Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Clones

Clones

Does anyone have a list of available alternatives for the older JBL/Altec speakers, 12" - 15" especially. My P.audio P150 is listed as a clone for the JBL 2226 and thought it would be good to have a list of others. Some speakers are hard/impossible to get or too expensive. Especially interested in speaker that has good specs for most 15" back loaded horns. Mine is the JBL Model 34 which originally used the D130.
    I will get D130s when I can for myself, but need something in meantime and may make others for friends using the clones.

Zene

Probably more common to find the C34 with the 130A (no "D" on purpose). I find your Freudian "clown" to be a more accurate description of what you're looking for than what you intended!

- Wrong Forum don't you think ?
    - Do you really think that we regulars ought to find a way to help you ( & like minded ?? ) put JBL out of business ?

- I'm not going to bother pointing out all the differences in the Ts parameters between a bona fide 2226H & the PAudio "Clown" .
    - You need to learn for yourself how to read these specs.

- A real 2226H costs all of $55.00 more at Part Express vs the mentioned Clown speaker, over at USA Speakers .

Thanks BMWCCA

Quote Originally Posted by Earl K View Post
    - Wrong Forum don't you think ?
    - Do you really think that we regulars ought to find a way to help you ( & like minded ?? ) put JBL out of business ?

I said nothing about putting JBL out. I buy plenty of current models for the PA, hi-fi and HT work I do for friends, but need DUPES of the older alnico and ceramics as close as possible for some less expensive systems. You DO know some are hard to find. Not everyone can afford vintage JBL's and sometimes I need them quickly.

- I'm not going to bother pointing out all the differences in the Ts parameters between a bona fide 2226H & the PAudio "Clown".

JBL 2226 couldn't produce bass in a back loaded bin with a stiff wind pushing it. They are for porting and that's exactly where my P.audio P150's are going.

-You need to learn for yourself how to read these specs.
    What do specs have to do how they will sound?

- A real 2226H costs all of $55.00 more at Part Express vs the mentioned Clown speaker, over at USA Speakers .
    I pay $230 less a pair for the P.audios. That's a bunch.
    No way did I say they were better, just close enough (the name clones) to get fair results. Not everyone in hi-fi uses JBL.
    Zene

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by Zene View Post
    Thanks BMWCCA

I pay $230 less a pair for the P.audios. That's a bunch.
    No way did I say they were better, just close enough (the name clones) to get fair results. Not everyone in hi-fi uses JBL.
    Zene
    Well that may be true but JBL is the best of the best of the best.

Zene Welcome aboard the Lansing Heritage site.

Did anyone read what I asked?
    So JBL is one of the best, so what?
    Nothing to do with my problem.
    I'm not here for a biased lecture.
    Just thought if anyone could help it would be you guys.
    Guess I was wrong.
    Says a lot for this forum.
    Zene

JBL 4645
    Did anyone read what I asked?
    So JBL is one of the best, so what?
    Nothing to do with my problem.
    I'm not here for a biased lecture.
    Just thought if anyone could help it would be you guys.
    Guess I was wrong.
    Says a lot for this forum.
    Zene
    Zene

Whoa, whoa, whoa hold on there don’t take it personally for heavens sakes. Stick around I’m sure some of the JBL veterans well get around to replying in the morning.

Peace be cool, its Christmas I guess a few of them may be wrapping presents up.

What do specs have to do how they will sound?

JBL 4645
    Zene

A lot I’m still learning the (hard way) about all this. Sensitivity, power handling, frequency response, and maximum sound pressure level that the speaker will be able to produce within its technical tolerance levels.

Cabinet loudspeaker enclosure is part that I’m not clued up on. But there are a lot of guys here far brilliant than I, just use a calmer approach because I’m sure there willing to share and help you out.

Maron Horonzakz
    NAAAAAHHHHH !!!! let him lick his bloody scabs elswhere

Do you think you could cut the guy a little bit of slack. All he did was ask. We know they are not the exact equivalents but lower cost driver that can be used for the same purpose.

I doubt they will perform as well but without trying them I have no frame of reference. You need to get a free box program like WinIsd and see what the do there and and then have a listen to them with the JBL's. Do an A vs. B and then make up your own mind if they are indeed close enough to be called clones of if they will suit your needs.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    I find your ... "clown" to be an accurate description of what you're looking...
    Yea, and I think it quite intentional - he'd love a JBL but believes them too costly...?

Start by telling us the application? You mention both 12" and 15". Is this home audio, SR, or what? Are you building your own cabinets, or swapping P-Audio baskets into an existing hole in the C34?

If merely re-fitting the C34, have you done sufficient research into which JBL will provide a good replacement for that C34 cabinet and know that it is priced out of reach? It would be a pity to shoot too low and end-up disappointed.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Zene----I don't know the specs but the neo magnet B&C woofers I heard in a couple of DIY hi-fi setups sound very good, especially in the upper bass and midrange and IMO would make reasonable substitutes for JBL or Altec woofers.

I suppose one would have to compare specs to find a "plug in" substitute but IMO the B&Cs warrant investigation.

And as you may know many people hold Eminence and Dayton drivers in high regard.

http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage....=327&sm=1&so=1

I know what HIS frame of reference is, and that is he doesn't care about anything but getting in cheap, and since he's asking us to steer him towards ripoffs of JBL engineering, this leaning over backwards to accomodate him in this forum as absolutely ridiculous.

David

Quote Originally Posted by speakerdave View Post
    I know what HIS frame of reference is, and that is he doesn't care about anything but getting in cheap, and this leaning over backwards to accomodate him in this forum as absolutely ridiculous.

David
    Nah, it's the season for warm wishes etc.
    If he can't afford a good system or isn't willing to spring for one, why not look into an affordable alternative.

These days I have multi-thousand dollar drivers and big ass horns etc., but years ago before I could afford them I listened to JBLs.

Widget

Thread Information