Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Project Finally under way

Thank You guys, and Tim: didn't mean to highjack your thread, sorry!
    I'm impressed with your "using-ordinary-screws-and-drill-holes-in-the-horn"-solution, why didnt I come up with that? Guess I know now why I'll never get a Nobel-prize...

I'm also very interested in Quicksilvers amps. When I first heard about them (from someone on this forum, Widget maybe???) a couple of years ago they were not allowed to sell me any amps because the amps were not tested and approved by the european electric security department (bad english but you get the drift...) but now I see they have distributors around the globe, including Germany, so thats great news!!!

Macaroonie:
    Love your country!!! Spent last summer driving around the highlands and visited Skye and Glen Coe amongst a lot of other places and Edinburg: what a lovely city! And the people are so friendly and humouristic. Guess that's why the vikings so often turned their longboats in that direction

I have some.

mats

Jakob: No problem. There is always room for "science"

Good luck with your project.

-Tim
    2213 + 2435HPL w/aquaplas + H9800 (Matsj edition)

First picture :)

126A and 2435HPL/H9800
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Some more pics

Ok.

Im now moving forward again.

The measurements seem ok but for one thing.

I measure a big peak at 1250Hz on the 2435h/H9800. It's about 7-8db in amplitude.

Any idea what causes it? I'm using the HF compensation filter and a crossoverpoint at about 1khz with a 12db butterworth slope.

Any suggestions are welcome

-Tim

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by timc View Post
    I measure a big peak at 1250Hz on the 2435h/H9800. It's about 7-8db in amplitude.

Any idea what causes it?
    Yes. It's normal. Rather than go into what to do (my main computer is down right now along with all that data) you can examine Greg's networks such as the K2-S9800 network and Everest II network. Other networks to examine would be the SK2-1000 and 4338. You're going to have to come up with your own particular solution for your specific application. I believe I also posted the schematic for Greg's home system which you might want to look at too.

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    Yes. It's normal. Rather than go into what to do (my main computer is down right now along with all that data) you can examine Greg's networks such as the K2-S9800 network and Everest II network. Other networks to examine would be the SK2-1000 and 4338. You're going to have to come up with your own particular solution for your specific application. I believe I also posted the schematic for Greg's home system which you might want to look at too.

Thats a relief to hear really.

Im using Gregs Compensation filter. I thought that should take care of things?

Are we talking about a resonance compensation that i should apply?

Thank you very much for the reply

-Tim

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by timc View Post
    Are we talking about a resonance compensation that i should apply?
    I had it all worked out for Project May but I'll have to dig for all those files once I get that machine back up and running.

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    Yes. I had it all worked out for Project May but I'll have to dig for all those files once I get that machine back up and running.

Thanks. Then i have recognized it from the S9800 schematics. I'll have to check my drawers if i have the components for it

You'r very helpfull, and i really appreciate it. Thumbs up!

-Tim

Obsolete
    Here's something readily available that I ran a few weeks ago:

435Be vs 476Be on H9800 horn (raw curves, no networks/compensation)

The 435Be needs a couple more notch filters to smooth it out. Both sound really nice to some people like Greg and myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Alesi View Post
    Hello Tim,

You have conquered the hard part- getting started. Sounds like a great project- good luck and please share some progress pics when possible. I just noticed you are a K2 s9800 fan. Me too. Any chance of a big MTM for you along the same lines- using the H9800?
    Hi Tim
    What is MTM ?
    Cheers
    Vernb

Not sure about the exact phrase, but i think it plays on the D'appolito configuration with a tweeter in the middle of two midranges. Midrange-Tweeter-Midrange.

In the JBL case it should maybe be WTW.............

-Tim

Hi Tim,

How is your project going on?

did you use the compensation filter Zilch described here?
    http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/ ... stcount=84

and curves:
    http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/ ... stcount=79

I am curious on how these turn out on matsj's H9800 clones

Sorry for not answering you Pos. Havent checked the thread for while.

An update. I have now done some more work with the crossover. I started out with GT's notchfilter and the additional paralell notch that Zilch implemented, and then altered some values untill i got some half decent results.

I found out that my school has an older version of Clio. That speeded things up a bit.

The horn now has respons of +- 2.5dB from 1KHz to about 15KHz. Im satisfied with that for now. Ill post a graph in a day or two. Next step is to match the Woofer to the horn.

However I am wondering how Zilch and 4313B manges to get the measurements they get. No matter how i tweaked the filter, i just couldnt get it flatter. Thats just probably me not grasping it fully, but anyway :dont-know. I will go another round with it at a later point.

Could it be due to small differences between the Clones i got from Matsj and the original H9800 Zilch did the measurements with?

A question for the knowledgeable to finish: I initially intended to get the 1200Fe woofer for my project, but due to price and availability I might reconsider. What would be your recomended woofer for this 2 way system? LE14-h3? I'm not after the extreme bass extension, but rather a very quick, precise sound. An bassextension down to about 35Hz is enough for me. I will add a sub at a later point.

Thats it for now. I'll try to get both filters up and running during the next week. Needless to say I'm very excited

-Tim

Thread Information