Page 56 of 63 FirstFirst ... 6465455565758 ... LastLast

Thread: In-depth DVD and movie reviews - the JBL sound!

JBL 4645
    While copies of the original Tron have mysteriously gone missing, Disney has been hard at work on a new Blu-ray for the film. When Steve spoke with Tron director Steven Lisberger back in October, Lisberger said he had spent six weeks remastering the original Tron for its Blu-ray release. Lisberger says that the remastering mostly involved tweaking the color balance so that it approaches his original intent. The HDRoom now has a first look at the cover art for the upcoming Blu-ray and it looks like it will be a Blu-ray/DVD combo pack. Also, the title on the front is "Tron: The Original Classic", which just sounds redundant. Also, would that make Tron: Legacy the unoriginal inferior? They've also limited the colors on the cover to black and blue, probably so it falls more in line with the aesthetic of Tron: Legacy. Hit the jump to check out the cover art.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0513974/news

Oh no! Tweaking the colour balance! Now all I can see now is blue with white backgrounds with green all around it! SIGH rather than blue and white in some of brighter scenes.

I think I’ll look at the DVD beaver once the films released because the beaver saves me money. If the screen captures look like total bluray crap, I won’t touch it with 100 foot barge pole!

I hope the original Dolby film mix isn’t f$%%^ed up! I don’t give a toss about the dts now nothings going to change. I just hope the surrounds haven’t been turned to total crap with centre phantom front folded onto the centre.

JBL 4645
    The prices have been released now for the various box sets.
    £12.99
    £15.99
    £17.99
    £69.99

I think the MCP is asking far too much for the large box-set edition of £69.99 the MCP can keep it! I’ll buy the cheaper set. £17.99

I’m guessing the box set lights up with a few AA batteries, I wonder if the batteries are included?

Release date April 18th 2011
    Attached Images Attached Images  

JBL 4645

Thumbs up SPACE 1999 season 1 region B / FutureWorld region2 DVD

Engle 5 has landed with late devilry? Usually the post is early mornings but the schedule has changed.

I knew the devilry was for me once I heard the door buzzer. I saw two packages the postman was carrying.

So Space 1999 for today and FutureWorld for tonight thou I doubt I’d get though all 24 of “This Episodes” today.

I’ll moderate the viewing with a few of “This Episode” and then get on with FutureWorld.

JBL 4645

SPACE 1999 season 1 region B

The picture is robustly sharp for “This Episode” vintage show wow.

The dtshd master audio 5.1 6channel can be a bit bright on a few scenes in the upper high range, might need a bit of re-eq for “This Episode”. Centre channel seems to be forward most of the time and any sound effects on left/right front might be masked by the fronts left/right. Remember the show wasn’t recoded in 6channel it, was mixed in mono.

The stereo surrounds have occasionally annoying front mix blended onto them, least for “This Episode” “Breakaway”.

The LFE shows the opening titles which does sound cool in 6channel over a small 3” mono speaker with limited frequency response during the early-mid 70’s that much is certain.

The show is presented in 4:3 so it will appear as small screen image on widescreen TV. I used the zoom in on the Phillips BDP5000 to expand the size till it fit Panasonic.

Also the audio does have some vintage “hiss” yes “hiss” its not that upper tone hiss its bit lower but hiss never the less! Maybe x3 Dolby 363 modules will clean up the hiss!

I find some of the sound effects in space a bit laughable, sound in space is inconceivable it does not compute, but it does make the show entertaining.

JBL 4645
    Chapter 8 going into chapter 9

The moon breaking away goes down fairly low just past 10Hz and into 8Hz “Brown Zone” quadrant ! Its mostly peaking around the 40Hz 60Hz range. The rumble effects come in when shorts cut to interior of Moon Base Alpha.

JBL 4645
    Listening to the opening titles and the moon breaking-away from the Earth the low end rumble is okay its not real G-force, but it feels good.

‘September 13. 1999.’ ‘Meta signals increasing.’ ‘Yes maybe there.’

JBL 4645

After “This Episode” Breakaway where the moon was used as nuclear waste dump for some dodgy stuff that turned into some strange radioactive magnetic stuff that caused brain dead issues and people cracking up?

Listening to “This Episode” opening Black Sun” Space 1999 dtshd master audio 6channel. Previous “This Episode” “Matter of life and death” was planet of anti-matter where the people of moon base Alpha can’t survive.

Music audio track on all other “This Episodes” except for Breakaway.

JBL 4645

Listening to “This Episode” opening “Ring Around The Moon” Space 1999 dtshd master audio 6channel. The mix gets more interesting as each “This Episode” goes along.

The lows get better as well the Eagles now have some low end and the music in “This Episode” is groovy.

JBL 4645

A rather funky Christopher Lee leads a group that was heading towards Earth when their spaceship crashes on the moon.

The visual effects by Nick Allder, Brian Johnson and co are terrific, way ahead of its time, even the sets are cool.

JBL 4645

Commisioner Simmons wanted off moon base Alpha and got his, wish after all he did get them in the situation with all that dodgy nuclear waste dumping on the moon.

Well that’s that for the first disc for tonight, time to go to the FutureWorld now.

JBL 4645
    I’m not into watching anything SPACE 1999 tonight from “This Episode” thought I’d give my ears a break after last night ear bending JBL Just Bends My Ears Loudly!

Space 1999 had Chrisopher Lee and Peter Cushing as guest stars. These two also appeared in the Star Wars movies and in the classic horror movies way back when. I enjoyed it as a kid.

Allan.

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by Allanvh5150 View Post
    Space 1999 had Chrisopher Lee and Peter Cushing as guest stars. These two also appeared in the Star Wars movies and in the classic horror movies way back when. I enjoyed it as a kid.

Allan.
    Al
    I didn’t know you were into SPACE 1999.

I might watch another This Episode of disc 2 later in the day.

I’m not sure which “This Episode” Peter Cushing is in? This show happened just a short while before STAR WARS went into hyperspace.

I do like Breakaway I wonder how one goes about creating the enormous G-force of the moon being blasted out of Earth’s orbit in living room without cursing serious repercussions.

JBL 4645
    Watching “This Episode” now

JBL 4645

The noise on these bluray is just dreadful all during chapter 8, 9, 10 the surrounds was hissy like with analogue audio tape medium noise!

I need a few Dolby 363 because dtshd master audio is lousy and noisy on this, bluray. Well maybe someday I’ll buy some.

Thread Information