Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Crossroads Guitar Festival

If you do decide to get John Mayer's new disc,look for the two disc version.It has a live disc from this summer that's worth the price of it.And btw it's TRY not trio.

Yes, it is called TRY!, but the group is called "The John Mayer Trio", so I guess everyone is right. Certainly right about it being a terrible CD!

Yep,it don't sound to good.To get back to the show ,it was on again last night.Was good to see Los Lobos doin there thing!

I think Albert Lee is a far better player then all that were present.
    Beck always made me want to put on some real music after 10 minutes. Talented..........yes. Enjoyable to listen to.........NO.
    Clapton is WAY overated, but has his devoted followers from the 60's when he made an impression and think that every signature/ repetitive solo is "magic".
    Ricky Skaggs is a pheominal talent and like him jammin with others more than solo.
    Mayer is talented, but he is a little too wimpy, atleast in alot of his material.

If you're having trouble finding the Crossroads 2007 DVD, hang in there. It was in stock the night the program first aired at Best Buy and many others but soon went into backorder status. I ordered it from Amazon with a bunch of other stuff to give as gifts and the status was listed as "in-stock shipping in two days". A week later the entire order remained un-shipped because "Crossroads" was on backorder and that was holding up my entire "free-shipping" order. I canceled the DVD and the rest of the order shipped within hours. Then I went hunting for Crossroads and hit pay-dirt at Buy.com, and at one of the lowest available prices ($19.98), placed the order last night and got shipping notification today. I just checked and they still show some in stock: http://www.buy.com/retail/product.as...709177&loc=107

(no affiliation, just a satisfied return-customer)

Crossroads Guitar Festival 2010 now available

Clapton's latest Crossroads Guitar Festival 2010 has hit the market and it's well worth a listen/look. Good highs along with some bad lows but Best Buy had their special edition version with extra material on-sale in DVD ($17.95 3-disc set) or BD ($21.95 2-disc) in-store only.

Very well-recorded, though better on some tracks than others.

Some lame observations:

Sonny Landreth deserved the opening set.
    I can't seem to get enough of Derek Trucks. This helped.
    Sheryl Crow can't sing or play guitar.
    Gary Clark, Jr. is a man to watch.
    Joe Bonamassa lives up to his well-deserved reputation and I need to get around to buying some of his work.
    Sheryl Crow should go back to teaching school.
    Robert Cray is still great to hear and see.
    B.B. is getting on in age, sadly, but no less-revered, as is his just desert.
    John Mayer and Pino Paladino make some great music together.
    Earl Klugh can still wow an audience.
    Jonny Lang must be doing steroids but it hasn't helped his singing or playing, and I like him. His Live at the Ryman is a fine album.
    Who the heck is this Citizen Cope guy and why should we care? I'm open-minded but . . .
    Susan Tedeschi has some pipes and can actually play guitar when she wants to;
    Sheryl Crow cannot.
    ZZ is still ZZ!!
    Robert Randolph just gets better and better. What a nice guy.
    Bert Jansch! He's still alive??
    Stefan Grossman and Keb' Mo' were a pleasant surprise
    Warren Haynes has my respect. Overlooked him for too long.
    Derek Trucks should have kept his old drummer, Yonrico Scott. Loved his track with Earl Kliugh.
    Jeff Beck should have kept Tal with him but he can still make some noise!
    Sheryl Crow wouldn't make the first cut on American Idol.

The Extras disc in the Best Buy DVD version may not be worth searching for unless you like Sheryl Crow or Citizen Cope. You do get Glad with Clapton and Winwood and another Trucks/Tedeschi piece though, more Gury Clark Jr., and a Clapton interview. I believe the same extras are included on the 2-disc Best Buy Blue Ray version.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Sounds worth a spin...
    ... but what do you think of Sheryl Crow?

Even Lance got fed up with Sheryl, and he's a jerk.

I guess I should have recognized Gary Clark Jr. from the John Sayles film Honeydripper which had its debut right here in my home town with the director present. It was a great film and I'm a real Sales fan. Now I realize just how well-cast it was, too!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Si3_TSw2wQ

http://www.garyclarkjr.com/
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by edgewound View Post
    Jeff Beck's only problem is musical genius. His grasp of rhythm, feel, and harmony and harmonics is way beyond us mere mortals.

I saw him up close and personal at the Universal Amphitheater a few years ago....also saw him at the LA Sports Arena with SRV.

The acoustics at the Sports Arena are as good as any high school gym.

Universal was awesome. The man speaks though his guitar. There is a reason that every modern day guitarist from the last 40 years idolizes him.

Even Jimi Hendrix learned from Beck....and Beck can smoke Clapton and Page on any given day...but Clapton can sing with his voice.
    Edge, you and I got kind of lonely here extolling Jeff Beck's musicality as well as talent. Here is some backup from the Man himself. Not a "trick" in sight that Hendrix himself didn't play, and while not an imitation, as close to the original's feel as I have ever heard. As good as SRV did it. Isle of Wight, June, 2011.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcpiD...eature=related
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

Thread Information