Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Medium to large bookshelf-size recommendations?

Medium to large bookshelf-size recommendations?

I have a pair of very average speakers in my family room adjacent to the kitchen, where we do all of our music listening. They're wall mounted in the upper corners of the room - ceiling height, due to space restrictions. I'm looking to get something better in their place. I'd like to stumble across a good deal on older quality speakers as opposed to paying for new audiophile quality speakers. I'm a good Craigslist hunter.
    A buddy of mine has a pair of L20Ts that I've always thought sound great, and still do.
    Without confirming the model number of his speakers, and assuming that all JBL speakers would sound as good as those, I came across a really good price on a pair of JBL 2500's. I know - no comparison.
    Since the 2500's are smaller and don't hold a candle to the sound of the L20T's, they're now in my garage hooked up to an old Pioneer amp & do quite well there.
    I saw a really good deal on a pair of 2600's, but opted not to get them, figuring that I'd hold out on some L20T's.
    Lo and belhold, a pair came up on the local Craigslist "Excellent condition, with metal floor stands - $75".
    I jumped, but missed them. Somebody was quicker than I was
    So what I'm looking for is something no taller than 18" that sound as good or better than the L20T.
    Any suggestions as to what I should look for (with an 18" cabinet height restriction)?
    Thanks,
    J.P.

Seems like BMWCCA in Charlottesville got that sale - I picked them up for him Monday and will I'll deliver them to him tomorrow ... (just needed some Howards Feed'n'wax)
    Keep looking - I'm a big fan of the L20T, and I see them in the DC list every month or so. Another pair will turn up again for you!

Quote Originally Posted by JPTL View Post
    A buddy of mine has a pair of L20Ts that I've always thought sound great, and still do ... Lo and belhold, a pair came up on the local Craigslist "Excellent condition, with metal floor stands - $75".
    I jumped, but missed them. Somebody was quicker than I was
    So what I'm looking for is something no taller than 18" that sound as good or better than the L20T.
    Any suggestions as to what I should look for (with an 18" cabinet height restriction)?
    Thanks,
    J.P.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Too bad you can't do 19"...

Then you could do 4301b's....

http://www.jblpro.com/pub/obsolete/4301b.pdf
    Cheers!

Analog Addict

Jack of all Trades, Master of None
    Searching for Sonic Nirvana

L1

I'm a big fan of the L1. Not as pretty as the L20 but a solid performer. They can usually be found for around $100 or so depending on condition.

$100 bucks for L1's... why do I always overpay

Careful with the L1's though cause they have a sloped face (trapezoidal) so if you're going to put them up high in those corners, you'd probably have to turn em upside down, which may not be a big deal, it might only be an aesthetic factor (the grills will be tricky updside down as well)

The L15 is a nice smooth sounding bookshelf.

or go a-la-carte...

http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/...s/jbl-catl.htm

I always liked the little studio series S-38s. They are intended to sit sideways, so they are wide but not too tall.

C'ville and Phil- the Passing of the L20T

Okay, its done, I delivered the DC area L20Ts to BMWCCA down in VA today. Tempting as they were, Emma wasn't gonna let me collect another set of speakers so we passed them fast. No Speaker parlor pictures here - he helped us load an antique vanity Emma bought at the antique shop (behind us), then treated us to conversations and a wonderful bagel lunch ...

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Seems like BMWCCA in Charlottesville got that sale - I picked them up for him Monday and will I'll deliver them to him tomorrow ... (just needed some Howards Feed'n'wax)
    Keep looking - I'm a big fan of the L20T, and I see them in the DC list every month or so. Another pair will turn up again for you!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4

Quote Originally Posted by Don C View Post
    I always liked the little studio series S-38s. They are intended to sit sideways, so they are wide but not too tall.
    The S38 is an excellent choice for a modern design that has some redeeming qualities. Check out the past reviews for proof that they are quite the little performers.

I use mine as the front effects when I get the rare urge to run 7.1 channel stereo DSP in my HT. I did audition them as mini-mains when I first bought them. They put out some serious SPL, but are a little harsher on the high end than any vintage JBL.

OT but what the heck: This is the second time I've met Heather (and Emma) and it's a real tribute to this list and the people on it that we're so willing to help each other. This transaction was so smooth and friendly I almost forgot to repay Heather the cash she'd laid out for me to make the purchase! Sorry, JPTL, but it surprised me the L20Ts were still available on CL one day after posting in the DC market, so I jumped. The seller was (on the phone) helpful and reasonable, and Heather stepped in immediately to make it happen. Oh yeah, and the stands are quite nice, too. Probably worth the entire price if you need that kind of thing.

I gave the L20Ts a short audition sitting next to my 4412As using the set-up in my avatar (Crown PS400, Soundcraftsmen DX-4200). Surprisingly, they "appear" to have more bass output than I expected (not low but still a good impression) but what I hear is a bit of a hole or drop-out in the mid-range. Maybe I'll investigate the crossover mods I've noticed suggested here, but all in all they sound better than I expected. I don't think they put out the volume of a larger speaker even driven with the same power but that's just simple physics, otherwise we'd all have tiny speakers! I'm thinking they're a damn good value for the price they bring and would make a decent secondary system in a small room for any critical listener. I'm sure they're damn nice used as rears in a surround system like Heather's running them.

I intended to set the L20Ts up on their own in another room but the Soundcraftsmen Pro-Control Four I bought on Ebay recently got swapped with the seller's Kenwood amp by FedEx shipping and packing (another bad example of packing, too) so I'm waiting for the intended system's front-end to arrive. I'll wait until then for a longer audition.

A big thanks to Heather for her help in bringing the little guys into my home. And a very happy Thanksgiving to all of you here. You're a great group.

Back to your original question and, assuming you have 18" to give in height and something more in width; many JBL bookshelf units can go sideways. My 4412As are actually designed to be horizontal and they're only 14.5" "tall" that way (23.5" long though). But man they could fill your small room. Even an L112 is considered a bookshelf unit but your shelves had better be pretty substantial when you get to this size speaker. I'm not usually lucky at games of chance but even I've been able to buy a pair of 4412As for under $200 in nice shape.

There's a nice pair of L56s right now on DC Craig's List for a hundred bucks. No reason you couldn't put those on their side. Hope you get them!

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    There's a nice pair of L56s right now on DC Craig's List for a hundred bucks. No reason you couldn't put those on their side. Hope you get them!
    I saw those on CL right when they were listed, and promptly gave the guy a call. Very nice guy who knows much more about JBL's than I do. He says that they're in great shape & I believe him.
    I was going to swing out there this evening to pick them up, but family dynamics have prevented me from getting out. I had to call him to cancel.
    Even though he was nice enough to hold them for me, I had to tell him that I couldn't commit to buy them, and first come, first served is only fair.
    He said that there's somebody else who has second shot at them, so maybe she'll snag them.
    He'll let me know if he sells them or not, and if not, maybe I can get some time to get out there.
    I guess we'll see...
    How do these compare to the L20T's soundwise?

Move on them quick, pilgrim, they sound interesting and I'm thinking them over ...

Quote Originally Posted by JPTL View Post
    I saw those on CL right when they were listed, and promptly gave the guy a call. He says that they're in great shape & I believe him. I was going to swing out there but I had to call him to cancel. He said that there's somebody else who has second shot at them, so maybe she'll snag them.

I'm guessing the L56 is a much more "grown up" speaker than the diminutive L20T. From the components I'd expect it to sound a bit like an L112 (one of my favorites) with a little less bottom and some compromises in the middle. All in all it should make a much bigger sound than the L20Ts. I can't imagine it would disappoint in that condition for a hundred bucks. I'd love to find out.

Go heather! He who hesitates is lost. JPTL is obviously not listening to the advice here and seems incapable of pulling the trigger!

Wow. I feel like a guppy in a shark tank
    If my having to be at home to watch my kids makes me incapable of being able to 'pull the trigger', so be it.
    The way I look at it is I couldn't get out there regardless of how badly I want these, or how committed I was to buying them.
    Since I was the first to express interest in these, the seller gave me the consideration of giving me first shot at them. Pretty decent of him, IMO.
    The least I could do was to communicate with him and tell him that I couldn't make it, and not try to string him along by trying to prevent the next interested person (maybe you, Heather?) from getting to them. That wouldn't be fair to either.
    First come, first served.
    If you decide to pick these up, Heather, I hope that they sound as good as they look.

Sorry if I offended. I understand family responsibilities. However, this is what I was referring to about pulling the trigger:
    Quote Originally Posted by JPTL
    I had to tell him that I couldn't commit to buy them
    It's OK. You'll learn . . . . . or you'll just have to listen to something else!

Thread Information