Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Project Finally under way

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch
    Edit: I get 6721.15 Hz from 4.3133 uF, 0.13 mH, and 6731.54 Hz w/4.3 uF in the non-CC version. Confirm, please....
    - Yep, those are the frequencies that I get .

- As it turns out ( for both "series or parallel notch filters" ) the math is the same when calculating the notch frequency center .
    - Conversely, calculating the "Q" for each class of filter is different ( & IME nearly impossible to get right the first time ) .

- So a recap of the math ;

f = 1 / [ 2*pi*{ the square root of ( L*C) }]

- "f" is the notch center frequency value , given in hertz
    - with "L" being expressed in Henrys ( divide mH values by 1,000. )
    - and "C" being expressed in Farads ( divide uF values by 1,000,000. )

>< cheers

Thanks, Earl, I feel better now.

I was pretty bummed for a while in this; it seemed as though I had my head up my ass when I originally did it the hard way.

[Does happen.... ]

So Tim, how are things going? Did you listen to the sweet sound of Beryllium during easter holiday or did you have to settle for the Klipsch's?

Regards: Jakob

Quote Originally Posted by Jakob View Post
    So Tim, how are things going? Did you listen to the sweet sound of Beryllium during easter holiday or did you have to settle for the Klipsch's?

Regards: Jakob

Neither actually. I use the L65 in its original state atm. I have gotten a pair of 2213 woofers and all i need is a cabinet for it. Im looking for someone to cut the MDF since i dont have any equipment. I friend on a norwegian forum have helped me with a filter with looks flat. In simulation at least.

So basically i don't know whent things will be up and running. It's a pain to have most of the parts lying around and not beeing able to enjoy them

On the other hand. Summer is on the way and hifi takes a backseat for a while. I spend as much time as i can out on my bicycle during the summer.

-Tim
    2213 + 2435HPL w/aquaplas + H9800 (Matsj edition)

Right.

Time to move on. I have created a 3D drawing for a protoype box. It will house the 2213 woofer and a port. Volum is about 95 liters. The H9800 will sit on top for easy time allignment.

So to something i have been pondering and not found much info about. Where is the best place to have the reflex port. I have it on the front, but is there a rule of thumb between distance from woofer center and the tuning frequency of the port?

Best regards Tim

With some help from someone at a norwegian hififorum i have done some simulation on my horn and think i have come up with something usable. Comments are welcome. Ignore the peak at 1000Hz for now.

-Tim
    Attached Images Attached Images  

The simulation certainly looks flat enough .

What's the insertion loss of this filter ?

<>

Quote Originally Posted by Earl K View Post
    The simulation certainly looks flat enough .

What's the insertion loss of this filter ?

<>

Hi Earl. I'm unfamiliar with that term. Do you mean the how much attenuation i get?

If so it is about the same as the original Timbers filter. Maybe 1-2 dB more.

-Tim

Quote Originally Posted by tim
    Do you mean the how much attenuation i get?
    Yes, that's what I meant .

If so it is about the same as the original Timbers filter. Maybe 1-2 dB more.
    Okay, ( now, I'll need to track down that info )

Were you planning on biamping ? ( without reviewing your project file, I'll admit that I have forgotten )

No. There will be no biamping to start with. I will mate it to a 2213 woofer. Then when i get some more income, I'll start looking for a permanent woofer solution.

I will try various crossover points between 800Hz and 1000Hz.

-Tim

No. There will be no biamping to start with. I will mate it to a 2213 woofer.
    - Ahh, Okay .

- Are you going to orient the H9800 sideways ( ie; vertical, as in the 1400 Array ) to see ( hear ) if you can improve the horns' "imaging" capabilities ?

<>

Obsolete
    Ain't no turning Everest II's sideways!

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post

Actually that could be interesting. I have seen a custom Tannoy speaker with a similar bass configuration but with vertival orientation. Designwise i wouldn't mess with perfection

No, there will be no sideways horn for me. It might be better, but to me the Arrays and similar just look weird. Its an aesthetic thing. Anyways, for me something close to the S9800 is more than good enough.

Sidenote: If i DID put the horn vertically. Would i not get in trouble with the different dispersion pattern at the crossover point?

-Tim

No, there will be no sideways horn for me. It might be better, but to me the Arrays and similar just look weird. Its an aesthetic thing.
    Anyways, for me something close to the S9800 is more than good enough.
    - Many of us in the SR ( sound reinforcement ) field wouldn't agree about statements suggesting "a weirdness in the look" .
    - In fact, I think it all looks pretty natural to these eyes .

- FWIW, turning a 90 by 40 degree horn sideways can give one a "cheap & cheerful, look-see" into the "DD" ( Defined Directivety ) phenomena .
    - Try it , you may actually hear something you like .

- Here's a link to one of Dr. Geddes creations ( the Summa ) . This speaker is well noted for it's imaging capabilities / I feel it's worth studying the polar patterns and pondering the "why ?" .
    - Geddes is well aware of the E2 ( & the E1, & the "DD family" of horns ) / he also knows why these devices image well .

- Here's another waveguide which, ( by the same defining parameters ) should have strong imaging capability ( though the good Doctor would be loath to agree because of the inclusion of a diffraction slot in the throat ) .

Sidenote: If i DID put the horn vertically. Would i not get in trouble with the different dispersion pattern at the crossover point?
    ( I already think you're in trouble ) ,,, but it is a viable question ,, ie ;
    - Why bother sending all that HF energy into the floor & ceiling ? ( & I don't have a reasonable answer for you )

<> cheers

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B
    Why would one do that ? There's no need ( obviously ) to mess around with such a successful design .

<> cheers

Thread Information