Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Clones

To all ... Wasn't going to stick around but Bo (thanks) convinced me that there are great people here, and I surely need the expertise and probably more in the future as I try to get this Albatross flying. It's gonna be a biggy. The model 34/C34 is only the UB.

Thanks David, I will definitely look at the 2220 and 2135.

Apologizes to anyone I rubbed the wrong way. Never to any elitist in any walk of life.

Getting back to work if you care to respond, if not, I understand.

Next step ... below the C34 (UB), good to only 50hz at a guess I will need to cover a full octave lower. Only option I can see is ported subs. Back to the same old problem, two JBL 15's or 18's per side amounts to big bucks.

I'm not going to read all the previous posts so if something needs to be answered please re-ask.

Zene

Quote Originally Posted by Zene View Post
    Next step ... below the C34 (UB), good to only 50hz at a guess I will need to cover a full octave lower. Only option I can see is ported subs. Back to the same old problem, two JBL 15's or 18's per side amounts to big bucks.
    What exactly are your design goals? How large is your room, how low do you feel you need to get, how loudly will the system be played, will the system play mostly music or movie soundtracks etc., etc.?

Your needs and expectations will dictate what your best choices are... with all of the earlier noise, I have forgotten if you have a particular amp or set of amps you intend to use, but your choice of electronics also plays into the design mix.

If you flush out the details, reiterating those that some of us may have missed, I imagine we can help you with a wide range of design choices at several price points.

In general, as Dave has pointed out, JBLs with pro model numbers typically fetch far less on the used market... as do ferrites as Edgewound mentioned. These are but some avenues to try. Depending on your needs there may be drivers from other manufactures that also may fit the bill... typically JBL and Altecs are among the better drivers, but there are many other extremely well made drivers and some may be better bargains. All that said, without a solid design in mind to satisfy a specific goal, you can waste tons of money mixing and matching.

Widget

Widget ...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    What exactly are your design goals? How large is your room, how low do you feel you need to get, how loudly will the system be played, will the system play mostly music or movie soundtracks etc., etc.?

My only goal is to have a system that will play any music (no videos) at lifelike levels very cleanly. Room approx 12' x 40' with open adjacent living area 16' x 22', hallway, around 7000 cu ft. Open areas are to the rear of seated position.
    Bass response to at least 30hz. The speakers above the C34 will be large size waveguides and horns.
    All will be quad or quint amped with conventional SS amps, nothing fancy (DH Haflers so far).
    Zene
    Last edited by Zene; 12-11-2007 at 02:25 AM. Reason: Quotes

Quote Originally Posted by ChopsMX5 View Post
    Oh yes Master... I'll get right on that. "Make excuses"?? Riiiiggghhhttt.

"Mediocrity is way overrated..." Somebody has themself on a high horse.

And I "just get bugged" by the rich-ass mentality, get the best or don't get anything... Not all of use have jobs raking in $100k+ a year, just in case you didn't know.

Do you honestly think that I'm just going to sit here with my thumb up my backside and not have a stereo system because I can't afford the "best" equipment?! Screw that noise! I'm not here to impress anyone, and I'm certainly not going to not have a stereo system just because some uber-rich snob thinks I should only use the "best" equipment money can buy or not have anything at all. If that's the case, you better get rid of your equipment as well as I'm 100% sure your system isn't the "best" either.

I hate to break it to you, but the "best" is ONLY what YOU think is the best. It doesn't mean that it really is the best. The sooner you realise that, the better off you'll be... hopefully.
    That wasn't the point that I made, but you knew that. It was a statement of fact, and apparently you saw fit to be perturbed by it. Whatever, it still holds true.
    BTW, where does one get one of those 100K+ jobs? I could use one of those.

I love the smell of napalm in the morning.

00Robin
    Mike Bake,
    The 100 plusK jobs are in Wyoming. Go there and you'll be hired on the spot if you can pass the drug test given on the spot. You will have housing paid,per diem,insurance,yes FULL COVERAGE for everything and retirement and you better LOVE to work because they work 40-80 hours a week,overtime,doubletime and Wyoming is the last greatest place on earth,it really truly is. 550,000 people and they even have really good JBL's and Altec's there too.
    Just go to Pauling and Harnischfaeger Mine-Pro Services in Gillette,Wyoming
    Pittsburg and Midway in Wright,Wyoming
    Thunder Basin Coal,Gillette,Wyoming
    Decker Mining on the boarder of Montana and Wyoming in Decker,Montana and about a dozen other places. None of the mining is underground, it's right on top. Two new mines are being built and will be running by 2010....this is BIG money that never ends.
    Electricians,engineers,plumbers,large equipment operators and the like are great,but so are the laborers and $25 plus dollars an hour PLUS daily per diem,no state tax,no sales tax in Montana and real people really are great. Thats what laborers start at.
    No lies,THAT is where it's at and will be for the next 50 plus years. Oh,and the property taxes are zero if you are a vet,a vet's wife,or in service,and if you are not a vet they are SOOO cheap,you'll wonder what made the midwest so enticing.(about $600 for a 200,000 home) The school's are great,it is a dream come true gas is cheaper,eat real grass fed Angus beef for half the price...how much more should I say? Those two states are SOOO rich,they give back taxes to the people,yes,they GIVE IT BACK. Montana has a trillion dollars they are returning this year....Go west young man and never look back. You'll be glad you did. And take your speakers because you'll have the room to really hear them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    Then there is the "Home Theater in a Box" for all those bargain hunters looking for five times as much shit instead of a pair of something vintage and decent...

Widget
    Uh huh... Sure. Not all vintage stuff is decent. And I am certainly not a bargain hunter. I don't make a shit-load of money, hence I can't spend a shit-load of money. But you wouldn't understand something like that.
    Charles
    http://charlest.zenfolio.com/img/v2/p1014411387.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by 00Robin View Post
    Mike Bake,
    The 100 plusK jobs are in Wyoming. Go there and you'll be hired on the spot if you can pass the drug test given on the spot. You will have housing paid,per diem,insurance,yes FULL COVERAGE for everything and retirement and you better LOVE to work because they work 40-80 hours a week,overtime,doubletime and Wyoming is the last greatest place on earth,it really truly is. 550,000 people and they even have really good JBL's and Altec's there too.
    Just go to Pauling and Harnischfaeger Mine-Pro Services in Gillette,Wyoming
    Pittsburg and Midway in Wright,Wyoming
    Thunder Basin Coal,Gillette,Wyoming
    Decker Mining on the boarder of Montana and Wyoming in Decker,Montana and about a dozen other places. None of the mining is underground, it's right on top. Two new mines are being built and will be running by 2010....this is BIG money that never ends.
    Electricians,engineers,plumbers,large equipment operators and the like are great,but so are the laborers and $25 plus dollars an hour PLUS daily per diem,no state tax,no sales tax in Montana and real people really are great. Thats what laborers start at.
    No lies,THAT is where it's at and will be for the next 50 plus years. Oh,and the property taxes are zero if you are a vet,a vet's wife,or in service,and if you are not a vet they are SOOO cheap,you'll wonder what made the midwest so enticing.(about $600 for a 200,000 home) The school's are great,it is a dream come true gas is cheaper,eat real grass fed Angus beef for half the price...how much more should I say? Those two states are SOOO rich,they give back taxes to the people,yes,they GIVE IT BACK. Montana has a trillion dollars they are returning this year....Go west young man and never look back. You'll be glad you did. And take your speakers because you'll have the room to really hear them.
    All that joy and you are in Detroit, Wyoming??
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by mikebake View Post
    That wasn't the point that I made, but you knew that. It was a statement of fact, and apparently you saw fit to be perturbed by it. Whatever, it still holds true.
    BTW, where does one get one of those 100K+ jobs? I could use one of those.

I love the smell of napalm in the morning.
    No, that WAS the point you were making, and no, it DOESN'T hold true.
    Charles
    http://charlest.zenfolio.com/img/v2/p1014411387.jpg

Doesn't everyone want the best that money can buy? We all have different piles of money but we still want the biggest bang for our bucks, right? I'm confused as to how this has degenerated into a class struggle, but the lack of decorum displayed by those making disparaging comments based on class and income have soured me enough I may have to reconsider my Marxist leanings.

Back on topic

Only option I can see is ported subs. Back to the same old problem, two JBL 15's or 18's per side amounts to big bucks.
    Well there are a couple of things you can do. One is just use a single 18 like a 2245/2242. Another is get 2225 cores and have them reconed to 2235's. There simply is no way around it unless you take your time and get lucky on E-Bay. Cores and recones on the 2235's could cost you about $450 all up. Single 18's you might be able to do for a bit less. One thing that is good about using cores is when you are finished you have brand new drivers.

The system you are planning is ambitious. Be careful where you cut corners. Think it out and take your time. We all live on a budget. It took me about 2 1/2 years to put together my main quad amped system. It was worth the wait to get it all together.

Rob

Widget ...

My only goal is to have a system that will play any music (no videos) at lifelike levels very cleanly. Room approx 12' x 40' with open adjacent living area 16' x 22', hallway, around 7000 cu ft. Open areas are to the rear of seated position.
    Bass response to at least 30hz
    That sounds like it's possible to do within a reasonable budget.

The speakers above the C34 will be large size waveguides and horns.
    All will be quad or quint amped with...
    This is the part that confuses me... you seem to have already decided that you know what you need, but you still want advice?

I'd suggest starting over with the hard facts... your room and goal as described above and any electronics that you currently own and a blank piece of paper.

Widget

Uh huh... Sure. Not all vintage stuff is decent.
    Agreed!

In my opinion about 90% is crap... however, there are real bargains out there.

I don't make a shit-load of money, hence I can't spend a shit-load of money. But you wouldn't understand something like that.
    You'd be surprised.

However, I try not to waste what little I have on cheap junk that can't be repaired and will end in the landfill next year.

Widget

Thanks guys. Suggestions appreciated. Back to drawing board it is.
    Zene

Thread Information