Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MARANTZ 7 and 8B

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    While you are absolutely correct, enough people have mistakenly called the original tube Model 7 the 7C that it has become the de facto name for it. The 7T on the other hand while looking similar is not the same. I have only heard one example of the 7T. I really did not like it. I have no way of knowing if it was typical of their sound or if it was in need of a little help. I am currently using a Model 7C (with cabinet) and it is quite nice.

Widget
    Interesting! I read the article link above and it seems Mr. Marantz was much like Edison, Ford, JBL; the entrepreneurs of that era who were visionaries and leaders if not highly educated. Hired grads to bring their ideas to fruition. Sounds like he married a terrific gal; math whiz who actually cranked out the math for early circuitry! Curious - does your 7C have any notation as a 7C? What I recall is that the cabinet was optional and could be ordered and some folks constructed their own. Mine is marked Model 7 on the rear, lower left panel and came w/o cabinet. The front panel simple states, "Marantz Stereo Console"

Quote Originally Posted by Mannermusic View Post
    Interesting! I read the article link above and it seems Mr. Marantz was much like Edison, Ford, JBL; the entrepreneurs of that era who were visionaries and leaders if not highly educated.
    Both Bill Gates and Steve Jobs were college drop outs... maybe some things never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Mannermusic View Post
    Curious - does your 7C have any notation as a 7C? What I recall is that the cabinet was optional and could be ordered and some folks constructed their own. Mine is marked Model 7 on the rear, lower left panel and came w/o cabinet. The front panel simple states, "Marantz Stereo Console"
    Yep, mine only says Model 7 also.

Widget

Maron Horonzakz
    When my Marantz preamp with cabinet was delivered from Allied the box stated Marantz 7C,,,The Marantz unit itself was labled 7

Quote Originally Posted by Maron Horonzakz View Post
    When my Marantz preamp with cabinet was delivered from Allied the box stated Marantz 7C,,,The Marantz unit itself was labled 7
    Thanks Maron - was hoping another "old timer" would jump in with the inside scoop. Mystery solved! So, the infamous 7C turns out to be . . . a box! Mike

Geeeez guys!

The 7 is the preamp, the C is the box. (C for console) Unlike tube cages etc., you either bought a naked 7, or a 7 in console, and they called it a 7C.

Best,

Old Timer

Maron Horonzakz
    How many box,s would you like me to print up ??? $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ CONSOLE, A panel on which are mounted dials switches and other apparatus used in controlling electrical or mechanical devices... Also a cabinet to house components..

The original post was also about an 8b, which I owned back in my college days. I have to say it was one of the best sounding amps I ever owned, and beautifully built. I miss it. I sold it for about a tenth of what they're worth now. I also had a pair of 2s, which were even nicer, IIRC.

Thread Information