Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Meyer CP-10

Meyer CP-10

Anyone know these Meyer CP-10's...?

I've got five of these scattered through my various SR racks - I really like them at FOH (powerful tools), but have never tried them in a "listening" setting. So, last week-end, on a lark, I swapped one into my home system (I had a few laying around from recently dismantling a rehearsal studio...).

Egads... Shocker. These are incredibly, really nice.

I've since swapped one into my studio rack, too.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Quote Originally Posted by boputnam View Post

Egads... Shocker. These are incredibly, really nice.
    I thought we had talked about them... they are considered by many to be among the very best EQs going. If you have an extra one it should be in that home rack with your 4345s.

Widget

Yea, I 'spose we did, Widget - that was probably about two-years ago when I was accumulating them and putting them into all my SR racks.

And, it is. I trialed one in my studio/office for a few days and heard, I thought, an overall improvement particularly in coherence (or so I thought). So, I stuffed another one into the big system to same effect.

Last night I played that Patricia Barber CD "Cafe Blué". 'Wood is a Pleasant Thing to Think About' and 'Inch Worm' have never sounded like they did last night. It was pretty damned astonishing - every instrument (and voice) sounds more natural.

RIP 2009
    - every instrument (and voice) sounds more natural.
    Are you using these as pre-amps, replacing another EQ, or other? 'Sounds "more natural" than what, or why? Do you think it's the EQ curves, (assuming you're adjusting them), similar curves to original but with "phase coherence", (??), or simply a better preamp, (than what?)?

'Just curious what exactly is responsible for the improvement...

John

And I just want to know where to buy them and how much they cost. The company web site was of little to no help.

Quote Originally Posted by johnaec View Post
    Are you using these as pre-amps...?
    No, they are passive, after the pre-amp.

...replacing another EQ...?
    Yes.

'Sounds "more natural" than what, or why?
    Than the system did, before - and it was hella good before. Sounds more natural/neutral than any system I have heard save Widget's, and now ours are comparable.

Do you think it's the EQ curves, (assuming you're adjusting them), similar curves to original but with "phase coherence", (??), or simply a better preamp, (than what?)?
    There is still the same pre-amp and amp as before - only change was the EQ. PEQ's introduce notably less phase perturbations than GEQ's do. Also, the Q is highly adjustable, and the frequency can be pin-pointed. So, less of the frequency response is impacted unintentionally - the corrections are more precise.

That said, I made almost no changes from the prior curve. This device just sounds, well, less...

RIP 2009
    That said, I made almost no changes from the prior curve.
    'Just curious - how did you determine the curves? SMAART? RTA? Ears? Combination?

To me, the best sound I've gotten has been when doing it by ear, based on single note sine waves at 1/3 octave ISO center frequencies, using a Neutrik Minirator as source. I plug in each frequency one at a time, first left, then right, and adjust to equal *ear* volume, then L+R together, while moving around the room, and fine tuning, taking into account intermediate frequencies. Of course, the curve will only be perfect to *my* ears but that's what's nice about being able to store setups...

John

'Just curious - how did you determine the curves? SMAART?...

I find it's results are less subjective and more consistent than other "methods". That said, if there is ever something clearly "not right", it get's remedied. But the more I use the Smaart platform, the more I learn about and appreciate the benefits of proper EQ. JMO...

The whole point here was to acknowledge the extreme importance of the gear you choose - at all price points. I did not expect such improvement going from the GEQ I use to this particular PEQ - they are both best in class. There is more phase distortion in GEQ use than most of us admit to. GEQ are great for SR applications* where you need to move fast and benefit from their very visible "curve", but in more static settings PEQ are a better choice.

(* - I've not had any GEQ in my SR racks for the past year or so. I get better results with PEQ's).

So the KTs are out and the Meyers is in at F.O.H. ?

Oldmics

Sicily for N Y Eve and then onto Germany for a beer with H.P.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldmics View Post
    So the KTs are out and the Meyers is in at F.O.H. ?
    Yea - a major change for me. The KT9848 DSP weaned me from the GEQ "crutch" - the "holyshitgrabafilter!!" reaction. The KT9848 has 12 PEQ on each input and 6 PEQ on each output - working with them over the past three-years spoilt me - the GEQ filters seem never centered where I need them. Plus, the CP-10 is only 2RU - gaining back rack space is always fun!!

Sicily for N Y Eve and then onto Germany for a beer with H.P.
    Wow, good for you, dood! You gigging or just pleasuring?? Please give our warmest regards and take some pics, of course!

I'm gigless this NYE for the first time in years. Here's me jammin' behind my little Midas Venice desk at last years gig...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Here's me jammin' behind my little Midas Venice desk at last years gig...

Well, Led Zepp were jammin with a big Midas desk in London last week (I think you'll appreciate these photos Bo).

Name:  xl8-led-zeppelin-3.jpg
Views: 9701
Size:  149.1 KB
    Name:  xl8-led-zeppelin-1.jpg
Views: 6937
Size:  101.9 KB
    Name:  xl8-led-zeppelin-setlist-1.jpg
Views: 5952
Size:  161.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Andyoz View Post
    Well, Led Zepp were jammin with a big Midas desk in London last week (I think you'll appreciate these photos Bo).
    Wow, Andy - nice! You got full credentials, dood!!

I've not been on an XL8 - don't see the chance coming my way. Worked a Digidesign a few weeks back - nice control surface. Incredibly intuitive and powerful desk...

Bo,

As much as I'd like to say I was there at the desk, sadly not. Those photos were forwarded to me from one of the suppliers we deal with and they supplied the Midas desk. gggrrrrrr...

I can send you the hi-res images if you like...I may get them framed myself for the music room.

p.s. can you make out what all those scribbles on the setlist mean!?!?!

Bo-Work gig (yeah right )

Seeing more of the world thru the tour bus windows.

Notice the delay and verb settings on the set list.

any chance of a larger blow up to see those settings?

Oldmics-Analogue to the death

I can send you the hi-res images if you like...I may get them framed myself for the music room.

p.s. can you make out what all those scribbles on the setlist mean!?!?!
    Yeah, they are cues for FX...

Notice the delay and verb settings on the set list.

any chance of a larger blow up to see those settings?
    'zactly. Yeah - if I get the hi-res I'll forward them along (I thought I had your email but am not sure...)

Thread Information