Thread: Hey, it's not my fault!

Hey, it's not my fault!

Ok, since all you guys reinfected me with "audiophilus lancingus expensivus"... here's another off topic question
    I'm working on burning CDs from my LPs, primarily for convenience. I purchased Sony SoundForge (greatttttt software btw) and am using a Denon Turntable with an AudioTechnika cartridge, but hasn't been calibrated in ages. Any good websites etc where I might download procedures for doing this?
    Thanks as always for the sage wisdom

PaulB:

(off topic, a bit)

1. What soundcard are you using in the PC...?

2. Are you archiving in .WAV files? That'd be best...
    Last edited by boputnam; 02-04-2004 at 11:52 AM.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

I can double check when I get home, but I believe it's a SoundBlaster card with a Live Drive I/O add on for analog ond optical inputs and outputs on the face side. I originally tried AudioSurgeon which was a great, inexpensive program but it was muchhhhhhhh slower than SoundForge and prone to crashing and losing files
    Sound Forge (with the LP Restorer add on) is truly amazing, I can examine the waveform and literally erase a click, set the noise floor, set parametric EQ's, spectrum analyze it, etc etc... great way to while away the hours and the end result is fantastic if you devote the time.

Check out the Vinyl Asulum, lots of good stuff there.
    http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/vinyl/bbs.html
    Charles.

arrrghhhh... thanks but maybe TMI (too much information) I'm afraid that will start me on yet another obsession, something my therapist would frown upon

I did a search under turntable calibration on Google and there seem to be some fairly straightforward sites with procedures that won't occupy an entire weekend...
    But not to sound ungrateful...as always Im indebted to all here for the advice and good humor...

Hey maybe you are right, I got back into vinyl about three years ago, the word obsession is an understatement. Man, all that music available and cheap, too!
    Charles.

Phil Jeffery
    Hi Paul,

There is quite a bit of information overload on the vinyl asylum board if all you're looking for is setup info, & unfortunately much of it is wrong anyway. The faq however is a great resource........

http://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/d.pl?...faq.html#vinyl

You'll be suprised at how easy it all is. I still get sweaty palms though while torquing up screws etc in the vicinity of that delicate cantilever/stylus!

Regards,
    Phil

jbl
    I receintly transfered my LP collection to CD. A recomendation is in order here. Regardless of the software you decide to use, record them as .WAV files. What i found to be the most important consideration was to set the line-in level to the output of the phono pre amp. This will assure that the CD will have the same output level as the LP had. This will require that you waste a few blank CD's, but the're cheap enough today, to find the correct level. Too high a level will distort and too low will not sound as dynamic. If your software has a scope feature that allows you to see the recorded result before burning the disk, that's a plus. Once you have set the correct line-in level, don't change it. Your LP's on CD will sound great.

jbl

Thread Information