Quote Originally Posted by boputnam View Post

Like all here, the system evolved - iterations:

#4 - Bryston 10B, KlarkTeknik DN370. Vast improvement on crossover - clarity, soundstage, all of it. Interestingly, this change reduced much of the EQ needed in the +2kHz range... The Bryston is much more transparent.
I'd submit the change in EQ correction was derived more by ear than by measurement. I would also bet a similar adjustment occurred in the change from the JBL crossover to the Ashly. It may have been more subtle and gone unnoticed though.

What I am getting at is that many of these "lesser" opamp based devices tend to sound a bit hard, or upfront, or harsh, or? fill in your own subjective phrase, but to my ear they tend to get a bit aggressive sounding in this region. I'd submit the more musical sounding Bryston crossover removed this perceived emphasis and therefore less "correction" was necessary.

As for the DEQX... if you can build an all analog system that really works, I'd stay in the analog domain. That said, the DEQX and a few other top digital devices can be real problem solvers. I don't think they are quite the equal of SOTA analog yet, but their day is getting closer and closer.

Widget