Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Clones

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    I think you all mispelled the name, much as they typed clown and mean clone ...

It's not zene, its Zune ...

Eat the young, eh??
    I think you mean Zeus, Father of Apollo, Zeus!

I’d be lucky to survive the evening if I don’t die laughing reading this thread.

This thread has gotten totally whacked.

Quote Originally Posted by speakerdave View Post
    He asked specifically for inside information about ripoffs of JBL engineering.
    "..inside information about ripoffs..."...? Did I say "what"...? I sure don't see that in the OP. His syntax suggests he is not very knowledgeable about these things and is seeking "swappable" drivers. That is allowed for the uninformed.

Quote Originally Posted by speakerdave View Post
    What's more, when someone tried to gently clue him in he persisted, with sarcasm. I think he's got a lot of ... nerve and needs to be told that.
    Your opinion is noted, and he has now been told that.

My view of these types is, their using P-Audio, or other, drivers lessens dead-end demand for good 'ol JBL drivers. I'll gladly steer them on the lousier road if that is their preference...

Fine'

I won't thank each individually that had something helpful, you know who you are. Appreciate suggestions. Special thanks to Rolf for PM. Forum rating for helpfulness is <20%.
    Moderator: Does this thread give you an idea of the type of elitist attitude this forum promotes? I am truly sorry for you.
    I do want to apologize for not being able to always afford JBL.
    I even have Altec horns mixed in with JBL drivers. Woooooooooo! Sorry I can't use the word Altec here.
    So everyone's system here has 100% JBL or nothing? Didn't understand the entry rules and financial qualifications for this forum. Maybe a DIY forum is more suitable for us commoners.

This thread could not redeem itself no matter how many good intentions were added; example: "Gee, I understand your predicament and I know it's damn hard to find anything even close but we are here to help if we can. Do your best to get JBL's as I feel they truly are better".

Zene
    Spell my ... name correctly out of respect and courtesy given any name.

Quote Originally Posted by Zene View Post
    Zene
    Stop, yer killin' me..................

Poster rating for quality of first few postings <10%

...I do want to apologize for not being able to always afford JBL...
    No need. Many are in the same boat.

As I said, many have no issue with suggesting swaps - and I added the joke about it freeing supply for the diehards. I guess THAT didn't sit with you either? Sorry.

You never answered questions - are you refitting the C34's...? If so, you really should model the interior dimensions of that cabinet and determine the characteristics of that box. And, or, if you can find the Thiele-Small parameters for the 130A (I did not check if they were available), you might try and match close-as-possible to a different driver - only that will approach the original sound.

But it's really not clear from your OP what exactly you are trying to do.

Actually the forum is incredibly helpful. This start is not representative.

Oh yea - one last thing.

Real names are not required here. We have no way of knowing when a name is real. Poking fun at a perceived moniker happens frequently on the Internet.

Gentle readers...

I'm taking one last ping at this thing.

Zene pm'd me and in our exchange gave a better explanation of what he was hoping to find. I think this is worth reviving - we can do better than we done, now knowing better what his needs are (whew! ).

---------------------------------------------------------------------
    In a pm Zene wrote:

... The JBL Model 34's were cabs I built/modified from scratch and ASSuming that D130's would not be hard to find or the alternative would be some other speaker. (ed: The D130's have proven hard to find...).

There are hundreds of back loaded horns very similar to the JBL's with all kinds of 15" speakers. Almost all of them should work well and that's all I was asking for. Hell, it could have been another JBL new or used. If you think about it a different JBL could actually be considered a clone of the D130 having had good results in other cabinets.

Budget was never the issue. Just plain $ spent for a particular speaker was.

Zene

------------------------------------------------------

Also, I should add from a separate pm, Zene had bought the P-150 thinking it would suffice, and the results were not satisfactory. I will let him post his appraisal, should he wish. comes to mind...

Even if he chooses not to post, maybe he can read the suggestions you guys have to help him out.

http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/jbl/plans/C34.htm

A variety of loads were available for C34 aka, earlier, Model 34:

http://www.lansingheritage.org/image.../page16-17.jpg

130A is a low frequency transducer, appropriately mated with compression driver mid/high plus UHF driver, if desired and/or required.

D130 is an extended range transducer, typically used with ring radiator VHF at a higher crossover frequency.

I'm not a bass horn guy, so I can't suggest which contemporary drivers would be appropriate, either JBL or other, but the complex of T/S parameters for low-frequency drivers appropriate to the use is well known. Keele, I think it was, worked out the numbers, and there's an AES paper on the subject, which may be available on his website.

D130 was cloned by many manufacturers, but I don't think it would be my preferred woofer in C34s, nor would I be using 075/2402 or LE175DLH for the HF. Others here may have actual experience with alternative loads.

Independent of the drivers used, I don't believe there's any way to get big, extended bass out of moderate-sized horns such as these....

JBL had its own clones. The 2135 is a clone of the D130 and ALWAYS sells more cheaply on ebay. The 2220(A,B,H,J) are clones of the 130A (etc) and ALWAYS sell more cheaply on ebay. These speakers are exactly the same functionally, except, I think, they can take more power because they are made with the high temp glues; the 4-digit numbers were devised when JBL split its business into consumer and pro divisions.

That part about the imitation not working out is another reason for not buying the ripoffs. They're not as good, maybe nowhere near as good. Waste of money.

David

You know, it's true. Money is a major player for a lot of people who want a somewhat decent sounding system. Sure, I'd love to have true JBL or Altec (or GPA) 15" drivers in my OB's, but they are simply too expensive for me at the moment. I'd also love to have a Velodyne SMS-1 and dbx Driverack PA or 260, but again, it's simply out of my price range.

But you know what, I make do with what I can afford. And to be perfectly honest with you, my current system sounds pretty damn good and definately better than anything I've ever bought and owned before.

It all may be a hodge-podge of components and it may look like a mess, but is sounds a heck of a lot better than it looks and it's sum of parts and I'd be willing to put it up against systems costing tens of thousands more dollars. I've heard those super expensive systems. Heck, I've even designed and installed the stuff professionally for a while, so I know quite well what I'm comparing my system to.

So in short, all I'm saying is cut the new guy some slack. Trust me, him, me or anyone else in the DIY world looking for a suitable "clone" of a JBL or Altec driver is NOT going to put these major companies out of business.

* IT'S ALL ABOUT COMPROMISE *

Charles
    http://charlest.zenfolio.com/img/v2/p1014411387.jpg

You either do it right, or you don't. Make do and make excuses, or not. Nothing wrong if you don't prioritize and invest in it. Just don't pretend it's the same.
    Just my opinion.
    I just get bugged by the cheap-ass mentality, 'cause usually people could , if they wanted.
    Mediocrity is way overrated.................

Quote Originally Posted by mikebake View Post
    Yea, the OP knows that, and was, as I say, bummed with the performance of the P-150. He didn't pick it 'cause it was cheaper - he has the means - but he had the impression it was a suitable swap. It was not.

He's looking for, largely, JBL alternatives to the 130, which has proved hard to find. I think Dave got it - the 2135 is a great choice.

Quote Originally Posted by mikebake View Post
    You either do it right, or you don't. Make do and make excuses, or not. Nothing wrong if you don't prioritize and invest in it. Just don't pretend it's the same.
    Just my opinion.
    I just get bugged by the cheap-ass mentality, 'cause usually people could , if they wanted.

Oh yes Master... I'll get right on that. "Make excuses"?? Riiiiggghhhttt.

"Mediocrity is way overrated..." Somebody has themself on a high horse.

And I "just get bugged" by the rich-ass mentality, get the best or don't get anything... Not all of use have jobs raking in $100k+ a year, just in case you didn't know.

Do you honestly think that I'm just going to sit here with my thumb up my backside and not have a stereo system because I can't afford the "best" equipment?! Screw that noise! I'm not here to impress anyone, and I'm certainly not going to not have a stereo system just because some uber-rich snob thinks I should only use the "best" equipment money can buy or not have anything at all. If that's the case, you better get rid of your equipment as well as I'm 100% sure your system isn't the "best" either.

I hate to break it to you, but the "best" is ONLY what YOU think is the best. It doesn't mean that it really is the best. The sooner you realise that, the better off you'll be... hopefully.
    Charles
    http://charlest.zenfolio.com/img/v2/p1014411387.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by ChopsMX5 View Post
    And I "just get bugged" by the rich-ass mentality, get the best or don't get anything...
    Then there is the "Home Theater in a Box" for all those bargain hunters looking for five times as much shit instead of a pair of something vintage and decent...

Widget

The cheap, better alternative to the D130 is the E130....only better.

...And it's a JBL....no less
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

Thread Information