Page 63 of 63 FirstFirst ... 1353616263

Thread: In-depth DVD and movie reviews - the JBL sound!

JBL 4645
    Been watching a few scenes from The Day After Tomorrow (2003) on DVD this afternoon that has quiet moment with deep low end down at 23 to 27Hz that’s only played over left and right fronts and stereo surrounds only. Scene come in at chapter 15.

It’s a kinder musically like sound effect rumble that builds the tension up.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

JBL 4645

Thumbs up Tango & Cash (1989) bluray DOLBY TrueHD 6channel

Blowing a man's head off with a fucking hand grenade is a touch much, don't you think?
    Gabriel Cash

Tango & Cash arrived this morning along with second copy of Space Cowboys and I only ordered two blurau not two copies of Space Cowboys. Space Cowboys arrived early in week Dolby Digital 6channel not that it bothers me that much. I doubt I’d play it at 1080i on projector the colour brightness looks okay on CRT widescreen.

Tango & Cash seems like best movie of the week here. The Dolby film mix is discrete with stereo surrounds and I wasn’t aware it was released in with split-surrounds on 70mm in (1989) unless it flew under the radar or was re-mixed but there are no tail, tail signs of fake stereo surround going on here the mix on surrounds is totally different from the fronts with differences in the Harold Faltermeyer music over LCRS.

Okay lets do it… opening music has kick hard drum beat on left/right with mellow beat on the surrounds dialogue track is clear sounding with rare off-screen dialogue pan that is clearly heard to screen left in the police station.

Surrounds are mostly laid back but they are active most of the screen action sound takes place over the fronts, the helicopter flyby in chapter 1 sounds neat but its subtle smooth effect that doesn’t draw attention as I look upwards with my eyes while still looking forwards.

Sylvester Stallone and Kurt Russell teaming up side by side was nice touch in late 80’s. The film didn’t do well at the box office Budget: $55,000,000 (estimated) the take was only a mere Gross: $63,408,614 (USA) not enough to team up the duo again for sequel like the other buddy, buddy cop flick Lethal Weapon series which did well at the box office.

Jack Palance plays his chactutre kinder like Carl Grissom in Batman of the same year, which took a monster at the box office for Warner Bros.

JBL 4645

Unknown (2011) bluray DVD combo DOLBY DIGITAL 5.1 dts hd ma

If you liked Taken you’ll like this.

Liam Neeson is Dr. Martin Harris who has awakened from a coma after a car accident only to find that someone has taken his identity.

I don’t want to give any plot information away it would spoil the story. It did catch me off guard with surprise and a double surprise and triple surprise.

I only watched with sub bass extension LCRS switched and LFE.1as its late at night. Bass sounded plentiful over LCRS full range I was totally surrounded at times with atmosphere soft and loud sounds all moving around discretely even mild use of dialogue panning smoothly flowed from one channel to the next over LCR.

Picture was nice with natural skin tone colours contrast/brightness was clear even darker lit moments.

Bluray comes with DVD version of the film in DOLBY DIGITAL too bad they could include DOLBY TrueHD with film the dts or let me put this way the film mix 5.1 was quite satisfactory. I might give the DVD a listen sometime over the weekend for some of the action moments.

Thread Information