Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Santa was early this year! A new 2 way

cost

Ashley,

I dont think its wise of us to advertise the value of our gear on the open WWW. Not all who surf the net are honest

Rich

Everything us DIY hackers make is crap.

We mostly build with junk found at the curb on bulk rubbish pickup day....

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch View Post

i fix my bad serrounds with rubber from my bicycle innertube - werks real gud -
    why pay high ebay prices to MerryMelodies on ePay when tubes R cheep!!

Sound is UNNAFFECTED!
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post

Sound is UNNAFFECTED!
    Can you please supply me the T-S specs for your endeavors?

Merry Christmas everybody!

Thats it !

Sound is UNNAFFECTED!
    Heather,

dont shatter the Illusion . You tell everyone our DIY secrets and your gonna drive up the prices of JUNK. The price of used innertubes will shoot through the roof and a tube silicone will be more expensive than an new 1500 al

Rich

Rich,

Poms are hoarders so I am shore you have a the odd door stoppers kicking around.

Apparently, the prices of junk went up as a result of Ebay ( the cyber trash recyclers) a long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Guido View Post

Many people go and use digital active crossovers. I wouldn't even touch one.
    I'll bite: cause "once you start using Digital Room Correction - there 's no way back" ?

joke aside (hope I hit funny nerve) , these are surely the neatest pair of speakers I ever saw!

JBL 4645

Sound is UNNAFFECTED!
    LOL she’s having us on, hey Heather, on your bike. I tried using (glue solution) that is used for repairing (inner tubes) on one of the JBL control 5 this year, really no wind-up I have the glue on the desk next to me still, damn it was messy, I’m telling you, I was desperate to fix the rubber surround to the cone and it was a dogs dinner I’m telling you.

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch View Post

Rich

Then a pm would be advisable I guess, I mean I can guess on some figures for the parts, but it depends on where the parts come from? The timbre really isn’t an issue, just about any good ole timbre yard has good prices.

I noticed you didn’t use MDF, I’ve seen that timbre before, in fact my dad likes it so much he’s used for other things that don’t included loudspeakers, its called (strand board) I think?

Mate up in Scotland was using the same type for his JBL project this year, looks like a lot of sanding down on those edges to get a neat and tidy smooth finish.

Guido, congratulations, looks like the big guy was indeed very good to you this year, hope you get many good years of listening enjoyment out of them.

Mr. Rich, you have produced another elegant set of speakers once again, you are on a roll. I remember seeing them in the "Dinner in England" thread and its nice to see your project completed, you must be very happy with them.

Very nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post

Poms are hoarders

Not fair that Ian - although I am sitting here looking at quite a pile of Be and Alnico at the moment To Westlake or to give generously to the 4345 cause? That is the question.

I've now commissioned Rich to build some lovely Kinoshita clones as his next project. His work is remarkable when seen up close and his attention to detail and diligence in research is first class. I just don't have the time or anything like the woodworking skills that this guy has.

Guido, do you have any plots yet? I'm particularly interested in your use of the 140L cab for the 1500FE. Bet you are having a ball down there this festive time of year!

Elephant ....... !

Quote Originally Posted by merlin View Post
    Not fair that Ian - although I am sitting here looking at quite a pile of Be and Alnico at the moment To Westlake or to give generously to the 4345 cause? That is the question.

I've now commissioned Rich to build some lovely Kinoshita clones as his next project. His work is remarkable when seen up close and his attention to detail and diligence in research is first class. I just don't have the time or anything like the woodworking skills that this guy has.

Merlin,

your too kind. It really is a lot of fun . I neglected my wood skills for many years- People just want fast and cheap these days. ( hardly worth sharpening my tools for ) But , thanks to this forum I'm really enjoying the splinters again. The bonus being" the people I've met" oh yeah , and the quality sounds I have in my life.

Now , about help with this Deqx . The manual is the same size as a copy "War and Peace". BTW, If I build westlakes, I'm building 2 pairs.

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by richluvsound View Post
    BTW, If I build westlakes, I'm building 2 pairs. Rich

Pffffffffff Westlakes.......
    What is a Westlake compared to my christmas present? Nada!
    I'm a happy man

Congrat's to You Guido for a stunning pair of speakers! And my hat's of to you Rich: they are gorgeous!

I'm really interested in how they sound. As you know Guido, I have a pair of ME150's, and I recently couldn't help bying a pair of those Ebay 2435's as well. My thought was to loose my 2450 and 2405 and use the 2435 instead. So, how do they sound? Do you miss anything above 15kHz?

Best regards and happy holidays on You all!

Quote Originally Posted by merlin View Post
    Guido, do you have any plots yet? I'm particularly interested in your use of the 140L cab for the 1500FE.
    No, I didn't have the time to make plots. I just HEAR.
    I don't use the 1500FE. I use the ME150.
    The cabinets have app. 145 liters volume and are tuned to 34Hz. Richard managed it to hit the tuning/volume of both speakers within one Hz.
    The low end is amazing. Can't imagine what additional improvement the 1500AL will bring. It will bring some though

Quote Originally Posted by Jakob View Post
    So, how do they sound? Do you miss anything above 15kHz?
    Sure NOT! I have some plots from the test cabs used for xover design and modification and they show extension to 20kHz. Actually they go higher than a 2405.
    Be aware that the GT network for the H4338 have a rolloff starting at 14kHz!
    The overall sound is extremely balanced and smooth. I can hear sax sessions for hours without problems.
    The imaging of these horns is unbelievable.

The plot below is a combined graph. Low end is measured nearfield.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

You can get usable output above 15K out of them. It may not be as good as a dedicated tweeter would be but what's there works for me. If you could live with a pair of 4430/35's you can certainly live with these.

I use my 2435's above 1.5K in a 3 way. Here's what mine look like on SR waveguides. The top pair is the actual measured and the bottoms are the predicted.

Rob
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thread Information