Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MARANTZ 7 and 8B

MARANTZ 7 and 8B

I have a chance to get a nice Marantz 7 and 8B.

I know these by reputation only.

I would like to run them on my Paragon.

Any feedback from yous guys?
    Paragon
    Olympus
    L-100's
    4311's

Marantz 7 and 8B

Back in the day, the 7C was regarded as significantly improved over the 7. Still use a 7C today - about as musical as it gets, in my experience. Today's gear probably "cleaner" but musical, hard to imagine. Especially brass - all the ring and harmonics are there (old trumpet player!). I tried the 8B on my tri-amp set up for a month or so and it was excellent as well. Both are classics but rest assured this old gear will require regular "tune-ups" and TLC. Nearly 50 years old!

The 7C is outstanding. I'd consider one in my main system... I did have a 7T for a short time, neither it nor any of the Macs that I have heard are in that league. I haven't really ever listened to an 8B. The 9s are awesome and I think they are supposed to be similar.

Widget

Hi.

I have no experience with the old Marantz reference system, but i have spent some time with the newer SC-7 S1 and MA-9 S1 and all i can say is that they are awesome!

-Tim
    2213 + 2435HPL w/aquaplas + H9800 (Matsj edition)

Quote Originally Posted by timc View Post
    ...the newer SC-7 S1 and MA-9 S1 and all i can say is that they are awesome!
    That's cool... but the only thing they have in common is the name. The Marantz brand has been sold so many times, the Marantz today has essentially nothing in common with the old company that Saul Marantz created back in the '50s.

For awhile Marantz was part of Sony, then it was part of Phillips, and these days it is part of Denon.... who's next, LG?

Widget

After what I have been told that is not completely accurate. Marantz is today a part of DM holding wich owns many companies. McIntosh for instance, and Denon.

When it comes to most Marantz products i agree with you, but after seeing them all i can tell you that the SC-7 an MA-9 is somthing completely different from the others. An incredible build quality. Besides its the only products still manufactured in Japan. The rest is made in China.

-Tim
    2213 + 2435HPL w/aquaplas + H9800 (Matsj edition)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    That's cool... but the only thing they have in common is the name. The Marantz brand has been sold so many times, the Marantz today has essentially nothing in common with the old company that Saul Marantz created back in the '50s.

For awhile Marantz was part of Sony, then it was part of Phillips, and these days it is part of Denon.... who's next, LG?

Widget
    Good grief, lived through all the above - bought my 7C in '62, as I recall . . . along with a JBL 030 system! But, my question NOW is, what do we use to replace the 7C? What sounds as good, or better? What do people think of Van Alstine's stuff? Mike

Maron Horonzakz
    To set the record straight...Sony had nothing to do with the Marantz Co.. The Tushinsky Bros. owners of Sony Superscope distribution of Sony taperecorders bought the Marantz co for $17,000 000 Later it was sold to Phillips ,,Now DM holdings has the Co along with McIntosh, Dennon etc. I would say the Marantz SC-7 S2 and MA-9 S2 are the flag ship top of the line units They are well built and Designed .. I would take them over the dated mod. 7 0r mod. 9 There getting long on the tooth sonicly.

slight OT but

you don't see such things often

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=150194675135

Superbee when the price is right go for them. I've heard Marantz' old tube amps – they don't loose worth anymore and still have 'potential'. I'm sure you won't be disappointed – even sonicly..

GET THEM IF U CAN

They are great pieces for any collection as they represent 2/3 of the benchmark for audio of that time.If you could score a 10 or 10b that would make the set complete. As far as using it,I wouldn't.Keep it as a museum display. i replaced mine with an Audio Research SP-3A and have never looked back. The 8b was replaced by a Dual -50.The one with the Dynaco transformers and all the tubes sticking through the chassis.It's really good.I have replaced some electrolytics in the amp but nothing else.I reversed the terribly invasive Allegro Sound mods to the pre-amp and am now,very pleased with it.I'm still using my D-1005/C-33's vintage 1949 with the multicell horns for now as a replacement for these speakers would be a tough act!! In fact,I would recommend the Audio Research stuff to anyone on this site for anything except Drifting or 1/4 mi.drag competition and I may even reccomend it for that if you had a long enough extension cord of at least 16ga. And no nitrous on the D-50 as u will take out the EL-34 grids if you do!! Charlie MI-9448

tube amps

I used the model 5's than 8's for many years til I got a mc240,I liked the 240 over the 5's and 8's,but I like the mc30 over the mc240,the scott 290 b is also very nice,as well as the fisher 70-a,Heath W5(with needed mods).I still have have all of this ready for service but it seems I keep the mc30 in use most of the time.go figure,I can say that after all these years they all needed some work-caps-tubes-solder joints-ac cords and so on,I've been lucky because I do my own work,I wouldnt even know who to trust to do work if needed but they all will need work.so that maybe something to think of before jumping .but if you do,the 8's are very nice and good investment.that's my 2cents worth.dont get me started on preamps! or S.S. amps!

Quote Originally Posted by Maron Horonzakz View Post
    To set the record straight...Sony had nothing to do with the Marantz Co.. The Tushinsky Bros. owners of Sony Superscope distribution of Sony taperecorders bought the Marantz co for $17,000 000 Later it was sold to Phillips ,,Now DM holdings has the Co along with McIntosh, Dennon etc. I would say the Marantz SC-7 S2 and MA-9 S2 are the flag ship top of the line units They are well built and Designed .. I would take them over the dated mod. 7 0r mod. 9 There getting long on the tooth sonicly.
    >
    Quote Originally Posted by duaneage View Post
    Saul Marantz believed in quality and technical superiority, but the costs of making product in the US was at odds with his ideal. Ed May was obviously a brilliant man who was catered to by Marantz but ultimately even he had to realize the days of US manufacture and spare no expense construction were ending fast. JBL continued for many years with US manufacture of drivers and systems and the MSRP reflected that. So did Polk Audio, Infinity, Boston Acoustics and the rest. Eventually a few outsourced lines crept in until all we had were Chinese made systems. Consumers ultimately decided what we were going to have, not engineers.
    found this, which may help clarify
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

I've owned a few tube amps in my day and I have never been a big fan. I just don't see (hear??) the merits of additional intermodulated distortion and low power compared with solid state (SS) designs.

Anyway, I did, however, own a large SS integrated Marantz amp purchased new in 1973 or so. Anyway, it was rated at 75 a channel but it blew away other amps rated at twice that. It had two big blue power meters on the front cover. In addition to sounding great, it looked cool!

It was a very nice integrated amp (pre and power amp in a single box) and I regret selling it.

7 vs 7C

Quote Originally Posted by Mannermusic View Post
    Back in the day, the 7C was regarded as significantly improved over the 7. Still use a 7C today - about as musical as it gets, in my experience. Today's gear probably "cleaner" but musical, hard to imagine. Especially brass - all the ring and harmonics are there (old trumpet player!). I tried the 8B on my tri-amp set up for a month or so and it was excellent as well. Both are classics but rest assured this old gear will require regular "tune-ups" and TLC. Nearly 50 years old!
    Actually, the Model 7 and the 7C are identical in every way except for the fact that the 7C was supplied with a cabinet. But they are the same unit electrically. Although there were various production changes cranked in over the years, there is no difference in spec between the two....just the wood surrounding them. See complete history here. Hope this helps.

http://www.audiohistory.com/files/do...ntzhistory.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by kyalami View Post
    Actually, the Model 7 and the 7C are identical in every way except for the fact that the 7C was supplied with a cabinet. But they are the same unit electrically. Although there were various production changes cranked in over the years, there is no difference in spec between the two....just the wood surrounding them. See complete history here. Hope this helps.

http://www.audiohistory.com/files/do...ntzhistory.pdf
    While you are absolutely correct, enough people have mistakenly called the original tube Model 7 the 7C that it has become the de facto name for it. The 7T on the other hand while looking similar is not the same. I have only heard one example of the 7T. I really did not like it. I have no way of knowing if it was typical of their sound or if it was in need of a little help. I am currently using a Model 7C (with cabinet) and it is quite nice.

Widget

Thread Information