Thread: Gauss 2381

Phil Jeffery

Gauss 2381

Hi Guys,

I have been putting off this project for a while now, but it's time to get off my arse & get it done.

I have a pair of Gauss 2381 12" drivers (the ones with the foam surrounds). T/S parameters are thin on the ground, but I have a sneaking suspicion that some the old hands here at the forum may have some data stashed away.

Basically, I would like to know a recommended enclosure volume/type & xover point. They came from a pair of SAE 'speakers, which, as I recall were a fairly smallish sealed enclosure.

Thanks in advance,
    Phil

Phil Jeffery
    Anyone? Just the T/S parameters would be a help.

Regards.
    Phil

The only way to get T/S parameters for that driver is to measure them. They were custom built by Gauss for SAE. To my knowlege, they were never used in any other system or sold separately. The white colour cone is a result of a very heavy coating of Aquaplas to increase the cone mass for use in a small enclosure. I have a pair of the SAE speakers that use this driver as shown here:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Regards

Don McRitchie

Thiel Small parameters

Do a search on Thiel Small parameters on Google and you can do some research on the different software that does these measurments. Some are harder to use than others amd some are more acurate. It will require a microphone. You can also do a search at DIYaudio.com and they have some very interesting low cost solutions. Someone there may have them as well.
    Shane

Phil Jeffery
    Thanks for the responses Shane & Don. It probably makes sense to do the measurements of the drivers myself, as they have been refoamed with what my rebuilder thought to be the closest match. I have never had the need to setup for or test Thiel/Small parameters, but it seems fairly straightforward, even with rudimentary gear.

Don, a "heavy coating of aquaplas" seems an understatement! When I am explaining the driver to people, I liken tapping the cone to tapping on the side of a terracotta pot.

BTW, in an earlier PM with another poster here at the forum, he mentioned that they were also used as a pair in the 2124 monitor, along with a HF4000.

I know from a 'net search that you are using them as rears in your HT, but would you care to give your opinion of their "sound"?

Regards,
    Phil

I know from a 'net search that you are using them as rears in your HT, but would you care to give your opinion of their "sound"?
    They're nothing special in the SAE's. They don't go that terribly low given the very restricted volume in that speaker. It would be interesting to hear them in a larger enclosure. In case you're not aware, these drivers were designed by Ed May after he left JBL in 1969.

I never knew that Gauss made monitors. Do you know anything more about 2124?
    Regards

Don McRitchie

Hello All
    I have the T/S for the 2831 speakers from some old Gauss info in my files.I do agree that the refoamed units should be tested since they are now a modified speaker

To Don,I also have a bit of info on Gauss studio monitors.This includes the 1154,2154 and the 2124.
    My scanner has taken ill and I probably will not replace it at this time.If anyone is interested in this info please contact me with a PM and a fax # and I will fax you the info.
    Best regards,Oldmics

Phil Jeffery
    Oldmics, I have sent you a PM.

Don, that's a bit disappointing about the bass response; my gut feeling from touching & and a pushin' was that these would be bass devils. No, I didn't know that Ed May had anything to do with these. Not that suprisining, I am on a steep learning curve from this era of equipment. Besides, I am not a native of USA, nor an expert on JBL in general. The SAEs I recovered these from were different to yours. They had the JansZen panels (one blown), but a single 2105 IIRC in place of the pair of mids shown in your pic. They seemed to be a retrofit however. Additionally, they were a standard box shape, not the ski slope front. The electrostatics sat in free air atop.

As may have become obvious, Oldmics was the off board guy who gave me the info about Gauss monitors.

While we're off topic, I'd just like to go a little more off topic & say that this site in particular & the 'net in general is an unbelievable resource! I could have spent the rest of my life getting nowhere with info on these drivers. I just hope that they are worth the effort in the long run.

Thanks again & keep on jubbling,
    Phil from Oz

Hi Jeffery

The speakers you describe would be the SAE Mark XII versus the SAE Mark XIV that I own. They were both in the product lineup at the same time with the XII's being less expensive model. I've never actually seen the XII's since the SAE dealer where I bought mine never brought them in.
    Regards

Don McRitchie

Little off topic, but what ever happened to Gauss? I have two 5840 15's and one has a problem. I'm really bumbed there are no original recone kits around.

Scott

They eventually became part of the Telex empire with Altec and EV and the brand was closed out at the same time as Altec in 1998. I believe the Altec Oklahoma City plant was the manufacturing facility for Gauss at that time. At least, I know for a fact that this was where you would send Gauss drivers to be reconed in the mid 90's.
    Regards

Don McRitchie

Thread Information