Thread: So I liked my dad's 4430's so much, I built some of my own..

So I liked my dad's 4430's so much, I built some of my own..

Here's a little thread I figured I'd just start, and see if anyone was interested. I grew up in a house where even the garage speakers were JBLs. I had a pair of 4311's when I was 10! My old man worked in the pro audio industry outside of Chicago, and always had very nice speakers. Sometime in the mid eighties, he bought a pair of JBL 4430's for the family stereo. He had them modified by adding a 2405h high freq, and choose to run the cab tri-amped, using some nice smaller amps for mids, and hi's, and a hefty sized qsc for the 2235. That's what I grew up with for most of my life!. Well, the day has come where I realized I liked the sound so much, I am building a pair!

For starters, I got some wrecked 2225h's off of ebay for $100 total. Got some recone kits for 2235h's, and reconed my new low end. For mids, I had some Dukane comp drivers my old man got in a trade forever ago that were really JBL 2410, or maybe 2420h's. They had 2425h titanium diaphragms in them when I got them, so the old man said they'd pretty much drop right in the place of the 2425's he has in his boxes. For horns, my old man's buddy Dave( who has a huge collection of JBL stuff) sold me some 2344 horns something like 12 years ago. So they sat, until now. For highs, I got a pair of 2407h's ( too many scams on ebay for 2405h's, and too expensive when they are real!), and bought some of the "EL Cheapo" horns from JBL at $9.90. So there's the drivers.

For amps, I have had a qsc mx1500a for years now to run whatever needed a kick in the pants. That will cover the low end. I have a JBL 6215, and am getting a crown d60, and d45. They will run the stereo mids, highs, and one will eventually run the mid/high in my center channel.

For Xover, I got an Ashly xr2001 three way to split my line level output to the amps, and my old man built me a line level box to bring the mid frequency response under control. I guess the 2425 with the 2344 horn tends to be very hot at 1K. The circuit for this little box was based on the mid correction built into the original jbl 4430 crossover to get a flatter response in the lower mids.

So the fun part...Finding the boxes for 4430's. Turns out 4430's are not tall enough to fit a 2235h, a 2344 horn, and a 2407h with it's horn. I figured I needed a box that was at least 39 inches tall. After spending a lot of time going in circles with local cab builders, and trying to find a JBL cab to do the trick, and not have to pay $300 in freight, I gave up, and started searching for lumber yards. I was advised that I wanted the most dead, solid cab I could find if I wanted the low end to be tight, and honest, so I bought 3 4x8 sheets of 1 inch particle board. After going around, and around with the numbers, I came up with dimensions I thought would work, while avoiding the bad dimension ratios (1x1,1x2,1x3...) I came up with 39 tall, 22 wide, and 16 deep. Internal being (obviously) 37, 20,14. The cubic volume of the cab after the bracing, glue blocks, and drivers is about 5.3 cubic feet. I called in every favor I could to get the necessary tools for the job, including a router, a buddy with a circular saw, and a steady hand( he actually made the cuts for the main pieces..Thanks Brandon!), and plenty of advise from Dave. Thanks Dave!! After I got the cabs roughly built, and ready, I went back to the place that had my particle board, and bought some veneer. I got some flat black for the face, and build out plate, and some cherry wood veneer for the sides, and top. After slapping that on the cab, I got some flat black spray paint, and did the rear of the cab, and the ports. As far as ports, I used some thick cardboard carpet tubing. With two ports at 4" internal dia, I cut to 7.5 inches. Calculated by the old man using JBL cab/ port software. I think that length tuned the cab to 32 hz, although it seamed a little high for a cab of that size. I think the original 4430 cab was tuned to 29 hz, and was 4.5 cubic feet. Feel free to advise, or correct this info, but be nice!!!

I guess that's about it for this round. I am installing jacks, and wiring the speakers tonight, and finishing insulation. I am about so get some 4430 grill cloth from Zilch, build the frames, and I'll be in business!!! I've already tested each cab, and am very happy with the sound. I did make the mistake of sampling one before I got the insulation in, and the cab was singing at 600, and 700 hz ( ran white noise, miced, and analyzed with cool edit pro to verify what my ears were screaming!). The second cab was sampled after insulation was added, and sounded much better! More like I was used to hearing from any 2235 in a good box!

So I'm not sure why I started this little deal, or why I waited till now ( lack of digital camera?), but it seamed like a good place to share my experience with all, and I am proud of the work I've done so far!!

I can get some pic's uploaded if I see any interest, but I'll have to bum a cam for that! I'd love to hear any advise, or corrections, but again...Be nice...Most people have been nothing but nice since I joined, and if you aren't, I can find out where you live!!!!! Ha ha...

Dude! You rock! Holy Crap!

Pictures! Pictures! Pictures!

Well...I guess that's the enthusiastic response I was looking for!!! Ok..Let me see about getting a camera in here, and I'll have those pics loaded right up!!! By the way..These are going to be running multiple duties as my main stereo speakers for listening to music, the front sides in my 5.1 system, and my large monitors for my home studio. I also have some 4312's, 4208's, and controle ones for monitoring, and mixing!!!
    Last edited by crtstudios76; 12-21-2007 at 12:49 AM. Reason: typo, and content error!

Thread Information