Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I buy this Crown?

Should I buy this Crown?

Is this a good amp, or will it amplify DC and smoke my voice coils? I'm looking for a good power amp which will be used for my Altec 9844-8b speakers for general listening and maybe my EV Sentrys for some studio monitoring.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...TODAY.m238.lVI

I would consider a new QSC, but there are so many model lines, though the "budget" lines are what I'd look at.

Thanks!

Crown Amp=Yes!

I bought a PS 400 to drive my subwoofer. Outstanding specs, it does 660W bridged or 550WPC at 0.05 THD bridged. Great amp and great specs. My fleaBay PS 400 is extremely quiet and did not blow up any of the speakers I tested it on. In fact they sounded outstanding, loud; but outstanding.
    You'll love it.
    Larry

manual ->> http://www.crownaudio.com/gen_htm/legacy/legacamp.htm
    Integra DHC80.1,3x 4636LF, 2360-2446J 2404H,12 x 8340 Surrounds, 2 x4645B, BGW 250D's,250E's,& 750B's 16 amps...7600 watts

The PS-200 is a nice amp, never causing any trouble. I have two of them.

The PS series is an update to the D-series and adds turn-on delay and DC/LF protection They are rated on their spec sheets at 100-watts-per-channel at 8-ohms, if that's enough for you. If space, weight, and money are no objects, the PS-400 is twice the power with no more noise than the quiet PS-200, but there's nothing wrong with the 200. (I paid $103 for a PS-400 last week, my second, but that's a bit unusual.). Price is probably low for the one you're watching since the seller made the mistake of selling two at once in different auctions. That's a definite no-no if you're trying to get the most money out of your sale. As a data-point, I paid $112 for a PS-200 and $145 for a PS-200 still in the box just returned from Crown with full service and checkout repair complete with receipt and MOD/X adapter. The bill from Crown was over 50% more than I paid for the whole amp! (They said they replaced a "faulty IC in control circuitry, tightened power-supply filter capacitors...replaced stereo/mono switch that felt too 'loose', updated the Control module..." and ran a "...full and complete bench test, re-calibrating it as needed, and burn-in. The amplifier passed all tests.") Four parts total. Included Crown Proof of Performance Report after repair tested at "full output" and THD run at 90W @8 ohms.

The version you're looking at is the charcoal earlier version with the little plate around the signal lamps. The MOD-X input module is a nice piece, too. I've paid as little as $5 for the modules or had them included as in your auction link. Be careful with it so the locating pin doesn't brake off. Hopefully you're close enough you won't have to rely on the seller to pack it properly of get the module off without breaking it. There should be as many as four plastic barbs holding the module to the amp but if you wiggle it to remove it you'll likely break the locating pin. I can send pics to show you what it looks like from behind if you want to remove it.

They're great amps, sound very "musical" to me, and Crown will back them up with excellent service for the foreseeable future. In almost 35 years I've had to send back one D-150A for a hum, and had another D150A-Series II (from ebay) repaired for free (one transistor) by a Crown authorized repair station courtesy of a friend.

Go for it! Buy both of 'em! Good luck!

I also have a PS-200 and a PS-400. They are great amps!

However... I would bench test ANY used amp before hooking it up to my speakers. But overall these are reliable and you shouldn't have a problem.

PS amps

I've got a PS200 and PS400 paid $100 each to get mine. Very good amp, and the go for very little used.

Allen

The two PS-200s this seller listed each went for over $170, or about $200 including shipping. Shows a pretty stable price for this model if you toss out the high and low anomalies. Pretty pictures help on Ebay. The hard Crown to buy cheap remains the D75A. Apparently size matters to some and smaller is better.

Thanks, guys. I can't seem to find any that are going in the c-note range, and I did lose those auctions. But looking at a couple more, so we'll see what happens. Don't want to get my hopes up

Their are a couple more languishing around $100. And there always seem to be one or two available. If it's any consolation (or if you needed a rationalization to spend more...) I'd never sell mine for less than $200!

I was a Crown fan for decades but it was a departed list member, Tom Loizeaux, who inspired me to acquire more. In his memory, this photo he sent me a while back shows his dedication to these amps.

Yep those older Crowns and Altecs work nicely. For sure, you should love the bass Altec and Crown make. IMO, nothing else makes bass quite like a Crown, theres just something about them.
    scottyj

Skywave-Rider: The PS-200 you're bidding on at least has cheap freight! i was looking at it, too, since it's so close to me, but I'll let you fight the fight. Just in case you don't succeed, at this price level and output you might want to consider the Urei amp in this post: http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...ad.php?t=19278

I think Heather, among others, is familiar with that series.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    Skywave-Rider: The PS-200 you're bidding on at least has cheap freight! i was looking at it, too, since it's so close to me, but I'll let you fight the fight. Just in case you don't succeed, at this price level and output you might want to consider the Urei amp in this post: http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...ad.php?t=19278

I think Heather, among others, is familiar with that series.

Good luck.
    Thanks, but Subwoof is the ultimate insider here for the JBL/Urei amps ... aligning and repairing them is one of his many specialties!

I like mine, plays quite well and the prices have been reasonable ...
    I have a 6260 running the woofers on my biamped 4 ways, and a 6230 running the upper 3 drivers.

Funny enough, it was that same departed list member, Tom Loizeaux, who encourage me to acquire JBL/Urei amps! Seems Tom influenced a lot of us ...
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Skywave-Rider scores! The other bidder made you pay up but the low shipping cost on that one makes up for it. Looks like it was gently used surplus. A little Goo-Gone and that sticker will be history. If you decide you need rack handles for it, I believe I have all of Crown's inventory of that item!

Let us know what you think when you get it and don't be afraid to request the seller do a decent job of packing for shipment. No bubble-wrap inside a flimsy box. Bagged in plastic with cut-to-fit foam, or foamed-in-place the way Crown does it, and then heavy box or double box is the only way. Subwoof knows how to do it better than anyone!

Enjoy!

YES! Hhahaha. Thanks, guys.

The price all tolled went for about the same as the first two I tried for. So remarkably consistent. I hope it arrives OK. I mentioned what you suggested in my paypal remark, maybe I'll send an email too....

Anyway, looking forward to it.

BMWCCA, you might hear from me re those handles -- glad to know you!

I'll let you know if it arrives alive.
    Thanks again to all.

Very curious! Why does the PS-200 in this craigslist ad look just like the one Skywave-Rider bought on Ebay? http://austin.craigslist.org/ele/507266492.html

This one below from Craig's List: This one belowfrom the Ebay auction:

Someone in Austin check it out for us, please?

Bricks hurtling my way...

Oh man. Well, I'm hoping that the Craig's Lister copied the photo from ebay; who is apparently a legit seller, from all the feedback. Hmmm...I got a tracking number, and some bricks totaling 35lbs are hurtling my way. I'll let you know in about 5 days......

Thread Information