Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Project Finally under way

Earl, here is Zilch's filter for the 2435/H9800 combo :
    Quote Originally Posted by pos View Post

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    Do you have a measurement on the horn with no compensation, an impedance run on the horn and a schematic??

Rob
    Rob is right. We need you to post the .mls file of the horn and driver combo without any filter in place (use an 80 uF or 100 uF cap in series for protection, it's a ~ 4 ohm driver). Make sure the resolution is 1/12 and phase is set to minimum. Also make sure you are reversing the leads to the 2435 when you take the measurement so that red is to black, etc. Take the measurement at 1m, preferably with the horn facing up into the air. Also post the .sini file. Rob or I can export what data we need from these two files.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Will do

Think i can manage to get it done tomorrow.

-Tim
    2213 + 2435HPL w/aquaplas + H9800 (Matsj edition)

Quote Originally Posted by timc View Post
    I see your point Earl, but remember that I am using the 2435hpl and not the 435Be. As i understand the 2435 don't like to be used as low as the 435, due to higher Fs. I do want the crossoverpoint as low as possible, but from what i have read it should be at minimum 1KHz for the 2435.
    Tim, I don't think there is anything that indicate that the 2435 cannot go as low as the 435Be.
    http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...23&postcount=2

Obsolete
    Tim, I don't think there is anything that indicate that the 2435 cannot go as low as the 435Be.
    The original statement that the 2435 wasn't to be used below 1 kHz came from JBL Pro (the designer of both drivers). They do not recommend using it below 1 kHz. (Also realize that they are using waveguides in most instances.)

Consumer does things a bit differently; I think the 2435/435Be has been used as low as 650 Hz, 750 Hz for sure. But these are acoustic crossover frequencies. I can't say for sure where the high pass filters were actually set in each instance. You can figure that out by looking at the various schematics.

Obsolete
    Earl, here is Zilch's filter for the 2435/H9800 combo :
    I plugged Zilch's modification into LEAP with my measurement files and the result is the blue curve. I'm not saying it is wrong. I am saying what I originally said here: #22

You're going to have to come up with your own particular solution for your specific application.

My point is, Zilch's modification might not work with my H9800 and 435Be. I'm not completely happy with the graphical response of Greg's unmodified filter (red) in this instance either but I would have to actually listen to it to determine whether or not it sounded bad.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Just a sidequestion. If you have a raw measurement of a driver in LEAP, you can just add the crossover network and it calculates a theroetic output?

If so i really need to get som $$$

-Tim

I can only second what Rob says.
    My networks where spot on from the first try!

But don't expect LEAP to create a network by a fingerprint. You still need quiet a bit of network experience.

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B
    David has stated that with LEAP a decent filter designer can crank out a world class filter during his or her lunch hour

Obsolete
    How about just posting the files?

Then other forum members can look at the data and we can go on from there?

I had to return the measuring equipment today. so i didn't get a chance to do anything more. I'll see if i can lend it again this weekend. Will post files as soon as i can.

Thanks for all the willingness to help.

4313B. I fully agree that you need to know what you are doing, but everyone have to start out somewhere

-Tim

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by timc View Post
    I had to return the measuring equipment today.
    Ah! It's cool that it is available to you.

Good to see that you are making progress Tim. I'm following this topic with great interest since I also own a pair of H9800 clones and 2435's. Haven't had the time yet to start experiment though.

A tip regarding tight sounding woofers would be 2234, E145 and ME150. But as a matter a fact, the LE14H family all sound tight to me...

Quote Originally Posted by Jakob View Post
    A tip regarding tight sounding woofers would be 2234, E145 and ME150. But as a matter a fact, the LE14H family all sound tight to me...
    The ME150 is an outstanding woofer. I still not 100% convinced that I'll keep my 1500AL. There is still a chance that the ME150 will return into the cabinets.
    The 1500AL sounds more "hifi" and the ME150 sounds more "JBL" if this describes it for you.

And if you find 2227 cores the ME150 can be done as the ME150 cone kits are available (at least here).

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Guido View Post
    The 1500AL sounds more "hifi" and the ME150 sounds more "JBL" if this describes it for you.
    I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Guido View Post
    The ME150 is an outstanding woofer. I still not 100% convinced that I'll keep my 1500AL. There is still a chance that the ME150 will return into the cabinets.

And if you find 2227 cores the ME150 can be done as the ME150 cone kits are available (at least here).

If and when you decide to get rid of one of the pairs, send me a message. If i have the cash, and haven't already bought woofers, ill buy them

-Tim

Thread Information