Thread: SAM I am?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

SAM I am?

I just stumbled upon these while looking at the JBL site...

http://www.jblsynthesis.com/products...=US&Region=USA

Looks very interesting.

Widget
    Attached Images Attached Images   

That SAM1HF unit could easily be incorporated into many DIY designs... looks like an excellent way to get an outstanding top end... or a complete system with their SAM2LF.

Anyone know anything about them?

Widget

Reminds me a lot of the system Greg Timbers had in his home Greg Timbers & DIY - looks like things are progressing!
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Quote Originally Posted by boputnam View Post
    Reminds me a lot of the system Greg Timbers had in his home...
    Ya think?

Looking around a bit more I found the list price. One SAM1HF is $3300... yeah sure that is a lot compared to a pair of 20 year old monitors, but for your $3300 you are getting two brand new compression drivers and a state of the art dual horn. I'd say it's a pretty good deal.

Widget

Is it the same horn used in the Array? Is it usable for 2 way use?

I have seen them, but not the price. It's not that bad really.

-Tim
    2213 + 2435HPL w/aquaplas + H9800 (Matsj edition)

I want to know more about the 8" woofers....

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    Ya think?

Looking around a bit more I found the list price. One SAM1HF is $3300... yeah sure that is a lot compared to a pair of 20 year old monitors, but for your $3300 you are getting two brand new compression drivers and a state of the art dual horn. I'd say it's a pretty good deal.
    Widget
    Widget,
    the 2431H is app. 400$, so 2900$ for one Horn and a supertweeter?
    Thank you.
    No matter how we look at it. JBL isn't interested in DIYers any longer! Period.

There is a huge market for those overpriced HiFi Gear. And this market is far more interesting than the DIY market.
    Everyone with a bit experience can calculate the margin on a pair of Everest 2 or K2-9800. Even if you fill in spare parts prices (which contain traditionally itself a high margin) you will end with a dream margin.
    That's what I learned to understand. No way around it. No sense to complain.

Quote Originally Posted by Guido View Post
    Widget,
    Thank you.
    Maybe I've been playing around with the TADs too long... a single TAD 4003 driver and horn was around $4750 when they were available.

As for what is a fair profit margin and all that, it is for the market to decide, but I think that undercutting and cheaping out is what leads to lack of healthcare and the use of unsafe plastics and paints... we need to scale back and buy less, but buy better and be prepared to pay a fair wage. America was like that when McIntosh and JBL were the premium brands and eagerly sought around the globe.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Guido View Post
    Widget,
    Thank you.

There is a huge market for those overpriced HiFi Gear. And this market is far more interesting than the DIY market.
    Everyone with a bit experience can calculate the margin on a pair of Everest 2 or K2-9800. Even if you fill in spare parts prices (which contain traditionally itself a high margin) you will end with a dream margin.
    That's what I learned to understand. No way around it. No sense to complain.
    JBL is very interested in the DIY market, Guido. Nowadays it is in the automobile market, though, not the home-system market.

I wouldn't be surprised if JBL originally hoped just to break even on the Everest II. A lot of development time, expensive components, and little incentive to tool up for automated assembly since there is a limited volume in sales.
    David F
    San Jose

Obsolete
    I just found this thread. I missed it when it was new.

I have been wondering for some time now why more folks weren't buying the SAM1HF's and putting them with LE14H's or 2235H's and now I guess I know why.

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    I just found this thread. I missed it when it was new.

I have been wondering for some time now why more folks weren't buying the SAM1HF's and putting them with LE14H's or 2235H's and now I guess I know why.
    Apparently I started it years ago... it can be funny to read ones posts from a number of years ago, I don't remember starting the thread much less any of it's content, but I do now know quite a bit about the SAM1HF. The retail price for example isn't $3300 each, but $2500 each. Is that terribly expensive? I think it is fair when you consider a TAD TH-4003 was the same price a few years ago and the SAM1HF comes with brand new factory installed drivers.

I am planning on buying a pair to go with a pair of LE14H-3s I have to do a cosmetic makeover on the 1400 Array. At ~$6K plus my time I'll have a pair of $12K 1400 Arrays that have an aesthetic more in line with my tastes.

Widget

MJC
    When I first saw the system, online, I firgured it was the Project Array, set in-wall. If for no other reason, as to the name, SYNTHESIS® ONE ARRAY.
    Just like the Synthesis 4, is basicly the Performance Series.

Thread Information