Page 52 of 63 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast

Thread: In-depth DVD and movie reviews - the JBL sound!

JBL 4645
    Star Trek THX audio limiter OFF and ON

I can maximize the softer scenes while a leash holds onto the aggressive “boom channel” LFE.1 moments that would otherwise damage subs totally at these levels without THX audio limiter being turned ON.

The DCX2496 dynamic EQ on channels ABC LCR tames the overall splitting headache with -15db 12db octave LP stretched from 20Hz to 12 KHz threshold level -39.0db keeps the softer scenes clear and loud ear blistering moments tamed. The amp levels are set accordantly, with dynamicEQ turned OFF it would be uncomfortable to listen too!

Since the surrounds doesn’t have DCX2496 at present I have to manually adjust the secondary EQ to reduce the high peak levels in the mid to high range to give a smooth panning response while keep the surrounds warm on the bass mid.

DOLBY TRUE is bitching wicked on this film.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

JBL 4645
    I have to say many months on now STAR TREK 2009 is by far the number#1 bluray with spot on colour balance brightness and contrast levels and with DOLBY 6track TRUE DIGITAL which makes it the JBL experience! over Avatar (2009) which has some THX colour balance issues that I spotted plus the dtsHDMA doesn’t help since I have banned the film in this JBL home cinema only the region2DVD DOLBY DIGITAL is allowed!

Avatar only had one day viewing and it wasn’t even worthy of the LCD video projector at 1080i it got viewed on regular CRT widescreen!

Sooty no longer approves of AVATAR

JBL 4645
    Sliver (1993) is an okay film with mystery and some sexual hot sex scenes and owner of the building who as taste for voyeurism peeking on the tenants’ privacy Zake (William Baldwin) has interests in new tenant Carly (Sharon Stone) who has just moved in slowly seduces her into steamy sex.

JBL 4645
    Sliver

JBL 4645
    Sliver

The surrounds use as sweeps around when Zake isn’t having sex with Carly voices from all the apartments surround. The UB40 track I can't help falling in love is heard as background music and then heard on the end credits sounds neat.

JBL 4645
    Sliver waterfalls

JBL 4645

I’ve just pre-BANNED the following new titles on bluray in this JBL home cinema because its dtsHDMA!

JBL 4645

Into The Night (1985) region1DVD arrived this morning. Its not a bad transfer colour looks fine, brightness needed tiny increase along with contrast. Mono soundtrack can sound a bit odd on some dialogue passages where its ether been ADR it has this gasp like sound? The background atmosphere effects like ambiance plays fine chapter 11 where Ed meets (David Bowie) just listen!

I’ve watched this many times before on VHS PAL. When two strangers stumble into international intrigue in the middle of a Los Angels airport at night, anything can happen.

The cast is superb with famous directors making cameo appearances (David Cronenberg) (Jim Henson) and films directed (John Landis).

Ed (Jeff Goldblum) is insomniac his wife is having an affair with a co-worker real estate salesmen.

Diana (Michelle Pfeiffer) has just smuggled some rare emeralds and the Iranians want them and a France man also wants them!

Ed and Diana are being chased all over L.A. into the late hours.

Music by Ira Newborn and B.B King take you into the night its got scares laughs and action.

Some slight confusion regarding the soundtrack the imdb states it being (stereo) several other sites clam its Dolby5.1. It is in fact (monaural).
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089346/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Into_the_Night_(film)

JBL 4645

Thumbs down Alien Anthology bluray Fox you can keep it!

New on the upcoming Alien Anthology (UK BD) in October 2010

Not in the least bit interested. Its obvious that most studios have signed some agreement to use dts-HDMA on all its old and new title releases.

Wow it’s a good thing I didn’t buy a new AVR otherwise DOLBY TRUE-HD will be just one lethargic sound format that DOLBY doesn’t care about seeing their sound format product on the bluray.

I don’t see any screen credit on the Alien films that states dts in all four films, even thou Alien Resurrection 1997 was released in DOLBY SR-D and dts which I heard at the UCI 12 screen Lee Valley and the dts sounded rubbish in fact the whole cinema sounded rubbish! It was overly too bright with hardly any stage front or surround bass weight and sub bass sounded like crappy Samsung flat screen TV set of today!

While it might have these features It took me a few moments to suss out the sly scam with this.

Fox Home Entertainment have announced the UK Blu-ray Disc release of Alien Anthology on 25th October 2010. From the press release…

All four ALIEN films have been reinvigorated for an intense Blu-ray high-definition viewing experience. The release also marks the debut of MU-TH-UR Mode, a fully interactive companion that takes the extensive materials in the ALIEN ANTHOLOGY and puts them in the user's hand - connecting fans to special features on all six discs and instantly providing an index of all available ALIEN content, including over 60 hours of special features and over 12,000 images. ALIEN ANTHOLOGY will also be available in a Limited Edition Collector's Set featuring 'The Guardian' - an exclusive illuminated egg statue sculpted by Sideshow Collectibles®.

The ALIEN ANTHOLOGY is a truly unique home entertainment experience. For the first time ever, the studio has united the material from every home video release of the ALIEN saga including the 1991/1992 laserdisc releases, the 1999 "Legacy" release and 2003's groundbreaking ALIEN QUADRILOGY release into one complete Blu-ray collection. The set also includes two versions of each film and over four hours of previously unreleased exclusive material such as original screen tests of Sigourney Weaver prior to filming the original ALIEN, unseen deleted scenes, thousands of still photographs from the Fox archives, the previously unseen original cut of "Wreckage and Rage: The Making of ALIEN3," and much, much more.

The ALIEN ANTHOLOGY is just one aspect of Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment's yearlong campaign to honor the studio's 75th birthday. This year the division will debut several select fan-favorites on Blu-ray for the first time ever including The Rocky Horror Picture Show, William Shakespeare's Romeo + Juliet, Moulin Rouge! and The Sound of Music.

DISC ONE: ALIEN
    1979 Theatrical Version
    2003 Director's Cut with Ridley Scott Introduction
    Audio Commentary by Director Ridley Scott, Writer Dan O'Bannon, Executive Producer Ronald Shusett, Editor Terry Rawlings, Actors Sigourney Weaver, Tom Skerritt, Veronica Cartwright, Harry Dean Stanton and John Hurt
    Audio Commentary (for Theatrical Cut only) by Ridley Scott
    Final Theatrical Isolated Score by Jerry Goldsmith
    Composer's Original Isolated Score by Jerry Goldsmith
    Deleted and Extended Scenes
    MU-TH-UR Mode Interactive Experience with Weyland-Yutani Datastream

DISC TWO: ALIENS
    1986 Theatrical Version
    1991 Special Edition with James Cameron Introduction
    Audio Commentary by Director James Cameron, Producer Gale Anne Hurd, Alien Effects Creator Stan Winston, Visual Effects Supervisors Robert Skotak and Dennis Skotak, Miniature Effects Supervisor Pat McClung, Actors Michael Biehn, Bill Paxton, Lance Henriksen, Jenette Goldstein, Carrie Henn and Christopher Henn
    Final Theatrical Isolated Score by James Horner
    Composer's Original Isolated Score by James Horner

DISC THREE: ALIEN3
    1992 Theatrical Version
    2003 Special Edition (Restored Workprint Version)
    Audio Commentary by Cinematographer Alex Thomson, B.S.C., Editor Terry Rawlings, Alien Effects Designers Alec Gillis and Tom Woodruff, Jr., Visual Effects Producer Richard Edlund, A.S.C., Actors Paul McGann and Lance Henriksen
    Final Theatrical Isolated Score by Elliot Goldenthal

DISC FOUR: ALIEN RESURRECTION
    1997 Theatrical Version
    2003 Special Edition with Jean-Pierre Jeunet Introduction
    Audio Commentary by Director Jean-Pierre Jeunet, Editor Hervé Schneid, A.C.E., Alien Effects Creators Alec Gillis and Tom Woodruff, Jr., Visual Effects Supervisor Pitof, Conceptual Artist Sylvain Despretz, Actors Ron Perlman, Dominique Pinon and Leland Orser
    Final Theatrical Isolated Score by John Frizzell

DISC FIVE: MAKING THE ANTHOLOGY
    In addition to over 12 hours of candid, in-depth documentaries, you now have the ability to go even deeper into Alien Anthology history with nearly five hours of additional video Enhancement Pods created exclusively for this collection, presenting behind-the-scenes footage, raw dailies and interview outtakes from all four films. At topical points in the documentaries, you may access these pods to enhance your experience, or watch them on their own from the separate Enhancement Pod index.

The Beast Within: Making ALIEN
    The Visualists: Direction and Design
    Truckers in Space: Casting
    Fear of the Unknown: Shepperton Studios, 1978
    The Darkest Reaches: Nostromo and Alien Planet
    The Eighth Passenger: Creature Design
    Future Tense: Editing and Music
    Outward Bound: Visual Effects
    A Nightmare Fulfilled: Reaction to the Film
    Enhancement Pods

Superior Firepower: Making ALIENS
    57 Years Later: Continuing the Story
    Building Better Worlds: From Concept to Construction
    Preparing for Battle: Casting and Characterization
    This Time It's War: Pinewood Studios, 1985
    The Risk Always Lives: Weapons and Action
    Bug Hunt: Creature Design
    Beauty and the Bitch: Power Loader vs. Queen Alien
    Two Orphans: Sigourney Weaver and Carrie Henn
    The Final Countdown: Music, Editing and Sound
    The Power of Real Tech: Visual Effects
    Aliens Unleashed: Reaction to the Film
    Enhancement Pods

Wreckage and Rage: Making ALIEN3
    Development Hell: Concluding the Story
    Tales of the Wooden Planet: Vincent Ward's Vision
    Stasis Interrupted: David Fincher's Vision
    Xeno-Erotic: H.R. Giger's Redesign
    The Color of Blood: Pinewood Studios, 1991
    Adaptive Organism: Creature Design
    The Downward Spiral: Creative Differences
    Where the Sun Burns Cold: Fox Studios, L.A. 1992
    Optical Fury: Visual Effects
    Requiem for a Scream: Music, Editing and Sound
    Post-Mortem: Reaction to the Film
    Enhancement Pods

One Step Beyond: Making ALIEN RESURRECTION
    From the Ashes: Reviving the Story
    French Twist: Direction and Design
    Under the Skin: Casting and Characterization
    Death from Below: Fox Studios, Los Angeles, 1996
    In the Zone: The Basketball Scene
    Unnatural Mutation: Creature Design
    Genetic Composition: Music
    Virtual Aliens: Computer Generated Imagery
    A Matter of Scale: Miniature Photography
    Critical Juncture: Reaction to the Film
    Enhancement Pods
    MU-TH-UR Mode Interactive Experience to Access and Control Enhancement Pods

DISC SIX: THE ANTHOLOGY ARCHIVES

ALIEN
    Pre-Production
    First Draft Screenplay by Dan O'Bannon
    Ridleygrams: Original Thumbnails and Notes
    Storyboard Archive
    The Art of Alien: Conceptual Art Portfolio
    Sigourney Weaver Screen Tests with Select Director Commentary
    Cast Portrait Gallery
    Production
    The Chestbuster: Multi-Angle Sequence with Commentary
    Video Graphics Gallery
    Production Image Galleries
    Continuity Polaroids
    The Sets of Alien
    H.R. Giger's Workshop Gallery
    Post-Production and Aftermath
    Additional Deleted Scenes
    Image & Poster Galleries
    Experience in Terror
    Special Collector's Edition LaserDisc Archive
    The Alien Legacy
    American Cinematheque: Ridley Scott Q&A
    Trailers & TV Spots

ALIENS
    Pre-Production
    Original Treatment by James Cameron
    Pre-Visualizations: Multi-Angle Videomatics with Commentary
    Storyboard Archive
    The Art of Aliens: Image Galleries
    Cast Portrait Gallery
    Production
    Continuity Polaroids
    Weapons and Vehicles
    Stan Winston's Workshop
    Colonial Marine Helmet Cameras
    Video Graphics Gallery
    Weyland-Yutani Inquest: Nostromo Dossiers
    Deleted Scene: Burke Cocooned
    Deleted Scene Montage
    Image Galleries
    Special Collector's Edition LaserDisc Archive
    Main Title Exploration
    Aliens: Ride at the Speed of Fright
    Trailers & TV Spots

ALIEN3
    Pre-Production
    Storyboard Archive
    The Art of Arceon
    The Art of Fiorina
    Production
    Furnace Construction: Time-Lapse Sequence
    EEV Bioscan: Multi-Angle Vignette with Commentary
    A.D.I.'s Workshop
    Visual Effects Gallery
    Special Shoot: Promotional Photo Archive
    Alien3 Advance Featurette
    The Making of Alien3 Promotional Featurette
    Trailers & TV Spots

ALIEN RESURRECTION
    Pre-Production
    First Draft Screenplay by Joss Whedon
    Test Footage: A.D.I. Creature Shop with Commentary
    Test Footage: Costumes, Hair and Makeup
    Pre-Visualizations: Multi-Angle Rehearsals
    Storyboard Archive
    The Marc Caro Portfolio: Character Designs
    The Art of Resurrection: Image Galleries
    Production
    A.D.I.'s Workshop
    Visual Effects Gallery
    Special Shoot: Promotional Photo Archive
    HBO First Look: The Making of Alien Resurrection
    Alien Resurrection Promotional Featurette
    Trailers & TV Spots

ALIEN ANTHOLOGY
    Two Versions of Alien Evolution
    The Alien Saga
    Patches and Logos Gallery
    Aliens 3D Attraction Scripts and Gallery
    Aliens in the Basement: The Bob Burns Collection
    Parodies
    Dark Horse Cover Gallery
    Patches and Logos Gallery
    MU-TH-UR Mode Interactive Experience

I know for one fact Alien 1979 will be the same version as produced for the last box set edition that I have, with the same sly rubbish centre phantom being mixed onto the centre discrete channel.

The audio commentary tracks are the same and too bad they didn’t include the first edition audio commentary with Ridley Scott.

The rest of the isolated scores on Aliens Alien 3 and Alien 4 are tempting but no, not when the bluray is forcing dts-HDMA on me a sound format that I don’t care to use!

Alien isolated score is the same as the first edition DVD so some slight confusion here or just some slight sly hand tricky at jumbling the extra features up alongside Alien 1979.

20th century Fox you can keep it!

JBL 4645
    “Days of Thunder” (1990) region2 DVD

JBL 4645
    “Independence Day” 1996 bluray brought last year before I finally got pissed off about the use of dtsHDMA

JBL 4645
    "Titanic" (1997) region2 DVD first edition

JBL 4645
    Found this compression of Rogers & Hammerstein South Pacific

I have the 1999 version that I brought around 2000 sometime.

1:39 oh my god seeing it going though the colour filter change is like a bad acid trip! Total yuck for the lower right image all the detail as been muted and its hard to see its like warring one of those dodgy 3D glasses with red and blue filters.

JBL 4645
    Fiddler on the Roof

I’ve only seen it on panned and scanned PAL VHS Hi-Fi stereo tape during the 1980’s I can’t recall what the colour balance looked like. Looking at the colour between all four versions Lower left looks how like how I would see a blue sky the scope version 2.35:1 looks like colour manipulation is behind it!

JBL 4645
    THE GREAT ESCAPE

I have to re-watch this I think the version I have is the somewhere around 2000 and what version?

Edit:
    I have the DVD here for viewing later on in the day. The artwork is with “the Cooler King” McQueen on the motorbike its region2 DVD that is slightly different from the region1 DVD just a tiny difference.

The framing here is big issue and I wonder at times are these video engineers blind or have a hard time seeing the image as its on the film, print without the need or use of glasses! Wow some video engineers shouldn’t even be allowed near a telecine.

Thread Information