Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need wood-finish advice

remove wax

The easiest way to remove wax very quickly is to use trichloroethylene, which will dissolve wax like no tomorrow. pre-heat the wood, and as you wipe them heat the wood with a heat gun.

The tri will cut the wax, and after several applications can draw (wick) the wax over into the cloth. Unlike naptha, this is not very flammable.

It will dissolve and remove wax like there is no tomorrow.test on your wood to make sure there aren't any weird interactions, but I wouldn't expect it. Finish by sanding as others have detailed. I personally finish with Watco Med Walnut doe great looking speakers. Final coat is with Johnson paste wax (1 coat)

If you're into waxed speakers you can heat (heatgun) the wood and fill the grain with wax, and use 500 or 600 grit sandpaper to fully fill the grain, then polish to have highly polished speakers which are silky smooth.

Personally I like the use of med walnut Watco by itself, with occasional re-application to maintain the speaker look.

Larry
    Integra DHC80.1,3x 4636LF, 2360-2446J 2404H,12 x 8340 Surrounds, 2 x4645B, BGW 250D's,250E's,& 750B's 16 amps...7600 watts

Thanks all for the help.
    This Friday I will go to a store that specializes in furniture maintenance and restoration. I hope they can help me with what domestic products to use.
    I tried some linseed oil on the inside of one of the cabinets and that spot is very close to the finish I want.
    Is the Danish oil typically the same colour as pure boiled linseed oil? I don't think we have watco's danish oil, but we do have other brands danish oils.

thanks again,

B.R: Jakob

Just a warning: trichloroethylene is VERY DANGERUS !!! You will get cancer from it.

Jakob: I think :rustic oil from junckers is what you are looking for.

mats

Ok, I'm ready to go wax removing!
    I got a liquid called Rubinol woodcleanser. It's general purpose is to remove polish, oil and wax from wooden floors. It uses some different Natrium compunds in a very mild solution.

You apply it with a sponge and after a couple of minutes you scrub the surface and then wipe everything off with water.
    It sounds messy, but I tested it on the back of one of the cabinets and it worked very well. It seems there isn't so much wax on the surface from the beginning thank God!

I'll post some more photos as I continue the work.

Quote Originally Posted by Jakob View Post
    Ok, I'm ready to go wax removing!

I'll post some more photos as I continue the work.
    Excellent.

Widget

Good news!

Guess what?
    I finally (after going through 15 different paint and buildingshops and searching the internet without luck) found a place in my city who sells staining oils. Guess what brand?
    Watco's of course! I tried some different colours, but I think I will go with the medium walnut for a start.

The place who sells this oil say that you shouldn't use to fine grit sandpaper before applying oil etc (they use 120 grit). They say that doing this can close the pores in some degree, reducing the amount of oil absorbed by the wood. Don't know if this is true though.

Watco's of course!
    Surprising... I guess this is just another example of just how the world is shrinking due to these mega corporations... sometimes for good and sometimes not so.

The place who sells this oil say that you shouldn't use to fine grit sandpaper before applying oil etc (they use 120 grit). They say that doing this can close the pores in some degree, reducing the amount of oil absorbed by the wood. Don't know if this is true though.
    That's true. If your sanding leaves a swirl pattern the stain will likely amplify the sanding marks. You should always do some tests when using a new product.

Widget

Thread Information