Page 55 of 63 FirstFirst ... 5455354555657 ... LastLast

Thread: In-depth DVD and movie reviews - the JBL sound!

JBL 4645

Thumbs up The Final Countdown (1980) regionFree bluray

The day after The Final Countdown came though the time portal on December 26th I ordered the regionFree bluray after see the DNR and EE free screen captures as this is, how films should appear free of DNR and EE that simply ruins the films grain texture as well as adding artefacts of EE is an eyesore!

So today early morning The Final Countdown arrives just 2 hours behind the Phillips BDP7300 bluray player replacement.

The story starts of with a bit of mystery as mysterious man know to world but keeps his identity hiding till the end and works out very well.

The image is about the same as the DVD as its sourced from the same print looks just as remarkable and will give it short viewing later on tonight in 1080i.

D-Box is motion device kinder like a vibrator I guess? It generates motion vibrations to different corners of the four legs on sofa or cinema seat?

It’s a bit costly and giving there are few titles on DVD and bluray that have this encoded onto the disc might seem a bi of waste of money unless the price was around a few $£hundred.

Sound
    Dolby Stereo digital 6channel-EX
    dtshdma 8channel
    Dolby Stereo Digital TrueHD 8channel
    Audio commentary

The Sony BDP-S550 doesn’t seem to indicate 7.1 on the dtshdma just (3 / 2.1 48KHz) so someone must have mistyped the text for the artwork back cove.

Dolby Stereo digital TrueHD 7.1 is outputted but after close listening to the four-channel surrounds it appears the two back surrounds are mono not stereo discrete unlike other Dolby 7.1 mixes that I’ve listened to on Star Trek originals where the four-channel surrounds are both stereo.

The sidewall surrounds on The Final Countdown are in stereo, so technical this would be Dolby 6.1, 3 /3.1 48 KHz.

A few more extras are thrown in only watched one of them so far. “The Jolly Rogers” F-14 flight squadron that participated in the filming and helped make the flying sequences look creditable as well as giving a boast to Navy publicity, kinder like what Top Gun did in (1986).
    Attached Images Attached Images    

JBL 4645
    The Final Countdown looked okay even on two year old bed sheet with cresses can’t beat a good bed sheet even thou it was suppose to be temporally.

The sound of the aircraft carriers low end fits bed sheet image nicely

JBL 4645

Robin Hood (2010) bluray

Robin Hood (2010) was going cheap at ASDA I guess this is to try and make up for the loss at the box office with cheaper sales?

It’s the no doubt the same ole story Sheriff of Nottingham taking from the poor and Robin Hood taking from the rich and giving to the poor. It better not suck!

If it does suck I’d watch Weekend and Bernies (1989) for dead laughs.

Well since I didn’t go the EMPIRE to see it I’d watch the theatrical version the directors-cut can wait till late providing the film doesn’t suck off course.

I’m not going to bother with HD 1080i it can play as 560 on the CRT first to see weather its worthy of 1080i.

I’ll format the surrounds from regular to Dolby centre back matrix with overheard surround for this one.

Not sure how much low end content is on the film so I’ll play it calmly as it goes along if it needs less sub bass extension and LFE..1 I’d give it less if sounds too bright in the midrange I’d adjust the secondary EQ for LCR.

Okay on with the flick!

JBL 4645
    After watching the first half 1hr 11min and some seconds I felt like Robin Hood had been buggering me in Sherwood Forest with several arrows up my !!

The dialogue mix is bit distant during the (opening battle scene) nothing wrong with the EQ / JBL it’s the dialogue mix! It does get better as the film goes along.

The sound effects are okay with dogs barking that remind me of The X-Files I want to Believe (2008) “I can’t tell I hear dogs barking” that paned around on the surrounds to fronts at the start of the film.

Arrows fly though the air I mean between the loudspeakers LCR and over to sidewall surrounds’ which made duck!

There was neat moment when Robin Hood fires an arrow at bad guy that WOOHSHED up from centre back, sounding like a jet engine/leaf-blower!

The LFE.1 I’m not so sure about the moment it seems like Gladiator (2000) LFE.1 syndrome as it really lacked LFE.1 in that film mix. Most of the low end is covered by the LCRS on the sub bass extension subs.

I’d have to run the film though spectrumlab later on with an LCRS/LFE.1 comparison to see which channel as the most strength but it does seem a lot like the Gladiator (2000) Dolby mix. Maybe Ridley Scott wants less LFE.1 and (f&cking lots of Irene.1) in Black Hawk Down (2001)?

Anyway back on with the next half now!

JBL 4645

Thumbs up Robin Hood (2010) bluray

I was very cranky this afternoon to view this film, running around shopping is exhausting.

I’ll give Robin Hood 7 out of 10.

Colour balance looked natural thou some scenes where purposely muted to give the impression the weather has some dark overcast clouds, I just don’t see that even in real life there is always a good level of light, still it was nicely photographed.

It seemed like Gladiator at times with slow-motion and some over-cranking of the camera in the battle scenes. I guess that’s the style of filmmaking today.

The beach battle towards the end with the French trying to sneak onto British sores got the point with thousand arrows bearing down on them that had me fletching as they fan out over the LCR then around all the surrounds with careful balanced individualism in the film mix.

I was looking at the indicator on Behringer FBQ2496 for signs of high LFE.1 but it was mostly sub bass extension registering.

German composer Marc Streitenfeld sounded okay I think it’s the first time I heard his style of music composing.
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0834199/ although he is, credited on several other films that I’ve seen as (music editor).

Listening to the bluray menu (over and over) with theme playing which has been bugging me. It sounds like Black Hawk Down or other?

Ridley Scott is still a remarkable director/filmmaker it’s too bad the film got a raw deal at the box-office.

Possible Academy Award, nomination for best sound or sound effects editing?

I could give this another viewing in 1080i on the projector at some later time.

So that’s it I’d give it 7out of 10.

The extras disc which is only DVD

Making of pre-production though production and post production was insightful

Marketing
    Trailers

Deleted scenes that never made it into the film

JBL 4645
    The tree ramming the castle at on chapter 3 (00:20:07) had grater slam over the LCR sub bass extension. I only took a waterfall of the centre channel and LFE.1 which would be overwhelmed by the centre or LCR combined as LFE.1 has narrow range of extra slam depth that shouldn’t be played higher than then LCR as that is how it was mixed or then again it could be raised providing there isn’t a level that would sneak in and go way, way above the subs capability which would result in damage.

I don’t care for anything below 20Hz as it would not heard only felt. All films are mixed differently at the end of the day at least it didn’t have silly LFE.1 like in Transformers (2007) that was just too damn loud at times, still great listening fun.

I'm not going to waterfall the entire film its obvious its got a mix down to 20Hz which is good enough.

JBL 4645

Tron double box set bluray

Box set includes theatrical releases of original 1982 and 2010 version. Its unconfirmed if the original will be remixed or retain its original theatrical mix 6channel. There’s no doubt Tron Legacy will be released in dts 7.1 the film exhibited in Dolby Digital 7.1.

Release date is roamed for April in time for Easter.

http://www.play.com/Search.html?sear...searchsource=0

I’m not interested in the 3D version for splitting after effect headaches as the blue filter does my left eye in! The red filter is not so bad on the right eye. I noticed looking in box yesterday the blue has different colour tint over the older Red and Blue maybe the blue filter is not as bad?

I know the older blue was fairly dark and gave my left eye or any eye looking though for no more than a few seconds a mild headache and eyestrain.

JBL 4645
    I’m thinking of doing a day if, not a few days listening to some Ridley Scott films on DVD/bluary to see which one sounds the best for...

Best front stage three-screen
    Best front to back stage imaging
    Best LFE.1
    Best overall surrounds mono and stereo surrounds

The list of titles I presently have are

Alien (1979) 117mins DVD region1
    Blade Runner (1982) 117mins DVD region2
    Black Rain (1989) 125mins bluray regionB
    Thelma & Louise (1992) 130mins DVD region2
    Gladiator (2000) 155mins DVD region2
    Black Hawk Down (2001) 144mins DVD region2
    Kingdom of Heaven (2005) 144mins DVD region2
    Robin Hood (2010) 140mins bluray regionB

JBL 4645

Sooty watching Psycho 98’

Not much to say expect Sooty was watching Psycho 98’ (1998) remake of the classic physiological thriller about a motel owner who dresses up as his mother and hangs around in shower rooms hacking up his guests with bread knife, it was mostly (shot for shot) like the original well most of it was shot for shot, a few new extra angles was included.

JBL 4645

FutureWorld (1976) DVD region2

Brought FutureWorld (1976) sequel to its predecessor WestWorld (1973) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070909/ where robots are programmed to interact with humans fantasies in RomanWorld MedievalWorld and WestWorld, that goes disastrously wrong when the robots turn on their guests and employees.

FutureWorld (1976) picks up after three two news reports have been welcomed to have visit facility to see for themselves the new improvements that have been made. When reporter Chuck Browning (Peter Fonda) gets a call from an ex-employee that all is not what it seems to be and later turns up dead, Chuck and Tracy Ballard (Blythe Danner) go snooping around the facility and uncover conspiracy that robots duplicates of themselves have been made to replace them as well as, all humans.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0074559/

Guest appearance by (Yul Brynner) who turns up for short while, why? I don’t know?

Fred Karlin also scores again.

Well the DVD should turn up tomorrow or sometime late in the week.

I couldn’t find region1 DVD on play.com maybe I should have tried flabay instead.

JBL 4645

Thumbs up BACKDRAFT (1991) bluray

Picked up a classic 90’s flick a few days ago, Backdraft (1991)

Theatrical sound release Dolby Stereo A type and 70mm 6track Dolby Stereo with stereo surrounds is the same as the first edition DVD. The version here is from the special edition DVD released back in (2006) as had some slighty picture rebalancing its sharp bright and colourfully detailed on bed sheet at 1080i.

There’s plenty of vintage low end to heat up the JBL loudspeakers for over 2hours listening fun, lows impacted on the body with rumbles and vibrations during some of the fire scenes and explosions.

Skywalker sound has used dialogue panning throughout most of the film thou, not as much as Terminator 2 (1991) or Indiana Jones the Last Crusade (1989).

Stereo surrounds haven’t been mucked around with unlike some Dolby stereo films that I have on bluray that have! The sound effects are in stereo while the Hans Zimmer score on the surrounds is in mono and only plays as stereo across the LCR

I’ve had the first edition DVD for several years and I have no intention of selling.

There are plenty of extras

Deleted Scenes
    Igniting the Story
    Bringing together the team
    The Explosive stunts
    Creating the villain: The Fire
    Real-Life firemen, Real-life Stories

A theatrical trailer and running audio commentary would have been nice

JBL 4645
    I noticed a picture issue that came after the introduction with Ron Howard the screen goes to tiny image in the top left corner? To resolve the issue just go back to main menu and select 1st scene and press play (or skip the play button at the start up menu and select 1st scene).

JBL 4645
    LCD video projector at 1080i

JBL 4645
    Re-listening to the Ridley Scott films is going a bit slow at the moment.

JBL 4645

Thumbs up SPACE 1999 season 1 region B

Brought a classic sci-fi TV show a few days SPACE 1999 and Eagle5 should be delivering the bluray sometime early next week.

I guess the beavers’ screen captures will be close to the regionB which has the same extras, extras.
    http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film3/blu-r...ne_blu-ray.htm

Thread Information