Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Westlake TM1/TM3 clones

dont cry !

Andy,

Who else am I gonna get to help me design the new berlin studio
    besides, you can get a ticket for 40 quid
    I'm gonna push to build the next fabric in berlin. Did you hear he has got the dome ? God , I hope he dont use any more of that Martin-Tannoy crap. OPUS mate, buy Cornish

Rich

Thanks Rich,
    Actually I've a 5234 with 800hz cards that's also surplus to requirements.
    On the subjevt of port tuning;
    I've just done some calcs for the tuning of the TM1 and my own and am getting 46 hz which seems a bit high for a box this size when similar JBL models look to be tuned much lower(28-32hz). Any recommendations?
    Cheers
    Frank

Cooky, if you talk nicely to Rich he may even let you visit him in Londinium for some words of wisdom.

If you're not already a JBL convert, he'll sort that out!

Quote Originally Posted by Andyoz View Post
    Dave . . . . - these are clones.
    Oh, yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by cooky1257 View Post
    Thanks Rich,
    Actually I've a 5234 with 800hz cards that's also surplus to requirements.
    On the subjevt of port tuning;
    I've just done some calcs for the tuning of the TM1 and my own and am getting 46 hz which seems a bit high for a box this size when similar JBL models look to be tuned much lower(28-32hz). Any recommendations?
    Cheers
    Frank

Go low remember when these were designed they couldnt record the LF we get on CD and DVD. Before you get the saw out , Get the gaussing checked on the 2231a's . I get mine done in Berlin, but there should be someone in the UK.

That is one hell of a deal BTW, Congrats
    our new cab is tuned to 20 hrtz .

Merry Xmas to you and yours ,

Rich

Thanks Rich, I will go low.
    I asked because I wanted to be sure that EBS tuning would still maintain 'that' JBL bass.
    The previous owner informed me they were all checked out by JBL about 5 years ago as 'within spec' so i assume everything's tickedy boo-I may still give them a treat in the new year
    All the best to you and yours,
    Frank

Refurb finished but stalled**@^%

Hi All,
    Just an update as to the progress(or not) with this little job.
    First pic shows what I brought home(no wonder the missus wasn't too pleased;-).
    After removing the front baffle and sanding, filling and making a new xover cut out, the next job was removing all the old damping-for health reasons if nothing else, some old studios were full of asbestos and wasn't sure what had settled into those fibres.
    Next up was sanding and priming the 2397's(I masked off the foilcals)
    The I sprayed them up in a nice satin black.
    After reversing both baffles to present 'virgin ply for glueing I used the drivers to help clamp the old baffle onto the new.
    Stay tuned for more pics...
    Attached Images Attached Images      

You are to be envied. The I would also like to buy if they had been in Germany.

regards
    juergen

Part2

Part deux.
    After using the original box builders work as a template I learned a good lesson-don't.The baffles were sanded and varnished with clearcote satin.
    Pic 1 Shows the horns mounted for the first time.His horn cutouts were on the p**s(crooked) so I had to compensate at the rear with frame sealant and extra bracing.
    Pic 2 I sourced the 100mm dia ports from Germany and cut them to give a tuning @27 hz.The original boxes were tuned to 45 hz. I placed them similar to the current TM1's.
    Pic3 shows the painted cabs with a trap door top to help 2440 installation/removal. I couldn't remove the rear panels and wanted a clean front so any future work goes on through the speaker cut outs and the trap door.
    Pic4 This was a test assembly before the bass driver rebating.Afterwards the baffle was glued in place and all cab edges were radiused.
    Just need to get them to the listening room to install the bass drivers and xovers.

Part3

After opening up the xovers to mod them (to 3106's-ish)for a higher xover point on the 2405 I found only the coils to be waxed and the caps to look in good condition.Coils were swapped for air cored 0.3mh and the caps were straight swapped for some new Soniq's.
    Finally we see the finished (well apart from the bottom panels but I have some plans there...) cabs with the 2231a's installed and clamped with M8 hex socket bolts all ready to shove my big Tannoy 215's aside.
    T'wasn't to be though as one of the 2440's has proved to be blown so it's all stop for now while I source some replacement 2441 dias.
    Future plans include some Charge coupled xover mods and eventual bass recone/recharges.....

Hi, they are looking sweet!
    I really like the woodgrain/grey enamel combination.
    How the heck will you mount these?
    Will they live with those big Tannoys?
    Let us know how they sound.
    P.s.: What will happen with the bottoms?

Hi,
    The bases will eventually get some heavy 2"x2" c shape plinths that will lock into some heavy metal stands.
    For now it'll be railway sleeper or RSJ skids for stands(oh how she's gonna love those).
    The one that's fully working sound fab, effortless, dynamic and smooth with a great punchy articulate bass.
    As for living with the Tannoys only one pair can realistically survive in my home-a question just of accommodation not quality-but we'll see
    Frank

A few more project pics

I sooo glad I put that trapdoor in!
    The damping material is longfibre wool and BAF -the stapled quilting just holds it loosely in place.
    Theres a bit more tidying up to do finish wise but I can live with them as is.

Nice.... I see you are another one of us who goes for the smaller more compact speakers.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    Nice.... I see you are another one of us who goes for the smaller more compact speakers.

Widget
    Thanks Widget.
    Well I'm of the philosophy "if you can't play a bass through them, then they can't do bass....."
    When the music room looks this cluttered I explain it's because "she" wont let me move the cd's into another room
    Frank

Thread Information