Page 62 of 63 FirstFirst ... 125260616263 LastLast

Thread: In-depth DVD and movie reviews - the JBL sound!

JBL 4645
    I’m still waiting on 2001: A Space Odyssey to turn up. Latest update was it was posted this week sigh talk about a f%)ucking slow service! I’m not dealing with these Muppets again its been weeks! At most 14 days but over 4 weeks takes the piss.

JBL 4645

Mission Impossible (1996) region2 DVD DOLBY DIGITAL

Good morning, Mr. Phelps.
    Eugene Kittridge

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0117060/

Re-listening to Mission Impossible (1996) tonight wow I forget just how good this sounded in DOLBY DIGITAL 6channel.

Chapter 9 has good style of mixing with Ethan Hunt typing on laptop in one room while Krieger sits in another room behind Ethan watching TV. As the camera pan away from Krieger on left the sound of the TV pans from left to half left then onto centre front while the sound of the typing on laptop pans away from centre channel over to half left then fully hard left. All this action is very subtitle but does call for listening attention least my attention.

Lalo Schifrin opening theme composed by Danny Elfman gives it cracking percussion drum beat with horns blearing away.

I have to get the original shows on DVD they’re so much fun in their day on the TV re-runs.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

JBL 4645

Thumbs up 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968) region1 DVD Dolby Digital 6channel

First edition arrived this morning after a length many weeks. Well worth it still the ultimate trip.

I need only to test it out one scene to see if the wild wide dialogue placement was intact chapter 4 “from the earth to moon” ware the PAN AM stewardess and Floyd are in the routeing “thingy”? Voice is panned left with a half pan on the centre plus all the foggy dialogue solo voice that’s spread across the LCR mono surrounds don’t draw too much attention like the lousy bluray does with stereo surrounds. The LFE.1 on this version seems laidback. Screen bass is plentiful for vintage mix.

Trailers for 2001 and 2010
    Arthur C. Clark interview
    Colour booklet

Overall I’m pleased with packing and film with original sound mix I’m fully satisfied.

JBL 4645
    After re-listening carefully to surrounds which carries stereo its still different to the 2001 edition released later.

JBL 4645

Commando (1985) bluray

Well out of curiosity with the price drop I couldn’t care to buy Avatar special edition and get Commando for free even Avatar was priced at £18.00 and Commando £12.00 at ASDA store.

Wow its uncut to the UK release 1985 that was cut heavily by the BBFC for the DVD release which I still have. This one has the infernos arm chopping with tools shed scene its almost comic laughable as Matrix comes up with a few hand tools saw discs and an axe LOL I think that looked like water coming out the arm! WTF! I can’t see this film as being violent today its almost passable for a 15 rating than 18 certificate.

There is discreteness on mix in this, 5.1 LFE.1 only comes in briefly bass is mostly covered over LCR little use of it in the surrounds. The original mix was DOLBY STEREO but couldn’t care about dts that much which is why I’m not letting it get to me. This will always remain as DOLBY STEREO recoded mix.

Dialogue filters over LCR which seems odd and I have some doubt it’s a real proper discrete 5.1 thou the issue of dialogue being heard in left and right thou faint it is, still leads me to believe one or two things.

Its done in kinder Todd-AO fashion where in the 70mm days dialogue would commonly be heard on the five fronts with odd pan shifts to left and right inner and outer channels. Or the mix was lousily done rushed rather than keeping it isolated 100% the film doesn’t draw on principle characters voices been panned over LCR.

One other thing is the opening score I would have expected different parts to inadvisably placed it sounds like centre phantom is folding onto the centre discrete if it is? Its not really a wow me for the day LCR front mix its okay.

The surrounds have discreteness that is miles apart different from the LCR. The film never had 70mm six-track DOLBY STEREO release only optical 35mm DOLBY STEREO A type.

Let of some steam Bennett. Actually let off more than the UK release and was damn laughable (Vernon Wells) grunts and flinches whole gasping for his last breath with 6 pipe sticking though his body.

Extras are bare bone with trailers in 5.1 that sound loader then the film itself and this too is not uncommon I had to turn the level down by at least -6 to -8db on some trailers.

There is DVD box-set titled directors cut I’d have to hunt around for that one and see if its as good to stand on its own but the 88min version over 85min which is PAL speed-up hmm the bluray should be 90min if adding on 5mins due to PAL speed-up running time on the counter says 01:30:18 I guess some at Fox hasn’t leaned how to count. It’s 90mins running time!

Colour balance appears to the same as the region2 DVD from memory. I haven’t watched it all the way though only looked at few scenes as I’ve watched this film like some many others countless times since 1985 and it gets funnier each time Sully is dropped off the side of cliff. “I lied”. Aahhgghhhhhhh

So far positioning of sound effects is in the correct locations so far.

JBL 4645

On Her Majesty’s Secret Service (1969) region2 DVD DOLBY DIGITAL 6channel

If my demands are not met, I shall proceed with the systematic extinction of whole species of cereals and livestock all over the world.
    Blofeld

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0064757/

I’m quit pleased with this transfer the telecine looks decent enough with good colour balance even on shots that I looked at twice to make sure the odd tail, tail signs of green cyan call what you will, where spot light is put on Bond as he skies down slope out of the clutches of Blofeld and his white cat.

Actually I noticed two cats in the film one was black cat where Tracy is holding her cat walking around in the garden.

The DOLBY DIGITAL 6channel mix is pretty good low end has nice vintage feel to Foley effects and effects like the avalanche sequence which rumbled deeply.

Too bad Telly Savalas didn’t get enough screen time as the menacing Blofeld. I like the way the continuity is kept at the end with Blofeld getting some payback after wearing tree in bobsled accident, which only showed the chactutre from behind in For Your Eyes Only (1981).

It's all right. It's quite all right, really. She's having a rest. We'll be going on soon. There's no hurry, you see. We have all the time in the world.
    James Bond

John Barry’s opening score has good Bond quality musical style

The bell helicopter (Jet ranger 206) sounded good on flybys and inside and on the outside even as it pans across from right to centre as Bond looks around his guest room for cameras and microphones the ranger moves smoothly across the fronts then fades off to right.

Avenger stars Diana Rigg who has already been in The Avengers and appearance of younger Joanna Lumley that will appear in The New Avengers.

JBL 4645
    Commando has some low end on the LFE.1 with 4x4 truck crashing then exploding into fireball that reaches down to 12Hz and below almost touching 5Hz can’t be asked to go though the whole film.

Centre channel has nice Foley body kicks and body impacts as Matrix slams an M-16 around the bad guys heads then kicks them away one by one until he his, eventually pinned down.

I never gave it any thought to looking at the region2 DVD I know it has some low end on not sure how far down or how close the waterfalls will be against this version. I’ll look at the R2 later on. I have LCR only playing in the living room and I can hear deep lows in motel fight scene I can feel the lows on the bedroom door pounding away.

These guys eat too much red meat.

JBL 4645
    The explosion on 4x4 truck is not as low but still low enough for the room to rumble and vibrate. The Foley body impacts and kicks seem to be the same or have the same tone differences like PAL speed up will pitch the sound up a few cycles where the bluray will be the same as the cinema version.

I did two tests with DOLBY STEREO 4.2.4 sub bass extension switched ON one test at 0db and the other at +13db.

JBL 4645

Thumbs down WATERWOROLD (1995) dts hd master (5.0) not 5.1

Brought Waterworld (1995) today along with THE TOWN (2010) “buy one get one free” from HMV.

Universal Pictures really staggers me with their false advertising! They clam Waterworld (1995) on DVD is DOLBY DIGITAL 5.1 when in fact it indicates DOLBY 5.0 on the AVR.

They clam the perfect so called format called bluray is dts hd master audio 5.1 when in FACT its 5.0!

Well no real huge loss and thanks for the falsely advertising its 5.1. They really need to hire ex-projectionists or someone to evaluate final transfer before it even goes though to mass-production of what appears to be the same transfer. I doubt its really a true 1080p just a crab it off the master tape shelf and give it a quick cheap going over to grab paying consumers money.

SHAME ON YOU UNIVERSAL PICTUERS!

Best way to run the film is divert the lows from LCRS to the subs below 80Hz or lower.

I seriously doubt the NTSC THX dts laserdisc is 5.1 once bitten twice shy. Screw you Universal lean to do basic mathematics! You ether clearly label it as 5.0 or make it clear that the film was mixed this way without an LFE.1 channel or let the re-recoding mixers say which way it mixed? SIGH

Picture I can’t be asked to play the film in 1080i on LCD projector the colour balance looks the same as early DVD and the (matrix) THX laserdisc that I once owned years ago.

I think the whole HD is sheer waste of time with only a few decent transfers. The eye is more than perfect than any HD bluray will ever be! Id sooner have 35mm with grain, grain, grain and none of this crap DNR dynamic noise reduction and EE edge enhancement.

I don’t believe in “you get what you pay for” when crocked bent robbers like Universal aren’t being fully honest with paying consumers.

Never run the AVR with loudspeakers set to small ether get extra crossovers amps and set the speakers at low level with bass trimmed off a bit otherwise you wouldn’t be able to tell if the film has LFE.1 or as and when it cuts it which should be smooth and seamless by the way.

At least there is still a theatrical trailer that’s almost better than bluray (no point of fact it was crap)! I prefer the trailer on DVD the old spice theme DUH DUH DUH DUH! BOOM, BOOM!DUH DUH DUH DUH! Carmina Burana.

JBL 4645
    Basic Instinct (1992) PAL laserdisc there is a slight difference in DOLBY STEREO mix over the (DVD where there’s an extra music cue placed in scene where the theatrical version only carries effects and dialogue).

The PCM packs a punch when Nick shoots Beth in the hallway, that makes even makes me flinch as the sub bass extension slams into me then as Beth is jolted back onto floor with heavy body fall thud!

Surrounds have very little panning effects it’s mostly focused over the LCR.

JBL 4645
    Poltergeist II the other side (1986) I don’t have this on DVD only laserdisc which still looks brilliant for picture and DOLBY STEREO mix. Laserdisc is NTSC sound is digital PCM with plenty of spooky bumps thumping the Freeling’s as they battle the evil spirit Kane who wants the Carol Anne back!

Nice matrix surround where the mother and child crossover into the other side in cave. Voices pan across the fronts and appear to circle around.

Sub bass extension has a few Jerry Goldsmith heavy moments when Tangina knocks on the door, the score has deep tympani that slowly builds up and up.

JBL 4645
    STAR TREK II the Wrath of Khan (1982) NTSC PCM DOLBY STEREO opening as nice 40Hz weighted musical low that gradually builds up. This version as a slight edge over the bluray by several +db in frequency response where I played the same scene over and over at least 10 or more times on each version and the laserdisc just left the blurau standing at the bottom. Its okay its just not the total original 100% DOLBY mix on the bluray more like 97%.

Matrix surrounds work nicely as Kirk yells out Khann! Khann! Khann, as the voice pans from fronts to surrounds then fades out.

JBL 4645
    I’m watching and listening to Jarre In China (2005) at present which has nice use of musical individualism over LCR and stereo surrounds and LFE.1 for room vibration.

JBL 4645
    I just brought SPACE COWBOYS (2000) for its trueness of the six-track DOLBY STEREO DIGITAL TrueHD because it sounds good. I have the region2 DVD so the biggest plus will be the non-PAL speed-up also I like Space Shuttle launch moment that is bit brief and they could have made the scene last 9 or so minutes.

The centrifuge trainer scene now that has some nice low end over LCRS and LFE.1

It should turn up over the weekend.

JBL 4645
    I just brought Tango & Cash (1989) that was mixed and released in70mm six-track DOLBY STEREO SR the 35mm prints where SR and sounded brilliant when it played at UCI tower park where I projected it a few times. The opening is cool bass to sub bass moment

Okay let’s do it.

The six-track DOLBY STEREO DIGITAL TrueHD should let the film shine I like humour as well as the action moments and the hand grenade stuffed in the late pony tail (Brion James) mouth, now that is funny scene.

Blowing a man's head off with a fu&king hand grenade is a touch much, don't you think?

It should turn up over the weekend.

Thread Information