Page 11 of 63 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Thread: In-depth DVD and movie reviews - the JBL sound!

JBL 4645

JBL 4645

“Flight of the Phoenix” (2005) audio text commentary “boom channel”

JBL 4645

How low where they talking? Alien3 subwoofer

When I watched the extras on DVD disc 6 Bonus, several years ago I was wondering what the actual frequency response of the playback at the Zanuck theatre? What type of subs where used and what was SPL db level?

This is the [Fox Zanuck Theatre] link for today and I can’t find any other technical details about it, other than what I see in the link.

http://www.foxstudios.com/los_angele...eningrooms.htm

JBL 4645
    I’ve seen Alien3 at UCI 10 sceren, Tower Park, when it opened in Dolby Stereo SR and thou it wasn’t the 70mm six-track Dolby stereo exclusive, it still managed to pack small punch thou I don’t really remember the opening on the 35mm print shacking my insides apart from when a guy goes though the air vent fan, splat! That was felt and two guys bumping into each other as they run down the corridors in total confusion.

Here is frequency waterfall graph of the opening moments to Alien3.

I guess this range was upsetting the audience LOL I guess it would do that.

JBL 4645

“I’m gonna to sort it out” The Ghost in the Darkness (1996) laserdisc DVD ABC&D test

(1996) academy award winner for best sound effects editing “The Ghost in the Darkness”.

ABC&D testing of the region 2 DVD and PAL laserdisc

First I switched the DRC dynamic range compressor to ON mode, on the Kenwood KRF-X9050D THX select and set the level where Kilmer’s character John Patterson says, “I’m going to sort it out” while firing of single round then reloading the rife then firing off a second shot in vengeful anger.

I set the SPL db level metre up and selected A weighting I wasn’t interested in C weighting, I set the level on the Kenwood for appropriate level to read a simple 70dbA in (dynamic range compression) mode.

Region 2 DVD
    Six-track Dolby stereo digital
    Dolby AC-3
    Fader -8db
    Rifle shots came in at 70dbA

The next setting was with DRC turned OFF and the fader level adjusted down by

Fader -12db
    Rifle shots came in at 70dbA +- a few 0.0db nothing you’d really notice.

Dolby stereo 4:2:4
    Analogue
    Fader -5db
    Rifle shots came in at 70dbA

Laserdisc PAL
    PCM
    Dolby stereo 4:2:4
    Fader -11db

JBL 4645
    This is one of the most vivid and terrifying plane crashes that I’ve seen dramatized on film. To think that most survived by fate of plane crash an avalanche and eating the dead to get out of that situation, takes an enormous courage. Saw this at the “Empire Leicester square” in Dolby SR-D on Wednesday May 5th 1993 in THX awesome.

JBL 4645
    Rollercoaster ride from “Space cowboys” (2000) has few nice dips and peaks as the coaster rides around turning on hard and shape bends with whoosh of air movement.

I picked up the 2 DVD set of the restored "Help!" .....really a masterfull job, the FabFour never looked better..

On the extras disk they mentioned that the original name was "Help", but that violated a copyright and renaming to "Help!" solved that problem. (notice exclamation point !)..looks like it took a long time to restore, the master was in poor condition. Audio is superb !

Highly Recommended..
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    I picked up the 2 DVD set of the restored "Help!" .....really a masterfull job, the FabFour never looked better..

On the extras disk they mentioned that the original name was "Help", but that violated a copyright and renaming to "Help!" solved that problem. (notice exclamation point !)..looks like it took a long time to restore, the master was in poor condition. Audio is superb !

Highly Recommended..
    I’ve only seen this film once and that was back around the late to early 1980’s on television equipped only with tiny 3” speaker in monaural. If I should see it blockbusters I’ll rent it out, but I seem to remembering reading about this a while back, that there are several versions re-mastered and produced in Dolby 5.1.

JBL 4645
    Chapter 1 the opening moments to “The Da Vinci Code” (2006) LFE.1 track is only playing, while I analyze the Da olby code.

Rumour control has it that the BBFC asked the filmmakers of The Da Vinci Code to reduce the level of sound effects as it was too loud.

JBL 4645

Cloverfield "Roar!" Overture to the end credits LFE.1 only

Cloverfield Overture to the end credits LFE.1 only I could have monitored the LCRS sub bass but you’ll have to pay me to do that because this film is so pants and only the Skywalker Sound and end credits rules.

Score doesn’t really start to around -9m.38s chapter 16 or 78m.33s when you hear the deep tympani, with 30Hz and 40Hz beating away, sounds like a piano then the drums and horns and strings start coming in with flute, harps, even a solo voice is heard, sounds like opera.

I’ve watched the end credits to this film more than most of all the top hardcore members on this site and I’ve really lost count now, its got to be at least 80 times, I end up playing the opening with that LFE.1 and then playing a few moments from the middle then skipping to the monster having feast on the helicopter, until it ditches and then I go to the end credits, because this film is pants I can’t stand the camera work its pants.

Have you done any Blue Ray reviews?

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post

Have you done any Blue Ray reviews?
    Ian

No and I don’t think I’ll be missing anything that I haven’t already heard or felt. I’d sooner hear and feel a demonstration around someone’s home preferably with JBL.

Prices may have dropped to sinful levels but I’m not tempted not even you loaned me 4K I’d sooner spend it on some JBL pro cinema speaker’s amplifiers and video projector, so that shows how high my, will power is.

Running a classic six-track Dolby stereo film The Abyss (1989) and the JBL controls aren’t even sweating lots of low end rumbles bumps kicks slams as well as some unrelenting pressure that taps on the ears, pucker film!

Expect some frequency waterfall graphs later in the day, or should I say underwater frequency graphs.

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    You are right I am on line. I am trying to figure out just what all this is about.

Rob
    Rob
    Grab some DVD films or other and spin them on the player and listen to them on those JBL. Also download the free Spectrumlab to see the overall frequency response ether as whole or via separate connections, or other? Give us some feedback on how they perform crack out the SPL db meter as well, I’m sure most here have far better JBL then my control series.

Edit: cheers Rob for the clean up.

JBL 4645

2001: A Space Odyssey laserdisc and DVD

The continuity of the waterfalls is bit out of sequence I’ve been working hard on these and some 2010 ones with some air-breaking coming later on. What’s more the tone and rumble on the JBL4645 is pucker a nice operatic feeling. I was going to do The Abyss last Sunday but got so tired up with the images and deciding on what waterfalls I should show as the lows didn’t reach down as far as I thought they would, but it still vibrates the sofa .

Thread Information