Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Meyer CP-10

Quote Originally Posted by boputnam View Post

Like all here, the system evolved - iterations:

#4 - Bryston 10B, KlarkTeknik DN370. Vast improvement on crossover - clarity, soundstage, all of it. Interestingly, this change reduced much of the EQ needed in the +2kHz range... The Bryston is much more transparent.
    I'd submit the change in EQ correction was derived more by ear than by measurement. I would also bet a similar adjustment occurred in the change from the JBL crossover to the Ashly. It may have been more subtle and gone unnoticed though.

What I am getting at is that many of these "lesser" opamp based devices tend to sound a bit hard, or upfront, or harsh, or? fill in your own subjective phrase, but to my ear they tend to get a bit aggressive sounding in this region. I'd submit the more musical sounding Bryston crossover removed this perceived emphasis and therefore less "correction" was necessary.

As for the DEQX... if you can build an all analog system that really works, I'd stay in the analog domain. That said, the DEQX and a few other top digital devices can be real problem solvers. I don't think they are quite the equal of SOTA analog yet, but their day is getting closer and closer.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    I'd submit the more musical sounding Bryston crossover removed this perceived emphasis and therefore less "correction" was necessary.
    That was exactly my point. Certainly borne-out by the reality of the exercise.

As for the DEQX... if you can build an all analog system that really works, I'd stay in the analog domain. That said, the DEQX and a few other top digital devices can be real problem solvers. I don't think they are quite the equal of SOTA analog yet, but their day is getting closer and closer.
    DEQX is an amazing unit. I enjoyed working with Rich's - even easy without the manual (DEQX has so far refused to send me a manual simply for study...). I'd also like to hear the KT Helix DN9848 - I use one in my large SR rack, and really like it. Powerful stuff. I have not tried it in a home / studio listening environment.

I'm using a pair of Bryston 10b,s. They drive the amps for the TAD woofers, and TAD 4002 compression drivers.

The clarity, spatial detail, and depth is pretty much some of the best I've heard. Compression drivers are so smooth, so detailed, yet, need obnly a minimal amount of EQ, matter of fact, the Bryston 10B Mc-2125 TAD 4002 is about the most most minimal EQ use I have ever had to do in my room.

DSP gets better by the day, but, ANALOG is still the best to my ears. BRYSTON IS THAT GOOD!
    scottyj

Quote Originally Posted by scott fitlin View Post
    I'm using a pair of Bryston 10b,s. They drive the amps for the TAD woofers, and TAD 4002 compression drivers.

The clarity, spatial detail, and depth is pretty much some of the best I've heard.
    Yep, have only been told how sweet they sound. I never had the pleasure of hearing the Bryston.

Nice to see you Scotty......hope all is well?

Was in your neck of the woods a few months ago but was pressed for time. I surely did think about taking a couple of hours to check out your establishement but.......alas....could not get away.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Pachkowsky View Post
    Yep, have only been told how sweet they sound. I never had the pleasure of hearing the Bryston.

Nice to see you Scotty......hope all is well?

Was in your neck of the woods a few months ago but was pressed for time. I surely did think about taking a couple of hours to check out your establishement but.......alas....could not get away.

Ken
    Thanks Ken, NICE to see u too. WISH you could have seen the place.

In addition to winter mechanics, and body repainting this year, I have pretty much COMPLETELY overhauled the rooms system. ALL my old electronics, amps and MOST old drivers are out, NEW amps, NEW front end, NEW 15,s comp drivers w/ new horns on the way, maybe even treat myself to something special for VHF.

We voiced the system to sound proper for CD and download playback. IMO, what worked for vinyl, doesn't always work for CD,s etc. So, one day, piece by piece, the old stuff started coming out, and playing CD,s and downloads began dramatically improving.

Using the TAD woofers, and now that I have no more aluminum dustcaps on the woofers, NO RINGING! Then, listening to my JBL 2441, changed amp from Crown D-150 to Bryston 3B, to McIntosh 2125. The MAC was OMG! Then, I dunno, I put some TAD 4002,s up, on the lenses, JEEZ, THIS was what I heard when TAD demoed them 8 years ago when I first heard them. So, Bryston 10B,s, MC-2125, TAD 4002,s, = SEXY SMOOTH, SUPER CLEAR SOUND! I'm even replacing the 2395 lens horns with a more modern design.

What I can say for sure, is playing certain WELL RECORDED Jazz and Classical CD,s seems to be surpassing vinyl playback now, IMO.

I am finding the Bryston gear very outstanding indeed.

Guys if your in the neighborhood, COME BY, I would love to meet you , and show the system off.
    scottyj

Quote Originally Posted by alskinner View Post
    Based on recommendations from Bo and others I decided to try a CP-10. I must say it is one of the most natural sounding equalizers I've heard. I still like my White 4400s but the CP=10 beats it in terms of phase shift. I was fortunate to find one on Ebay for 490.00 in good shape. At some point I will send it off to Meyer to insure it is calibrated properly, but all pots are dead quiet and it functions flawlessly. I will have to get an RTA to set it up properly but for now I am having fun playing with it. Again thanks for the recommendation it was money well spent.

AL
    Hi Krunchy,

We will have to compare notes.

I was lucky enough to win a bid for a near perfect Myer CP-10 and have it delivered with the assistance of anther forum member recently.

edit: Yep it seems to have the goods. Worth having even to sort the bass out. It will be while before I have an opportunity to mess properly with it.

Mint condition other than some TLC on the rack ears and some of the push buttons are noisy but it appears fully operational. Had a peek inside. One of the best bits of audio engineering I have seen.

Special thanks to Ducatista47 (Clark) for delivery to the other side of the world.

iMac

Congratulations Ian! Glad to hear that you obtained one of these units, I know you'll be very very happy with its performance. I look forward too comparing notes as well
    I have to get some sort of measuring device otherwise I'll just be bumping around in the dark.

Enjoy!
    Just Play Music.

I was up late twirling them knobs...a good sign.

Very intesting.

So I can figure what gives with it in the signal path a switched back to full passive (4345 network).

What its allowed me to do is sit in a preferred location overall (further back) by treating a 43 hertz room mode and the bump around 100 hertz.

Aside from a more realistic bass presentation there is an apparent increase in depth through the midange. I am only using (2) filters at this point.

As to the actual settings its quite sensitive in the bass region and I am still working on it but has really improved the bass defination. There is probably a case for installing some bass traps as well at this stage.

I changed out the compression drivers last night and installed the 2435be acquaplas. (I am quite pleased with them )

No obvious loss in signal quality with those in either.

Its been good acquistion on both counts and dont think I have heard it running better.

Will post pic a some stage.

iMac

Sounds very promising Ian, glad to hear you are having a good time with it.
    I am waiting on a couple of XLR cables and will hook it up to the Ashly and see how it sounds. Will probably make second set of XLR's to go along with the 5235 X-over. Right now the adcoms with the 4345's can sound a bit too bright/shrill with the bass not too well defined at times. Some music sounds great but not all.
    I have a long way to go in getting them fine tuned, but when they get there....Man thats gonna be incredible. When I set it up with the 4313B's it really brought them to life, I look forwar to seeing how it will mesh with the 4345's.

Tis all good!
    Just Play Music.

Here it is.

The knobs are in no particular postion here, as is on removal from the box.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Steely Dan

Lots of talk on Steely Dan here on the forum, was just looking at the liner notes of their everything must go cd (2003) and there it is under....Technical Support: Meyer Sound, Opcode, DigiDesign, Mesa/Boogie etc.

Cant get a better endorsement then these guys if you tried pretty neat.

Enjoy!
    Just Play Music.

Quote Originally Posted by Krunchy View Post
    Lots of talk on Steely Dan here on the forum, was just looking at the liner notes of their everything must go cd (2003) and there it is under....Technical Support: Meyer Sound, Opcode, DigiDesign, Mesa/Boogie etc.

Cant get a better endorsement then these guys if you tried pretty neat.

Enjoy!
    Yeah and on the Katy Lied remastered CD they discuss taking a pair of "Double" Magneplanar speakers and Audio Research D-76 tube amps to the studio because obviously ABC/Dunhill studio's Altec or JBL monitors just didn't do it for them.

On the other hand we have Pete Townsend and The Who with their stacked 4350s... I still like The Who, but for recording quality, the Maggies win. I mean Steely Dan.

Widget

Yeah and on the Katy Lied remastered CD they discuss taking a pair of "Double" Magneplanar speakers and Audio Research D-76 tube amps to the studio because obviously ABC/Dunhill studio's Altec or JBL monitors just didn't do it for them. Widget
    Classic!

Big Pete & who fan, unfortunately their material doesnt all seem to be that well recorded. I'll keep an eye out for a picture with that set up.
    Just Play Music.

Quote Originally Posted by Krunchy View Post
    Classic!

Big Pete & who fan, unfortunately their material doesnt all seem to be that well recorded. I'll keep an eye out for a picture with that set up.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Fellow Fanciers!

Fantastic!!! Thank you je Great Ad. Have Pete's 4311's come up on ebay yet, should fetch some nice quid
    Just Play Music.

Thread Information