Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Performance series + DIY

Performance series + DIY

Well, I bought some new PT800's off Ebay in December, and started tinkering soon after. Actually, I immediately decided that $2200 for a pair of PS1400's wasn't gonna happen. Besides I had already been biamping in my current set-up, and had some woofs available. SO..... I bought some Parts Express boxes and threw my Le10H-1's in them. I know a lot of folks consider 10's too small for bass, but I think these are the most incredible drivers made. Period. The Le10H-1 has never sounded like a 10" woofer to me. If you set these guys up for bass they will deliver. So, after some tuning to get things the way I like em, I started doing a lot of listening.
    The Pt800's are some really, really clean sounding speakers. But, I never,ever emotionally connected to the music while listening to them.. I listened to them and played them constantly for several weeks, giving them ample break in time, but there was something about them that I couldn't relate too. The only flaws that I could identify were a treble that was a little too emphasized for my taste( on occasion), and I thought most importantly, that vocals just did not sound natural. In particular male vocals would sometimes sound funny. Anyway, I have what I consider a pretty good rig and I have never had the cash or felt the desire to spend big bucks on speakers. I had hoped the PT800's would be all things for me- but they weren't. Certainly fine speakers for what I had paid for them, but really not worthy of what I was driving them with.
    So that's the background, and here's the story. So I decided to build some xovers according to the schematics with all premium components. It was not a cheap affair- about $700 in parts, but the results are easily worth it. The improvement was apparent immediately upon installation, but I still did not consider them my last stop for a while until they had broke in for a couple of weeks. Not after the couple weeks break in the sound has become so good that I often cannot imagine the sound being better! And that is a first of sorts for me. I have played them now many times since they have opened up for me, to be sure that it wasn't the moment ( or the wine), and indeed they impress the hell out of me every time I play them.

I have some pics. The first is the xover that I built in the outboard box that I built to house it, compared to the stock xover. The Mundorf 8.2 mfd cap is about half the size of the entire stock xover network alone! The second pic shows the xover box on top of the bassss unit behind the PT800. I built the xover boxes to fit perfectly there. I then filled the with sand and covered them.

Short story- The improved xover really release the true potential of these speakers.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Nice work...very nice.
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

Oh yeah, That was the wrong pic. this is the one with the box uncovered. And I forgot to mention that since I already had 3 runs of my favorite speaker cable, I went ahead and made the crossovers bi-wirable.

Obsolete
    Yeah Baby!

Let's see some pictures of those LE10's too please

I know a lot of folks consider 10's too small for bass, but I think these are the most incredible drivers made. Period.

Um, no...
    Me too. I have six of them.

Great Story ! Great UpGrade

Quote Originally Posted by Giskard
    Let's see some pictures of those LE10's too please
    Yes indeed , lets see those little 10" thumpers

Hey, Thanks guys. I knew there were other Le10H-1 fans here. I have put an honest 800 watts into the LE10h-1's on peaks when listening to Mettalica, or Tool. Not to mention they are probably the most natural sounding driver I know of. Everything sounds lifelike through them.
    Here's a shot from the driver's seat.

Obsolete
    The guy reflected in the fireplace looks weird, his feet are pointing in, but everything else looks great!

Oh yes, as far as bass goes, I love powerful bass- but it has to be fast and articulate for me. I also have 2 subs in my system- 1 is always off, and the other is only used on the rare recording that I think needs a little boost- and it is set on 2. the Le10h-1's cover all 95% of the time.

My listening is pretty much 2 channel only , although I do use for movies and sports sometimes.

Yeah, the guy in the reflection is definitely weird- one of those obsessive audiophile types. But I think the pigeon toed thing is a matter of reflection.

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by skeptical1
    Yeah, the guy in the reflection is definitely weird- one of those obsessive audiophile types. But I think the pigeon toed thing is a matter of reflection.

Well, I think this is really great and thanks for posting it.

Quote Originally Posted by skeptical
    The second pic shows the xover box on top of the bassss unit behind the PT800. I built the xover boxes to fit perfectly there. I then filled the with sand and covered them.
    - Among a few others ( including the Westies ) , I know that Jean will be pleased with the sand dampening .

- I see the 2 sub boxes but not any actual le10h woofs . Are there two per box ?

- Which portion of the new networks' circuit, uses the Mundorfs ?

Thumbs up Nice.

Excellent and inspiring.
    Out.

Hi Earl, 1 Le10 per box. They are the 2 cu. ft. boxes. I used the parts express flared ports and finally wound up with a 3" length, I think.
    The crossovers utilize solen caps in the two shunt positions 56uf. & 13 uf, with Kimbercaps for the bypass. All other caps were Mundorf Surpreme, with Mundorf PIO for Bypass. All resistors are Mills 12w, and all inductors are Jantzens, from Parts Express.

Nice work!
    Paying debt to Karma...

Smile Could you...?

Dump out all the sand and get a closer, straight on shot of your handiwork? Also, the underside of the project board?

That's a fascinating exercise, and it deserves more exposure.
    Out.

Thread Information