Thread: Led Zeppelin, born again!!!

Led Zeppelin, born again!!!

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/sto...m_david_fricke

Sounds like the 02 Arena was the place to be! When the DVD of this show comes out it will be a MUST HAVE! Hopefully a tour will be coming soon. I will go into serious "hock" to see that show!

Rock N Roll

Funny part for me is that just as I get the Rollingstone Magazine in the mail with remaining members of Zeppelin on the cover, my daughter comes in from her GW scavenger hunt with a Robert Plant LP "PICTURES AT ELEVEN" from 1982. My god where the heck has the 25 years gone!

I will definitely get the DVD!

Yank
    Basement: JBL SVA-1800 and 2226H DIY Enclosures Computer room: Control-5:Control SB-2 Living room: JBL 240ti

http://www.eonline.com/news/article/...d0&sid=fd-news

Plant, Not Zeppelin, Touring in May

by Sarah Hall
    Fri, 14 Dec 2007 11:44:50 AM PST
    var globalDir = "/";

File a Led Zeppelin reunion tour under "What May and What Should Really Come to Be." Just don't count on it happening this spring.
    Robert Plant has set aside the month of May for a European tour with Allison Krauss, with whom he collaborated on the recent album Raising Sand.
    Plant and Krauss will kick off their jaunt across Europe May 5 in Birmingham, England, before continuing on to Germany, Belgium, France, the Netherlands, Sweden and Norway, it was announced Thursday.
    The trek is slated to wrap May 22 in London.
    The duo has also said they plan to tour in the U.S., though no dates have been announced.
    Plant, of course, is fresh off of Led Zeppelin's hugely successful one-night show at London's O2 Arena Monday, which sparked renewed rumors that the rockers would go on to launch a full-scale reunion tour. Most notably, the rockers were being touted as a headlining act for this year's Bonnaroo festival, which is set for June 12-15 in Manchester, Tennessee.
    Despite the high hopes of fans and concert promoters alike, no such plans have been announced.
    Plant, in particular, has seemed opposed to the idea of hitting the road with his former bandmates.
    "The whole idea of being on a cavalcade of merciless repetition is not what it's all about," he told London's Sunday Times before the O2 show.
    That said, if the band did decide to tour, there's little doubt it would be a sellout event.
    More than 20 million fans entered the lottery for tickets to Monday's concert, for which only 16,000 tickets were available, according to organizers.
    Meanwhile, Zeppelin's temporary return has propelled the band to a sizable increase in radio airplay, according to Mediabase, a firm that tracks such numbers for more than 1,800 radio stations in the U.S. and Canada.
    Over a two-week period, the band saw a 15.1 percent rise in airplay, with 4,139 spins recorded on Monday and Tuesday of this week, up from 3,514 on Monday and Tuesday of the week before.
    The number of song titles in rotation also went up 21 percent, from 84 to 106.
    It seems plenty of fans are ready and waiting to get the Led out.

A friend from Vancouver made the trek, and was really impressed by the show. He was very struck by the job that Jason Bonham did in his dad's throne - apparently he had the material down cold. Nice...

I'd expect there will be a tour, soon enough. However, Plant has just pressed the CD with Allison Kraus and it is top of the charts in the Americana scene. I imagine Plant has commitments to a tour supporting that release - T Bone Burnett et al have a great deal invested in the endeavor. And, in typical Plant style, he'll keep the masses guessing for a while on a 'Zep tour...

So Rolling Stone magazine likes Led Zeppelin, eh? Back over 30 years ago when the band was popular the elitest journalism majors at the magazine hated the band; too popular with the rowdy working class for their taste.

I saw Zeppelin open for Vanilla Fudge in 1969 and the Fudge blew their doors off, I doubt Zep is a better band live now than then.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Brennan View Post
    I saw Zeppelin open for Vanilla Fudge in 1969 and the Fudge blew their doors off.
    Saw "The Chambers Brothers" open for "The Doors" in '68 and blew their doors off too....

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    Saw "The Chambers Brothers" open for "The Doors" in '68 and blew their doors off too....
    I can easily believe the Chambers Bros smoked the Doors, easily. I never liked the Doors much anyway, chick band, hip version of the Monkees. And how can you sound good without a bassplayer?!?

I was supposed to see them sometime back in 1970 or so (June 1969 so Google tells me). A drummer-friend had spent a year in England and got to know Jimmy Paige. When they were scheduled to play Kiel Auditorium in St. Louis with The Who, we had backstage passes. But the Zep never showed. Instead we saw The Who do a great show and up-close enough to get a chunk of Townshend's guitar (they were still busting them up back then. Strap horn of an SG if I remember correctly. Never figured out what Mom did with it.) and witness one of Joe Cocker's first concerts in the U.S. from a great vantage point. Still have never seen Led Zep.

Check out those ticket prices!:

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    I was supposed to see them sometime back in 1970 or so (June 1969 so Google tells me). A drummer-friend had spent a year in England and got to know Jimmy Paige. When they were scheduled to play Kiel Auditorium in St. Louis with The Who, we had backstage passes. But the Zep never showed. Instead we saw The Who do a great show and up-close enough to get a chunk of Townshend's guitar (they were still busting them up back then. Strap horn of an SG if I remember correctly. Never figured out what Mom did with it.).
    Oooh, I bet Krunchy would give you a Crown or two for that chunk of mahogany.

je

BMW---Yeah, I saw the Who and Cocker on that same tour when they played the Electric Theater in Chicago. Cocker was with the Grease Band, best band he ever played with IMO.

Also on the bill was Buddy Rich of all people.

I saw L Z at the Texas International Pop Festival in 1969. Night time show, leanin' back on the hay bales in front of the front row. There were some "other" bands there.
    I was told I had a good time.

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    I was supposed to see them sometime back in 1970 or so (June 1969 so Google tells me). A drummer-friend had spent a year in England and got to know Jimmy Paige. When they were scheduled to play Kiel Auditorium in St. Louis with The Who, we had backstage passes. But the Zep never showed. Instead we saw The Who do a great show and up-close enough to get a chunk of Townshend's guitar (they were still busting them up back then. Strap horn of an SG if I remember correctly. Never figured out what Mom did with it.) and witness one of Joe Cocker's first concerts in the U.S. from a great vantage point. Still have never seen Led Zep.

Check out those ticket prices!:
    I did, in St louis, just a few years later, 1975 maybe? Interesting, but while on a site called "dimeadozen" ( where you can legally download bit torrents of shows ) I actually found that show! Many others as well, with varying sound quality, from awful someone had a tape recorder to fairly nice recordings right off the mixing board.

Russellc

Thread Information