Page 3 of 63 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: In-depth DVD and movie reviews - the JBL sound!

JBL 4645

Smile The Evolution JBL sound test: The Rock part 1

A &B testing of the rock in 50 seconds intervals LCR surround and LFE.1

I’ve conducted several tests of the incoming rock sequence

Centre channel front with sub bass extension.

1 playing the centre channel on its own with sub bass extension. The sound has an organic tonal quality, it’s as if the rock is (breathing) as it hits the upper atmosphere shards of rock pieces burst into flames of what I can only describe as shotgun and cannon explosions that reached 103dbc.

Loudness in the dba weighting on centre channel was considerable louder at 82dba was cinematic enough for a small room.

Left and right channel fronts with sub bass extension.

2 playing the left and right on there own with sub bass extension. Music is played a at low level with an odd directional eeriness, as the rock tumbles around and around, as it progressively starts to break apart it’s less louder than that of centre channel, coming in at 102dbc at first with mild 103dbc that was barley within a 1 second apart.

Loudness in dba weighting on left and right upon exploding was at 80.5dba

JBL 4645

Smile The Evolution JBL sound test: The Rock part 2

Split-stereo-surrounds with centre back and sub bass extension.

3 Solar winds is heard moving around that soon turns into an alarming sound of what sounds like (women) screaming and yelling as the rocks brakes apart and then fans outwards into thousands of fragments that showered around my ears at 102dbc.

Loudness in dba weighting split-stereo surrounds came in at around 78dba with the yelling and screaming then as the rock finally erupts at 82dba.

Playing LCRS with LFE.1 only came in at around 108dbc I could tell certain other portions of the mix was missing or lacking if that helps.

Playing LCRS and sub bass extension with LFE.1 added for overall grater opening impact came in at around 110dbc.

Overall loudness was around 85dba

JBL control 5 x3 and control 1 x3 LCR divided into LF and HF bands
    JBL control 1 sidewall surrounds x2
    JBL centre back x2
    JBL matrix extra channel x1
    JBL 4645 x1 sub bass LFE.1
    Eltax A-12 R sub bass extension LCRS

JBL 4645

Smile Transformable bass and sub bass, total fun! Region 2 DVD

One specific moment in the film that caught my attention for reference LFE.1 level was this scene.

As bubblebee, hands over the All Spark to Sam, feeling that they have been defeated by Megaton the action Transforms into a nice reference low end, on the battle field.

As the tank fires and don’t be fooled it can Transform at will. The shell rockets along the three-screen plummeting into the ground with a nice bass and sub bass impact, that is localizable on screen left and partly in the centre channel. It’s mild on the LFE.1 at the time of impact.

The score by Steve Jabonsky has some nice percussion beating away that then fades out leaving the sound effects to takeover.

Come on guys, I can’t be the only JBL fan here who likes watching films with JBL, is there anyone else that has this film in the DVD collection?

As two pair of rockets head towards one of the Transformers passing from centre to left and left sidewall surrounds into the centre back for a brief moment, as the Transformer, narrowly escaping them.

JBL 4645

Smile Transformable bass and sub bass, total fun! Region 2 DVD part 2

With most of the sound fading down to a dull almost stillness…

What a appears to be retro (rocket boosters), that suddenly (ignite) and projects himself into midair leaving a brief shudder in the floorboards, on LFE.1 and three-screen fronts happens in different intervals and at different levels

The amount of times I have watched this scene as it looped in A &B mode on the DVD, because the mind can’t take it all in at once, I need to (listen and feel the emotions of the soundtrack transpiring) over and over, until I’m blue in the face.

The sound of the screaming girl is, only heard on the left and right fronts, with a phantom sound image, to give the listener the impression that it’s coming from the centre channel. While the rest of scream is heard on the surrounds, it gives you the illusion you’re right in the (middle) of this personal war, between the transformers, blitzing around you’re ears.

JBL 4645

Smile Transformable bass and sub bass, total fun! Region 2 DVD part 3

The rolling wave that extends from the LFE.1 and peaking at 40Hz on my Technics RTA, thou I can’t see between the 25Hz and 40Hz I guessing there’s a mild peak in the 30Hz range that grows steadily as the Transformer rolls overhead in midair, while the girl screams her head off in fear.
    that echoes around me!

The centre carries a few mechanical transformable sound effects of gears and leaves twisting winding and turning.

I have a good feeling (Kevin O’Connell) might walk away with his golden boy next year because this is well crafted and engineered Dolby film mix that has lots going for it, now go and rent or buy it, great fun the kids will like it.

JBL 4645

Thumbs up Spiderman 3 rented for the night on region 2 DVD with JBL part 1

Main DVD menu is animated with various images from the film, which accompanied by main title score.

Third in the Spiderman instalment and this one delivers a nice blend of wild comic book fun for the fans of the Stan Lee, comic book of Spiderman 3. Stan Lee makes a few cameos in the films which you can’t help noticing. This as loaded with new characters that are out to get Spiderman I won’t give anything away has a few other nerds on other sites just like spoiling it, not that I would ever worry me but seeing it’s a new film and if you haven’t seen Spiderman 3 STOP! Rent all three and give those JBL loudspeakers a workout! You’ll like it!

I’ve viewed Spiderman 3 three times tonight since this is only on rental for 1 day only. After going though the main feature and then onto the two audio commentary tracks with cast and crew and then onto the crew audio commentary session was quite informative about the production and history of the Spiderman films, its worthy of listening to after having you’re ears and body pounding, with abrupt JBL THX abuse for 133m.32s!

Image was framed at 2.35:1 scope with crystal clear clarity for DVD so it’s another winner another standing applause for DVD; DVD has many more years left before it’s bumped by one of the two other competitors?

Sound was nothing more than dynamic lots and lots and lots going on in front and on the surrounds that where engaged with centre back surround.

Before I started playing the film, I just made a few sound checks with (automatic pink noise) on the Kenwood cycling around the around the room, then performed a (wideband pink noise) test with the (dts 5.1 set-up disc) until I was satisfied the sound system was going to play without being harsh on the mid range and high frequency sounds.

Played a few moments from DIE HARD 4.0 the tunnel scene just to make sure all the low end impact has the same impact! Played one scene from Transformers to double check it, then played a few highlights from Spiderman and Spiderman 2.

Opening credits from Spiderman and closing credits. The train scene from Spiderman 2 is a JBL treat to the ears and the moment towards the end where Doc Ock fires up his little science project with an almighty low, low, low oomph that growled from screen LCR and surrounds via the second sub bass speaker, or (sub bass extension) as I prefer to call it.

LFE.1 was mild and it’s an unpredictable channel that can play soft or it can be very high in level and frequency as well, so I always exercise extreme caution because I like to keep the JBL 4645 going and going and going.

22m:18s in on Spiderman 3 where Flint Marko has just being pursued by police, falls into a pit full of sand, the sound is eerie and still at first until a loud humming sound like a transformer starting up, that reached 112dbc via the LFE.1, I could have taken it up to 120dbc, but not without altering the levels of the other remaining channels.

Jameson, being tight as he always is now stress pills the whole lot as you can see form his desk above.

Sound wise it was comfortable with the Berhinger DCX2496 at the fronts, the FBQ 2496 now serves the stereo surrounds main stereo input with equalization to trim signal before it passes off to the Pioneer VSP-200 for sidewall and centre back surround, while matrix extra channel is placed in a different position in the room, since I’m fresh out of JBL control 1, as three of them are used for HF LCR via the DCX2496, so far the custom job as performed okay with the combo JBL control 5 and 1 at the fronts, they can play louder with (wide stereo spared) in front.

The MJ scream is one that I always look out for and seeing there’s three Spiderman films now, I might do a (special MJ screaming test) to see which Spiderman film has the best MJ scream, if I get the to time to view Spiderman 3 again later in the day, before 8pm.

JBL 4645

Thumbs up Spiderman 3 rented for the night on region 2 DVD with JBL part 2

Now that is an iconic image of Spiderman standing behind the stars and strips.

Spiderman plays (tubular bells) and wow does this ring around the room, this has to be heard with a good handful of surround loudspeakers surrounding you for the fullest effect!

Spiderman
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0145487/fullcredits#cast

Spiderman 2
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0316654/combined

Spiderman 3
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0413300/fullcredits#cast

We rented that from Netflicks and watched it last night - Gawd, that movie was a DOG!

I generally enjoy Sam Raimi's movies but sheesh! Some of the special effects were weird - it looked like they did some digital manipulation of the actors' faces in places to "enhance" the emotions ... truly funky.
    (Check out Mary Jane lip quivering right at the end of the film - unnatural!)

If they do a 4th one, I hope its more like Spidey 1 or 2 instead of this steaming pile ...

And - Spidey in front of the flag - that was over-the-top parody, right?
    I mean, it wasn't "Captain America and Bucky", it was Spiderman ...

I went into the movie with no expectations other than "Spiderman Movies are kinda cool", and suffered through over 2 hours of excess

And lest you think I'm being fussy, go read the reviews -

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/spiderman_3/

http://www.netflix.com/Movie/Spider-...1603362705_0_0

http://www.amazon.com/review/product...DateDescending

Quote Originally Posted by JBL 4645 View Post

2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

JBL 4645
    Or it could have been Superman! Sorry it wasn’t you’re kettle of fish I enjoyed all three Spiderman films, I heard from the DVD library that Tobey Maguire only singed up for two more after Spiderman 2002, so it looks like the end of the trip?

JBL 4645

Smile The Wizard of Oz region 2 DVD or which ever version you have

Traditional family classic for all ages “The Wizard of Oz”as been a family event if not for many decades on the TV, here in the UK it often gets shown around the festive season, children and the young at heart grace this delightful fairytale about a girl called Dorothy who ends up in the wonderful land of Oz with Toto, who go on a journey to find the wizard of Oz, and hopeful find away back home before the wicked witch of the east has her way with her and Toto too.

She meets friends on her incredible journey along the yellow brick road, and some memorable musical MGM classics that most of you I’m sure remember.

Now I don’t have any issues with this remix version in Dolby 5.1 apart from a few others, this one sang beautifully, it was whole lot different than I expected when I viewed this 6 years ago, the openness of the fronts was clear and more enjoyable than over the TV speaker for the past 30 years. A few additional sounds effects, where added to create a pleasing listening experience over the monaural sound mix.

The tornado sequence was fun, and yet scary all at the same time, and thou I’ve seen it man times, before the sheer impact left me gasping for water, my mouth dried up my eyes started to water and opening the moment Dorothy walks though the house after coming to a sudden halt! The stillness in the soundtrack as she moves towards the front door with caution, leans forwards and opens the door to a magical colourful world of (Technicolor), completely left a lump in my throat.

JBL 4645

The enhancement on this version really pays good tribute towards the film; everything is working perfectly perfeormnecs picture and sound working together, as magical whole.

Unaware that Dorothy has killed the wicked witch of the west that now lies underneath the house?

She walks around steadily looking at the lush green and wonderful colours that surround her in this peaceful land, of Oz. hiding down below are the Munchkins! Who I bet are more curios of there new and unexpected guest who just dropped from out of the skies.

JBL 4645

The enhancement on this version really pays good tribute towards the film; everything is working perfectly perfeormnecs picture and sound working together, as magical whole.

Unaware that Dorothy as killed the wicked witch of the west, that now lies underneath the house?

She walks around steadily looking at the lush green and wonderful colours that surround her in this peaceful land, of Oz. hiding down below are the Munchkins! Who I bet are more curios of there new and unexpected guest who just dropped from out of the skies.

But have you tried playing The Wizard of Oz synchronized with the Dark Side of the Moon album??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Side_of_the_Rainbow

Dark Side of the Rainbow (also known as Dark Side of Oz or The Wizard of Floyd) is the name used to refer to the act of listening to the 1973 Pink Floyd album The Dark Side of the Moon while watching the 1939 film The Wizard of Oz for moments where the film and the album appear to correspond with each other. The title of the music video-like experience comes from a combination of the album title and the film's song "Over the Rainbow". It is also a reference to the rainbow from a prism design on the cover of the Pink Floyd album.

Also see

http://www.turnmeondeadman.net/DSotR/Intro.php
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    But have you tried playing The Wizard of Oz synchronized with the Dark Side of the Moon album??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Side_of_the_Rainbow

Dark Side of the Rainbow (also known as Dark Side of Oz or The Wizard of Floyd) is the name used to refer to the act of listening to the 1973 Pink Floyd album The Dark Side of the Moon while watching the 1939 film The Wizard of Oz for moments where the film and the album appear to correspond with each other. The title of the music video-like experience comes from a combination of the album title and the film's song "Over the Rainbow". It is also a reference to the rainbow from a prism design on the cover of the Pink Floyd album.

Also see

http://www.turnmeondeadman.net/DSotR/Intro.php
    Heather

The cat is back! Meow.

I’m going to have a look over in Youtube to see if there’s anything on this matter, “Dark Side of the Rainbow.

Thanks.

JBL 4645

Thumbs up “Surf’s Up” on region 2 DVD with JBL

Animated DVD menu is funny.

Shia labeouf, Jeff Bridges do the voiceovers on this delightful animated film about Surfing Penguins, living the life on the beach and surfing until the sun goes down, smooth man.

I know I was going to enjoy this and at 1hr 22min it went rather fast, made me cry a few times, laughed and gasped at the wonderful images unfolding fame for frame.

Farmed at 1.85:1 W/S image was stable shape enough for DVD colourful and delightfully pleasing.

The sound was cool on the JBL with THX dialogue was panning around over LCR along with deep rumbling waves that come crashing down over you’re head, one wave was so smooth peaking at 25Hz as it lifts the surfboards up, as the penguins ride it, was fantastic at 105dbc

The Big wave towards the end of the film came thundering down on me at 115dbc! Wow I thought the JBL 4645 bought the farm that, was loud, the sheer sound pressure was all over my body, wonderful Dolby 5.1. Some of the atmosphere scenes in Antarctica at the opening had an almost being there presence, with the wind blowing softly and penguin voices moving from left and right and centre.

This will delight the kids and if not the adults as well, after all I’m a grown, well almost…buy surf’s up toady and remember let the wave carry you…

Well I’m knocking off night going to watch Surf’s Up for second time and listen to the audio commentary session, and by the way, happy Christmas JBL Lansing members…

Thread Information