Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Project Finally under way

Project Finally under way

The swedish beauties have finally arrived. Matsj have provided me with a pair of gorgeous H9800 clones. The 2435HPL i purchased earlier.

Hooked them up yesterday just for some prelimnary testing and they sound great. I'm crossing them over at 1khz and using the 126A woofer in my L65's for the lower octaves. I still have to do some sensitivity adjustment to the horn and tweak the crossover point a bit, but for a first try I think it sounds quite good. I wont have time to do anymore before over the hollidays but i think the rest of the winter will be very exciting. Hi-Fi wise at least

-Tim
    2213 + 2435HPL w/aquaplas + H9800 (Matsj edition)

Quote Originally Posted by timc View Post
    The swedish beauties have finally arrived. Matsj have provided me with a pair of gorgeous H9800 clones. The 2435HPL i purchased earlier.

Hooked them up yesterday just for some prelimnary testing and they sound great. I'm crossing them over at 1khz and using the 126A woofer in my L65's for the lower octaves. I still have to do some sensitivity adjustment to the horn and tweak the crossover point a bit, but for a first try I think it sounds quite good. I wont have time to do anymore before over the hollidays but i think the rest of the winter will be very exciting. Hi-Fi wise at least

-Tim
    Hello Tim,

You have conquered the hard part- getting started. Sounds like a great project- good luck and please share some progress pics when possible. I just noticed you are a K2 s9800 fan. Me too. Any chance of a big MTM for you along the same lines- using the H9800?
    Have Fun - >>> Nessun Dorma - 12 years old <<<
    Best, Joe Alesi

Hi.

Yes. The hardest part is indeed getting started

Im not going MTM. When i can afford it ill try to get a pair for 1200FE woofers. My inspiration is Greg Timbers Personal system. But without subs.

I dont have a digital camera myself, but i will try to borrow one over the hollidays.

The 126A is just a temporary solution.

-Tim

Hi.

Im going to put together a temporary passive crossover now, and im a bit confused about polarity.

Im going to use a 2nd order butterworth at 1000hz. The schematics says to inverse the polarity on the tweeter. The compression driver says to put the negative wire on the positive connector for positive compression.

Does this result in that i should put the positive wire on the positive terminal?

Edit: Have changed to 2nd order.

-Tim

Hello Tim

Nice set-up!! If positive compression is towards the throat then hook them up that way. The 126A should be JBL polarity which is opposite the rest of the world. Just take a 1.5volt battery and verify the polarity of the woofer.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    Hello Tim

If positive compression is towards the throat then hook them up that way.

Rob

How do i know if this is the case? Positive compression in this context could mean both ways. Is there a standard for compression drivers?

-Tim

If you look at any of the contemporary compression driver data sheets they all have the same note about + voltage applied on the negative cause movement towards the phase plug. If you have a diaphram move towards the phase plug you will get a positve preasure wave into a horn. Same as a woofer diaphram moving forward.

The phase of the driver can also be influenced buy the lenght of the horn. Go with opposite phase but also try in phase as well. Use what sounds best or if you have an RTA what gives you the smoothest response through the crossover region.

Rob

Thanks for the help Rob. I will use RTA when completing the setup. Just wanted to know how the stuff works.

-Tim

Hello Tim

Your welcome. If you have an RTA your are set. You can easilly see what's going on and make adjustments as required.

Rob

A small update.

Hooked up a passive crossover this weekend. 12db slope at 1khz. In addition I'm using the timbers filter, and some EQ above 14khz.

The transition between woofer and horn was quite good, considering this was just a theoretical filter and I dont have a spec sheet for the 126A. The horn plays a bit too loud so I'll borrow a Copland DRC205 from work to determine how much more damping is needed. This will also give me an accurate in-room response measurement.

-Tim

I have now done some measurements. It doesnt look too bad. I was surprised that the horn actually played a bit to low. I have to increase the output by 2-3 db. And then use the EQ to flatten 2 bumps.

-Tim

Hi Tim!

Nice project you have going there!

May I ask what amplifiers You are using?

I also wonder how You mounted your drivers to the horns. I've been trying to find UNC 1/4" machinescrews with countersunk heads, but it's impossible. I've searched the net for any info regarding retailers that ship internationally, but for no good...

Regards: Jakob (who also will get a pair of horns from Mats! )

http://www.mcmaster.com/

Search "Machine Screws," then "Flat Head"

$7.70 for 50 in 18-8 stainless, 1/2" long....

Quote Originally Posted by Jakob View Post
    Hi Tim!

Nice project you have going there!

May I ask what amplifiers You are using?

I also wonder how You mounted your drivers to the horns. I've been trying to find UNC 1/4" machinescrews with countersunk heads, but it's impossible. I've searched the net for any info regarding retailers that ship internationally, but for no good...

Regards: Jakob (who also will get a pair of horns from Mats! )

Hi.

I used skrew with normal heads and drilled a hole in the back of the horn to sink them into. (very bad english here.......)

At the moment im using a Crown XTi-1000. It sounds very bad in the mid/highs but the bass is incredible. My plan is to buy a set of Quicksilver Audio Horn mono amplifiers for the horn and use the XTi on the woofer. I will also need a 4+ channel preamplifier because i want the digital crossover to have a high input signal. That means placing it right after the player.

Now all thats missing is $$$

-Tim

Screws and Fixings

Jakob these fellows are here in the UK but I am sure they will help. I've had a couple of deliveries from them both fast and accurate.

http://www.modelfixings.co.uk/fixings.htm

Thread Information