Thread: Are 5235 X-over XLR connector non standard?

scorpio

Are 5235 X-over XLR connector non standard?

Just tried to connect a 5235 in place of my current X-over using neutrik RCA to XLR converter, it ain't working. Can anyone confirm my little investigation that the XLR connection scheme on the 5235 is 'non-standard', with 'live' on pin 3 and ground on pins 1 and 2 in unbalanced mode (as per manual) while neutrik has the live connection of the RCA adapter connected to pin 1 or 2 (depending if the XLR is male or female) and the ground to pin 3+1 (or 3+2) ??

I did not want to dismantle the RCA of my current cable to connect via the screw connectors, but it seems like there's no alternative (except making custom XLR connection at one end of the cables).

Thanks,

Yes, it is like you described.

http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/Vin...5%20manual.pdf

see page 10

I have allways kept this in mind

pin
    1-X-Ground
    2-L- Live (hot)
    3-R- Return(cold)

male or female, has allways worked for me.

But seems your crossover is not to that standard.

This has been discussed here before - last time they taught me ...

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...highlight=5235

Zilch said: For the record, it's only the output connectors need modifying. The inputs are balanced, and although inverted, they'll work with RCA/XLR cables. It's the outputs that are the problem, as they are UNbalanced, and the standard XLR/RCA cables just short them.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

scorpio
    Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    This has been discussed here before - last time they taught me ...

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...highlight=5235

Zilch said: For the record, it's only the output connectors need modifying. The inputs are balanced, and although inverted, they'll work with RCA/XLR cables. It's the outputs that are the problem, as they are UNbalanced, and the standard XLR/RCA cables just short them.
    Thanks a lot Heather!

I would like to meet the guy who decided to change the standard of pin 3 hot to pin 2 hot. All the gear that I have ever used down this end of the planet was wired with pin 3 hot until sometime in the nineties. Microphones, amplifiers, rack equipment. It was all pin 3 hot to my knowledge. It can present an interesting problem when you plug an XLR speaker cable with 1 and 2 bridged, into an amp with pin 2 wired as hot!

swag

Some years ago a pro audio company gave out small buttons at a trade show with a spinner dial on it that said "HOT"

When spun it pointed to 1, 2 or 3 and said that is "today's" XLR hot standard....

That method of engineering persists to this day...mostly from the "blokes" with warm beer, so so food and who drive on the wrong side.

The JBL output connectors on that crossover are wired for pin 3 hot, pins 1 AND 2 are shorted together to the DC common which makes it way to chassis ground via ( sometimes ) a low ohmmage resistor AND the "lift" terminals in the back panel.

BTW shorting one output pin on today's balanced outputs is asking for trouble since it will destroy the special output chips often used. The best alternative is to actually IGNORE pin 3.

There are no fewer than 6 methods to obtain a "balanced" output and all require DIFFERENT wiring methods to preserve the noise floor and prevent loops. LOOK at the manual for your component before "assuming" or worse, asking on chat rooms....

fun fun fun.

scorpio
    Well, finally got them hooked up via the strips, not with very good connectors as it's only a trial for now. 5235 might not be the best as discussed elsewhere on this forum, still,

Cool Blame Switchcraft?

Quote Originally Posted by Allanvh5150 View Post
    I would like to meet the guy who decided to change the standard of pin 3 hot to pin 2 hot. All the gear that I have ever used down this end of the planet was wired with pin 3 hot until sometime in the nineties. Microphones, amplifiers, rack equipment. It was all pin 3 hot to my knowledge. It can present an interesting problem when you plug an XLR speaker cable with 1 and 2 bridged, into an amp with pin 2 wired as hot!
    The way I heard it, Switchcraft is the villain here. Seems Cannon's patent specified the pin numbers 2 & 3 opposite what we have today, and by changing the #'s they were able to produce the XLR we know today, with 3 being the middle pin. Switchcraft's XLR had many improvements over the original, like captive screws and fewer parts, which doomed the "Cannon Plug", much like Switchcraft was later pushed aside by Neutrik. Funny though, I've never seen a Cannon plug numbered any way but pin 3 in the middle...

So, technically, it's was (supposedly) pin 2 hot before the XLR came along and replaced the Cannon plug!
    Mike Scott in SJ, CA
    Drive 'em to the Xmax!

Thread Information