Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: L-100 Crossover design

dgorshe

L-100 Crossover design

Anyone want to help me design a crossver for an orginal set of L-100's. the orginals are kinda cheesy and the cut off frequencies dont get the full potential out of the LE5-2 midrange. Any ideas would help, thinkin about crossing the midrange at 800 hz and keeping the tweeter the same at 5000hz.
    Sorry about the newbie question.

Re: L-100 Crossover design

Originally posted by dgorshe
    ...the orginals are kinda cheesy

Are you sure, sure, sure you want/need to do this? If you've got that kinda knowhow, there are better JBL endeavors that will reward your efforts much more richly (read: audibly). JMHO...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

dgorshe
    Umm... i need ideas on the other endevors then.

Obsolete

Use an L50 crossover and see if you like the results better.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Obsolete

L50A
    Attached Images Attached Images

Obsolete

If the lower midrange ends up sounding goofy, throw a 3.5 mH inductor with a DCR of 7.5 ohms across the LE5.

Also run an impedance curve on the L100 driver to get the conjugate/zobel in the N50 set right for it. In other words, the 36 uF capacitor might need to be adjusted somewhat for the L100 LF instead of the 127 LF.

dgorshe
    thanks for the info.

Originally posted by dgorshe
    Umm... i need ideas on the other endevors then.
    Well, my only point was that particular assemblage of transducers is not the apogee of JBL design. If you got the know-how of network design, you might be more pleased with differently directed efforts.

But, I've been roundly criticised for my admittedly jaundiced view of the L100, so carry on...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Obsolete
    Oh I get where you're coming from Bo. I'd personally just toss them off a third floor roof and see if they bounced, or donate them to Letterman so he could test if they floated, but if someone wants to play around with them more power to them

Originally posted by Giskard
    Oh I get where you're coming from Bo. I'd personally just toss them off a third floor roof and see if they bounced, or donate them to Letterman so he could test if they floated, but if someone wants to play around with them more power to them
    Yea, exactly. I just love the WIDE-EYED response :shock: when a good set of ears (finally...) starts moving UP the JBL food chain. There is SO much up there...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

dgorshe
    so are the 4312's a move up on th jbl chain or just the same old shizt. L-166's? or are they also cursed with the "L" syndrom? Remember im only in college so cash flow is at a minimal.

Obsolete
    If you have the L100's then play around with them. Don't worry about our constant maligning of the L100, it's fun. One thing is certain, you're starting out with more loudspeaker than I did.

Doug (it is Doug, isn't it...?)...

The 4312 is a modest upgrade from the L100 - the MF has less of the rising response character that "plagued" (my word) the LE5-2. Having said that, the L166 is certainly another step beyond, with the improved MF, better HF (although as Giskard has pointed out, it can be quite "strident"... ), and it has a lo-pass / hi-cut filter on the LF which neither the L100 or 4312 have. Oh, and there certainly is no "avoid the L's" metality here - that is a fine lineage.

So, if your searching and have dough for one pair, there you are.

If you've got the L100's, follow Giskard's network suggestions, get a waterbed and a case of Heineken and you'll amaze your friends with your precise attention to period...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

dgorshe
    well i have the L-100's at home and im away at school so they are bing used in my dads room right now, i have the 4312's right now and 2 sets of L-166's

Giskard, what are the cut off frequencies on the L-150?

For the best and most amusing readings ever on the L100 search for Bo's ultimately triumphant L100 basher thread where he nearly got seared by the Hoards after being dunked then plucked masterfully by Macka and Don's billiant follow-up on the L100's history in the making...the full Monty...probably the best post on the Forums to date.

Damn Yankee

Ian:o

Thread Information