Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Meyer CP-10

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Meyer CP-10

Anyone know these Meyer CP-10's...?

I've got five of these scattered through my various SR racks - I really like them at FOH (powerful tools), but have never tried them in a "listening" setting. So, last week-end, on a lark, I swapped one into my home system (I had a few laying around from recently dismantling a rehearsal studio...).

Egads... Shocker. These are incredibly, really nice.

I've since swapped one into my studio rack, too.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Quote Originally Posted by boputnam View Post

Egads... Shocker. These are incredibly, really nice.
    I thought we had talked about them... they are considered by many to be among the very best EQs going. If you have an extra one it should be in that home rack with your 4345s.

Widget

Yea, I 'spose we did, Widget - that was probably about two-years ago when I was accumulating them and putting them into all my SR racks.

And, it is. I trialed one in my studio/office for a few days and heard, I thought, an overall improvement particularly in coherence (or so I thought). So, I stuffed another one into the big system to same effect.

Last night I played that Patricia Barber CD "Cafe Blué". 'Wood is a Pleasant Thing to Think About' and 'Inch Worm' have never sounded like they did last night. It was pretty damned astonishing - every instrument (and voice) sounds more natural.

RIP 2009
    - every instrument (and voice) sounds more natural.
    Are you using these as pre-amps, replacing another EQ, or other? 'Sounds "more natural" than what, or why? Do you think it's the EQ curves, (assuming you're adjusting them), similar curves to original but with "phase coherence", (??), or simply a better preamp, (than what?)?

'Just curious what exactly is responsible for the improvement...

John

And I just want to know where to buy them and how much they cost. The company web site was of little to no help.

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    And I just want to know where to buy them and how much they cost. The company web site was of little to no help.
    Greetings Bo!, and thank you for the heads up on this unit, looking forward to integrating it into my system

Now to BMWCCA's inquiry.

This model is still being manufactured and is apparently still very popular, I was told that they were introduced in the late 80's....they are currently retailing for $4,100.00.
    I recently scooped one up on ebay for $603.00 (beat someone out by $3.00 ), the unit looked like it was abused and I was a little surprised by the amount that it went for. It gets better, when I got the unit it indeed looked like it was not treated half as well as it deserved and when I hooked it up...oh boy, bad news, some of the knobs were produning very nasty snap crackle and pops when turned & I mean really nasty I thought it was going to damage my speakers (hooked it up to secondary set not the 4430's for which it was intended).

Immediately unplugged & shipped it to Meyer Sound, (great custommer service & great turnaround time, 1week). they replaced pots and re-calibrated the unit and are in the process of shipping it back to me, total cost for inspecting unit replacing faulty "stuff" and recalibrating was $270.00. This company is sooo professional, a real pleasure to deal with. I only wish other companies would begin to approach the level of customer service these guys provide, I am actually surprised that companies of this caliber are still out there.
    Cant wait till it comes back
    Just Play Music.

Quote Originally Posted by johnaec View Post
    Are you using these as pre-amps...?
    No, they are passive, after the pre-amp.

...replacing another EQ...?
    Yes.

'Sounds "more natural" than what, or why?
    Than the system did, before - and it was hella good before. Sounds more natural/neutral than any system I have heard save Widget's, and now ours are comparable.

Do you think it's the EQ curves, (assuming you're adjusting them), similar curves to original but with "phase coherence", (??), or simply a better preamp, (than what?)?
    There is still the same pre-amp and amp as before - only change was the EQ. PEQ's introduce notably less phase perturbations than GEQ's do. Also, the Q is highly adjustable, and the frequency can be pin-pointed. So, less of the frequency response is impacted unintentionally - the corrections are more precise.

That said, I made almost no changes from the prior curve. This device just sounds, well, less...

RIP 2009
    That said, I made almost no changes from the prior curve.
    'Just curious - how did you determine the curves? SMAART? RTA? Ears? Combination?

To me, the best sound I've gotten has been when doing it by ear, based on single note sine waves at 1/3 octave ISO center frequencies, using a Neutrik Minirator as source. I plug in each frequency one at a time, first left, then right, and adjust to equal *ear* volume, then L+R together, while moving around the room, and fine tuning, taking into account intermediate frequencies. Of course, the curve will only be perfect to *my* ears but that's what's nice about being able to store setups...

John

CP-10

Based on recommendations from Bo and others I decided to try a CP-10. I must say it is one of the most natural sounding equalizers I've heard. I still like my White 4400s but the CP=10 beats it in terms of phase shift. I was fortunate to find one on Ebay for 490.00 in good shape. At some point I will send it off to Meyer to insure it is calibrated properly, but all pots are dead quiet and it functions flawlessly. I will have to get an RTA to set it up properly but for now I am having fun playing with it. Again thanks for the recommendation it was money well spent.

AL
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Congrats

Congrats to Al and Krunchy. Nice unit. I'm jealous.
    Krunchy don't be afraid to twist the knobs in learning how to use it. Playing with an EQ is also good for ear training IMOP. Just don't have your amp cranked while you're boosting like crazy. (Don't forget to cut too.) I'm sure you've already tweaked and twisted yourself to oblivion by the time you've read this.

Quote Originally Posted by alskinner View Post
    ..I was fortunate to find one on Ebay for 490.00 in good shape.
    Gollydam, Al - that is a phenomenal price! And, with all the knobs in-tact! Good one. I have never heard of one going for that price. Nicely done.

...I must say it is one of the most natural sounding equalizers I've heard. I still like my White 4400s but the CP-10 beats it in terms of phase shift.

Congratulations Al !, now that is a great price you'll be very happy with their customer service as stated in previous post.

Skywave, Been twisted for a while, now trying to de-twist, got unit back today, may hopefully be twisting tonight
    Just Play Music.

Hi Bo! I finally had a chance to hook up the cp-10 to my office system, and !!! I've never heard anything like that, just a coulple of tweaks, I am really dumbfounded. This fact with one of the first things you said to me when I joined the forum "just wait till you hear 4313B's" (which is what I have them hooked up with now) have me floored.
    I cannot thank you enough! but I'll try, thank you, thank you, thank you!
    Just Play Music.

Quote Originally Posted by Krunchy View Post
    ...thank you...
    I think that speaks to the core of this place. We all love to hear of user's progress through the JBL lines, and their observations.

In this case, the 4313B with a CP-10 has gotta be pretty pure stuff. Nice choices...

Based on recommendations from Bo and others I decided to try a CP-10. I must say it is one of the most natural sounding equalizers I've heard. I still like my White 4400s but the CP=10 beats it in terms of phase shift. I was fortunate to find one on Ebay for 490.00 in good shape. At some point I will send it off to Meyer to insure it is calibrated properly, but all pots are dead quiet and it functions flawlessly. I will have to get an RTA to set it up properly but for now I am having fun playing with it. Again thanks for the recommendation it was money well spent.

AL
    Hi Krunchy,

We will have to compare notes.

I was lucky enough to win a bid for a near perfect Myer CP-10 and have it delivered with the assistance of anther forum member recently.

edit: Yep it seems to have the goods. Worth having even to sort the bass out. It will be while before I have an opportunity to mess properly with it.

Mint condition other than some TLC on the rack ears and some of the push buttons are noisy but it appears fully operational. Had a peek inside. One of the best bits of audio engineering I have seen.

Special thanks to Ducatista47 (Clark) for delivery to the other side of the world.

iMac

Thread Information