Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Crown DC 300 Enters TECnology Hall Of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by MikeBrewster77 View Post
    Just ran into this problem with the new Whitney Houston album (which, is surprisingly good) but very bass heavy. I have the township noise violation ticket to prove it
    When their marriage went sour, did she end up with the home and home studio? It was quite a little studio...

Bob
    "It is said, 'Go not to the elves for counsel for they will say both no and yes.' "
    Frodo Baggins to Gildor Inglorion, The Fellowship of the Ring

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM

I think I remember seeing that she sold it almost immediately after the divorce.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeBrewster77 View Post
    Just ran into this problem with the new Whitney Houston album (which, is surprisingly good) but very bass heavy. I have the township noise violation ticket to prove it
    noise violation ??

playing too loud OR the CD is noise to the township law enforcement ?
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    noise violation ??

playing too loud OR the CD is noise to the township law enforcement ?
    Quite possibly a combination of both since I do live in a rather rural area. Based on the "talking to" I was given, however, it was sound level.

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    It makes no sense. Flat should still be flat. Engineering around a response curve, whether it's the monitors', the engineer's ears, or the intended listener's clock radio or ear-buds is a crock.
    It has nothing to do with flat response curve. That is why I said there is no fakery with large format monitors. IT HAS EVERYTHING TO DO WITH, dynamics, sound stage, SPL level, velocity, source material, distance from the monitors, effect of acoustics, room anomalies, second reflections, ear fatigue, humidity, the list goes on...these are the things that can get out of control when mixing with large format monitors. THIS IS ALSO THE WOW FACTOR THAT OFTEN MAKES BIG SPEAKERS SOUND LARGER THAN LIFE. For example, that low end hump in your control room that can make a kick impale you against the wall, ain't even triggered with a wimpy little box. All of these things are easier to control with small speakers. In the simplest of terms, if the speaker is right in front of your face, you are not going to hear the bounce of the adjacent wall...but of course it goes way further than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Sanford View Post
    I'll lend you a song recorded on a multi-track with a built-in mixer, and you can do multiple mixes using each of your home systems that you're intimately familiar with as monitors. Once you hear how different each of your mixes turns out to be, you'll see (hear) some of the things you're missing with the statements above. You could probably even do multiple mixes on the SAME gear, and they'd come out differently depending on allergies, humidity, whatever.

It ain't just about "flat" frequency response, it's also about dynamics & stereo information & other more elusive aspects. It's all about compromise, and the engineer's experience with the gear & volume level they're using as reference. You learn to mix on something (NS-10s, or whatever), and you take note of how changes to what you hear in your reference system translates to how things sound on other systems (big rigs, subs + sats, boom boxes, IPod docks, car stereos). NS-10s just somehow became a standard, so you could walk into an unfamiliar studio & have a known quantity.
    WELL SAID, and that is the second half of the equation. If engineering was as simple as the art of critical listening, then we would all be doing it. It is only after years of making all of these mistakes that one learns how to tame the intangibles into a consistent product. NS 10's became a tool that aided in this process-- a fluke of timing really. If all you are doing is listening and offering a critique, then there is no need to consider all of the intangibles that goes into a mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Akira View Post
    In the simplest of terms, if the speaker is right in front of your face, you are not going to hear the bounce of the adjacent wall...but of course it goes way further than that.
    I suppose we should all dump our big speakers and get little ones and put them right in front of our face so we can hear what the engineer intended!

But if we do that we'd miss the "wow factor". So if we engineer on small speakers the incidental consequence is it sounds better on big speakers? Doesn't everything sound better on big speakers???
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Apologies for going so far off thread...

What can I say--size matters.
    For me listening is about fun, excitement and emotion. (within reason) I think a good speaker does all of these things while, keeping things under control and in perspective.
    Mixing in a studio situation is about consistency and keeping it real.
    I have never believed that music should be approached from "what the engineer intended." The goal should be to try and deliver a consistent product that translates into fun, excitement and emotion over a wide variety of playback systems.

Quote Originally Posted by Akira View Post
    What can I say--size matters.
    For me listening is about fun, excitement and emotion. (within reason) I think a good speaker does all of these things while, keeping things under control and in perspective.
    Mixing in a studio situation is about consistency and keeping it real.
    I have never believed that music should be approached from "what the engineer intended." The goal should be to try and deliver a consistent product that translates into fun, excitement and emotion over a wide variety of playback systems.

My thinking exactly, well said, Akira!
    scottyj

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Mark View Post
    But one interesting thing has popped up: My old Harman Kardon HK870, 100WPC power amp, is actually LOUDER than the Crown, which is has more RMS power!!

Doc
    You're confusing power and gain, the Crown being a pro amplifier has less gain and needs more input to reach rated output.

Also, no offense but "RMS power" means nothing. It doesn't exist
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_p...ine_wave_power

Thread Information