Thread: Genesis Reissues

Genesis Reissues

Any of you picked up the reissues with the 24/96 5.1 DTS mixes?? The rematering is good and the surround mixes sound really good.

Rob

I got Wind and Wuthering & Trick of the Tail last spring and I'm expecting the boxed set of the first five CDs which is due out any time now. The surround mixes were very nicely done. The SACDs sounded a lot better than the DVD versions. I will have more to say when I hear how they did with Trespass. I'm sure the other four will sound very good.

Hey Rob -- Sorry for screwing up the thread you started. I"m surprised that no one came along to rescue it. Obviously, I've been sticking with the SACD versions, but I'm sure the 96/24 editions are worth a better listen as well. I will spend some time with these and post on them in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusnzha View Post
    Hey Rob -- Sorry for screwing up the thread you started. I"m surprised that no one came along to rescue it. Obviously, I've been sticking with the SACD versions, but I'm sure the 96/24 editions are worth a better listen as well. I will spend some time with these and post on them in the near future.
    I'll continue to screw it up... what SACD player are you using? I have been pretty disappointed with the analog section of most of them.

Has Trick of the Tail been released in DTS surround? I have a Japanese presing of it from years back and while it sounds excellent, I always felt it was a bit thin on the bottom end. since the DTS mixes tend to be a bit bass heavy, I'd expect it to sound great...

Widget

My SACD player is a Sony NS999ES. In my frame of reference, this is a good sounding player. I was hoping to upgrade to the older of the Lexicons, but other sings sucked up my disposable cash. I play my CDs using the optical inputs on the HK 7300 since this sounds a little better. It has 6 bit stream converters on it and everything sounds better on it than any CD player I've heard

I've been getting music DVDs like Santana's Hymns for Peace. Santana is still kicking serious ass on these. I thought one of these was a 96/24, but I can't remember which one. One thing I did notice was how good it sounded. Did they find a way to get the equiuvalent of DVD-A out of a Sony player?

Last night, I warmed up with Caravanserai, Mizrab and a tumbler filled with Tvarski's 100 proof and some ice cubes. Next, I put on Wind and Wuthering 96/24. The old 412s sure as hell earned their keep. I turned it up a bit, kicked the recliner back and shut my eyes. I didn't move till it was over. It was so much fun, I had to get out the Trick of the Tail 96/24 and do it again. The SACD version seems more potent, but I will need to go back to it another time to see if it is as riveting.

Originally posted by Robh3606
    [quote]Any of you picked up the reissues with the 24/96 5.1 DTS mixes?? The rematering is good and the surround mixes sound really good.[/quote]

This thread has turned out to be dangerously educational for me. After sufficient evealuation, the 96/24 proved to be more natural sounding than the SACD. This must be due to the better analog section in the AVR 7300 vs the Sony NS999ES.

Originally posted by Mr. Widget
    [quote]I'll continue to screw it up... what SACD player are you using? I have been pretty disappointed with the analog section of most of them.[/quote]

In a relative universe, when one thing sounds better than what came before it, ignorance is bliss. You relieved me of this happy state and put a very expensive process in motion. The Sony NS999ES is now on its way to Modwright to get the analog section up to speed and some other enhancements done while it's there. I expect to get it back in 3 or 4 weeks. More on this madness later.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusnzha View Post
    My SACD player is a Sony NS999ES. In my frame of reference, this is a good sounding player. I was hoping to upgrade to the older of the Lexicons, but other sings sucked up my disposable cash. I play my CDs using the optical inputs on the HK 7300 since this sounds a little better. It has 6 bit stream converters on it and everything sounds better on it than any CD player I've heard

I've been getting music DVDs like Santana's Hymns for Peace. Santana is still kicking serious ass on these. I thought one of these was a 96/24, but I can't remember which one. One thing I did notice was how good it sounded. Did they find a way to get the equiuvalent of DVD-A out of a Sony player?

Last night, I warmed up with Caravanserai, Mizrab and a tumbler filled with Tvarski's 100 proof and some ice cubes. Next, I put on Wind and Wuthering 96/24. The old 412s sure as hell earned their keep. I turned it up a bit, kicked the recliner back and shut my eyes. I didn't move till it was over. It was so much fun, I had to get out the Trick of the Tail 96/24 and do it again. The SACD version seems more potent, but I will need to go back to it another time to see if it is as riveting.
    Not to further corrupt the thread but..., I am really dis-satisfied with Santana's Abraxas in DTS.

It's much better since I redid the surround speakers (replaced the CVs with the JBLs), but still not all that great. Additionally, Carlos (or whoever), could/should have left the "shouts" back in the studio (they don't appear on the regular recording).

I use a Yamaha DVD/SACD/DVD-Audio, Model DVD-S2300. S&V rated the DVD-Audio section as fair, but the SACD was among the best tested.

Originally posted by toddalin
    I am really dis-satisfied with Santana's Abraxas in DTS.
    I got that one too & played it once -- DTS can sound good, but this was really dissappoining.

The SACD of Caravansarai is in stereo and badly overpriced, but it brings it home nicely. His best stuff is on DVD from the Montreaux concerts.

Thread Information