Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What about a subwoofer?

What about a subwoofer?

My system is running nicely now. It is a Pioneer Elite VSX52TX, two dvd players and a vcr player for movies and cd's, a pair of Altec Lansing Santana's, 15in woof with a tweeter. (I think the woof is a 420A BiFlex) For center, a Sonus Faber Electra and a pair of Mission 772's in the rear. It works very well for music and for movies. I am wondering about a subwoofer. My Santana's do bass very well, would there be any gain in experience with a subwoofer, and if so, what would compliment the system? I see that most of the offered subwoofs are smaller than 15in. Or does size matter, in this respect?

I think that as the subwoof can rreside out of site, I could just get a speaker and build the inclosure. What about a JBL W12GTI? It seems to be well thought of. How to power it? Glenn

Toddalin is our resident WGTI-in-the-home subwoofer practitioner. Perhaps he will comment.

The GTI series do put out lots of deep bass but are very inefficient, especially when run at 12 ohms and like lots of power.

I use a W15GTI driven from a Crown PSA-2XH, probably pushing close to 1,000 watts (or more) bridged into 12 ohms and this does OK.

But for the REAL BASS, I use a Sunfire Signiture and this 1 cubic foot box (with a 10" driver and 10" PR) easily keeps pace with the three 2235s, the W15GTI, and the four 10" surround channels. The Sunfire (2,700 watts) easily exceeds 105 dB at 18 Hz and will shake your fillings loose.

BTW, I've also taken to using the W10GTIs in my four surround channels (with 2425s), but again, you need lots of power. I feel that these will give me the best overall bass response in a compact cabinet (from a JBL speaker). My surround channels do 170 watts RMS, so hopefully this will be enough for surround duty.

This is some serious stuff and I continue to be awed by some of the equipment and work some of you have done with sound equipment. I have maybe 500 records, and 100 cd's, and do not login with the name halfdef for nothing. I am going to stick to what I have for now, and hope the subwoof issue does not get out of hand. My tinnitus is never going to get better, and every time we crank up the existing system, it bothers me for days afterwards. Thanks for you input, Glenn

Exclamation

I don't know how old you are now halfdeaf, but it will get worse, much worse if you do not take care immediately and that means no loud anything ! People have been known to commit suicide because of tinnitus..... you should be listening in the low 70 db only.
    JBL S3100, VPI HM19 MKIV w/SAMA, Moerch UP4 ,Hana ML cart, Blackdog VTP , Audio Note M2 line stage, Perreaux PMF 1850.

I am 64 and have had this for many years. I was a Boilermaker for 30 years. I was in on some of the last riveting on ships. Talk about loud!!!!! Also an avid pistol shot, favorite, full bore 357. My best sound system was a $1000 Blaupunkt with 6X9's in the doors plus some mid and tweeters in my little VW pickup. Pink Floyd's "Dark Side---" was really good turned way up. I can still hear that alarm clock ticking. Somewhere I have read that Astronauts sight improves when in space for extended periods, as sailors sight and hearing improves at sea. So, my tinnitus is less a bother if I leave noise alone for as long as possible. We have taken to leave this system lower on movies, and I don't often turn the sound way up, as I don't often "overindulge" with the grape. Much. But then, once in awhile---- You can say anything you want to me anytime you want, just be prepared to hear me say "WHAT". Glenn
    Last edited by halfdef; 11-27-2007 at 11:30 PM. Reason: Mistaken title

Tinnitus sucks, it's a good thing that JBLs can satisfy without turning them up to ear splitting volume. The worst thing is I can't listen to them at really low volume and get off on them like I used to.

I agree, to refresh the thread, my main speakers are the Altec Lansing Santana's. 15in. BiFlex, purchased new about 1970. So I am quite used to them. They always sounded better the louder you played them. From Pavarotti to the 1812 Overture. Cannons and all. Now, I have added two Mission 772's and a center Sonus Faber. All in all, it seems to work. Tonight we do a tone generator and Db meter analysis. Let you know how it works out. Glenn
    Last edited by halfdef; 11-28-2007 at 05:29 PM. Reason: correct misspelled words

Well, we did the analysis, but I'll be darned if I can graph the results out. The scale of 20 to 20,000 on the X axis doesn't work. Maybe just the difference on the Db's, + values and -values on the Y.??? But I don't know about the X.

subwoofer

My sub is a 40 cubic foot cabinet driven by 2 2440's and 350 watts of solid state, crossed at 80hz and is flat to 10 hz. My friend still says that the twin lens reflex bass cabinet is more potent driven by a 20 watt tube amp. I will ask if he still has them for sale. They are large (8' by 3') and you can feel the bass response. Chose your drivers or he can recomend his. Maybe I am going to far but it is amazing what hi efficient speakers can do with a few watts.

A friend of mine just bought a pair of subwoofer towers. They sound really great, and have (with EQ) a flat response down to 16Hz in his room. No boom, just dry and precise bass

The drivers are Beyma 12" with Nd motor, and 4" single voicecoil.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    2213 + 2435HPL w/aquaplas + H9800 (Matsj edition)

Quote Originally Posted by timc View Post
    A friend of mine just bought a pair of subwoofer towers. They sound really great, and have (with EQ) a flat response down to 16Hz in his room. No boom, just dry and precise bass

The drivers are Beyma 12" with Nd motor, and 4" single voicecoil.
    Fine solution
    Speaker from floor to ceiling helps to activate less room resonances.
    12 inch cone with 4 inch voice coil makes a stiff motor.

It's the stiffest woofers i have encountered. If you push at the topmost driver, you move the entire colum, but the cone don't move.

I believe the BL factor of each driver is 26.

-Tim
    2213 + 2435HPL w/aquaplas + H9800 (Matsj edition)

Quote Originally Posted by timc View Post
    ... but the cone don't move.
    I believe the BL factor of each driver is 26.
    So I presume the woofers have separeted chambers .
    Very strong motor, the whole TSP set might be interesting.

Thread Information