edited by Ian Mackenzie; 03-26-2004 at 02:02 AM.

Huh, sound I see we have the live-sound contingent here. I should have know that was in the background of some of y'all.
    I hire rigs about 35-40 days/nights a year (mostly Meyer, Turbosound, JBL, and EV), and have sat for hours at FOH ( I also read the LAB forum now and then to get the flavor of things), loaded and unloaded many trucks, put up roof/lights, and gone through every scenario that a promoter can go through, including running home once to grab my "D" rig to supplement a rig that the kid sent for the job couldn't get to work right (believe we later found it was a console problem?!). This was for an outdoor show, 1000+ people, and the main boxes I grabbed were my old pair of 4560's...........they acquitted themselves quite nicely, and all the components were new in them anyway...............no time to assemble a multibox 2-3 way rig and integrate it all, so I went simple. We were getting bass from the subs, anyway, so we just needed the mid/hi. It was a JBL rig, and when I came flying up in the truck, the kid smiled at the old beater cabs, and we both enjoyed hearing them back in a working environment..............

Gate / Expander

Hey, oldmics...

Sum'thin we never discussed: What Gate / Expander are you using?

I've been using the Behringer MDX4400 comp/limiters - fine for peak limiting and controlling gain, but I've got to get better control on the noise. Simply way too many open mics on stage... , most particularly the Kit.

I'm thinking of swapping for the MDX4600 - do you know this? Pretty sweet unit, and sure saves the ever-at-a-premium RU's...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Howdy Bo
    Well,here is where we separate the real gear from crap.To upfront answer your question there is no combination gate /expander that I use.For gating applications I have two favorites.If I am doing the same act over and over I would use the BSS units model # DPR 504.These units allow for frequency keying.Great when you have the time to dial them in (as in use with the same act nite after nite).These units allow you to taper the sound of the cans thru the frequency keying mode-great for eliminating that cymbal next to the floor tom mic and creating a unique drum sound.As I said they take too long to dial in for a one off.
    The standby workhorse gate for me is the Gatex which was then taken over by Valley People and then put to death by corporate America.The Gatex and the Valley People Gatex have the fastest signal thruput time (10ms) allowing for tight clamping.You will still get gate noise if the voltage threshhold is set too hi (as in a cymbal opening the gate).That is where the BSS unit shines.But for fast on the fly work thats the ticket.The Gatexs are still up for grabs on the bay for around $100.00 for a single rack unit containing 4 gates.
    The only thing that I expand is on vocals and that is done thru the BSS 901 units.
    Now as for the "B" word. Mom ,always said if you can"t say something nice!!!! Then don"t say anything.

"B"eringer leaves me speachless.

Oldmics

Hey, oldmics...

Thanks. I agree on the "B" word, and have limited my use to the comp/limiters and there only on bass and kick, and once on a floozy vocalist with pathetic mic etiquette. Did the trick, er, so to speak...

But, I'm struggling with noise coming off the Kit mic ensemble. I'll look into those units, but as you correctly note, time is never too abundant FOH, so I may be forced into the Gatex.
    Going researching...
    Last edited by boputnam; 04-03-2004 at 01:29 PM.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

On second thought, that BSS-504 looks tops. Can't be that hard to dial-in, hey?

Especially if you were feeling charitable like you'd wanna share some settings you've found that work...?
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Thumbs up Spirit 8 has arrived...

OK, I know oldmics - for you, this is a coffee table - but it's a nice upgrade from the Spirit Live 4x2...

Any knob farmers out there...?

Boy-howdy!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

I'm posting so I can look at this at work...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

RIP 2009
    Oooohh...that looks like fun! I really want to see you guys at a gig sometime! Rumor has it there might be some Sub1500s in the mix sometime?

John

Bo,

Looks the part,

I will refer your situation to John Harvey tomorrow night over a few beers while knob farming.

Ian

Active DI's

Hey, oldmics...

Since I'm not qualified (nor solicited... ) to speak on things ParaMiniGonnerGon, maybe you could share your thoughts on active DI's...?

I've been using Radials, but wonder if you've got other experiences that would benefit my listening audience...?

Oh - and worked one of them Drawmer Surround SixPack units last night - not certain if I'm in-love, or not...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

pangea
    Hi all!

Thanks for sharing your knowledge and insights like this.
    I have always been interested in the recording dimension of Hi-Fi and love to read this kind of stuff.

I really can't add anything here, I only know that I prefer voices to be near and un-curtailed.
    I want to be able to look down the singer's throat to see what they had for breakfast, so to speak. And isn't it so that some amount of compression on the voice will add to that nearness and airiness on the voice?

BR
    Roland

Thread Information