Thread: JBL L-300 Grilles

JBL L-300 Grilles

Hey, just wanted to let you gentleman know that I picked up a set of JBL L-300 grilles in JBL blue. They were offered on the bay and sometimes you just got to take a chance. These were re-production items and they were so much better than what came with the speakers that I just had to tell you guys! They were from a guy named Mike Botts, I believe I've got the name right. He's in Carrolton Texas. They fit sooooo good! His packing, well let me tell you he built this crate for them to travel in and man it was really something for the eye to see. Best packing I've ever seen for an ebay item. Not sure if he's on here or not, but he did say he was glad a forum member won them! Cheers, Frank
    K2S5800,Proj Array1000,880,1500,SynthesisTWO,250Ti,240Ti,120Ti& 18Ti,S38,Libra,Ti2K,Dorian,L36,88,99,100,300,Jubal ,Apollo,4425

Thanks for the kind words Frank

I have been restoring JBL for at least 10 years for myself and a few others, Started out with L100's and have worked my way up to the larger formats such as the 300's. I have picked up cabinets in Georgetown for Subwoof, developed and posted the B460 plans about a year ago with another member, and am always happy to help out the Forum members if I can.
    I can restore or reproduce most any JBL grill with an original pattern to work from. If I can help anyone else feel free to contact me.

Again thanks for the kind words

mb
    Restoring the legend, one cabinet at a time

That's great! You are "over the ocean", but I'll keep you in mind just in case.

catseye
    It's nice to have great resources, and nice to have folks that will point us to them.

Quote Originally Posted by mbottz View Post
    I can restore or reproduce most any JBL grill with an original pattern to work from. If I can help anyone else feel free to contact me.

mb
    Yeah, one of the days I'll have to take you up on your offer to clone some 4345 frames.....

What ?

Chas ,

you cant cover the sexy bits

Rich

L-200 Side Vent Grill Cloth

OK Mike, here's a grill question I hope you can help with. I have a nice set of L-200 with OE black grill cloth on the fronts. But the side "vent" grill cloth is shot (torn and unraveled) on a couple of the vents. It appears to be the same cloth that is used on the JBL L-88 Nova speaker. I have a pair of those.

First, how do you get this L-200 side vent grill cloth out/removed? It is not obvious to me how it is mounted/secured to the main cabinet.

Any sources for this late '60s, early '70s grill cloth? I'm reduced to looking on that auction site for pairs of L-88 grills to cannibalize. I also keep eyeballing my L-88s thinking I might put the drivers in another box and use their grill cloth -- but I like their classic '60s look.

Any help or suggestions appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by mbottz View Post
    developed and posted the B460 plans about a year ago with another member, mb
    I think I know that guy?

Hi Mike, Did you ever get around to cloning some of them B460's ???

Hi Mike,

Can you continue to make L300 frames or complete grilles? Any idea of price? I've got a few grilles that are severely cracked or broken and toying with the idea of repair vs. replacement. Would you possibly have them as knocked-down kits - all the parts precut to assemble on site and cover with grille cloth (I've got a bunch of Zilch cloth too).

Do you have a pattern for the 4331-33 type box (4503 cabinet)? I might be interested in that type of grille too.

Let me know here or by PM.

Thanks.

Bart
    When faced with another JBL find, Good mech986 says , JBL Fan mech986 says

Wornears

It has been a while since I have seen a set of 200’s, but if I am not mistaken the cloath is glued to a small frame and then glued into the side opening. You will probably bust the frame trying to remove it. You might be able to break the glue joint with an exacto knife, just be very careful not to damage the cabinet.
    The only original style cloth I have access to is the blue zilch sells. I do have some original black cloth from an old 300 grill, which would be more than enough to use for your 200 if you are interested.
    PM me and we can discuss further.

MB

John

Have not cloned a B460 yet, but it is number two on my list of things to do in 2008. Since we completed the drawing, I Have had a daughter in College, moved from one house to another (cant find which box things are in even still) and have changed jobs. Life has really gotten in the way of the fun stuff. I have just now got my shop to a point where I can build things again. When I start the B450 project I will set up a Thread and post my progress. I plan to build a mirror image set for my media room. Just snagged a good deal on the 2245’s this week on the Bay.

MB

mech986

I will make as many repro grills as I have requests for. It is easier to make 3 to 5 sets at the same time than it is to make one set. If I can get several confirmed orders I can set up and make many sets in a weekend. Keep in mind I have a full time job and it may take up to 30 days to complete single small projects sometimes. Pricing is $300 per set with Blue Grill Cloth from Zilch, Plus shipping and packing materials. I can get other Colors of cloth, it is just not the original type and colors are not the same as JBL factory colors. (If anyone has a good outlet for cloth let me know)

The 300 grills are shaped in different steps of assembly. It is not really something that can be assembled after the fact.
    I can definitely guarantee they will get there in one piece and will Crate them as I did for Vettedrummer. The Crating materials are not much more than your average heavy-duty box. It is also more cost effective if multiple orders from the same location could be shipped to one member. I can ship 4 grills in a single crate before it becomes too large for Fedex.

I Don’t have a pattern of the 4331-33 yet but have seen them and it is not be a problem to reproduce. If you can send me one to work from I will guarantee it will come back to you in good condition. I will even make you a special deal on the first set made for the use of a good pattern. Once built I keep a pattern of each model grill I make so I can reproduce it at a later date easily.

PM me and we can discuss pricing if you supply the cloth

Thanks to all for your interest

Best Regards

MB
    Restoring the legend, one cabinet at a time

I have a set of L200 side panels on the way here from France (thanks Pos!)
    I'm not the woodworker many folks are, but if someone wants to borrow one to make dupes, I can lend one they could use as a template to make working copies ...

My originals were loose - the panels seemed to be just glued in. Perhaps a small block of hardwood and some gentle taps with a hammer could pop them free?

Quote Originally Posted by Wornears View Post
    OK Mike, here's a grill question I hope you can help with. I have a nice set of L-200 with OE black grill cloth on the fronts. But the side "vent" grill cloth is shot (torn and unraveled) on a couple of the vents. It appears to be the same cloth that is used on the JBL L-88 Nova speaker. I have a pair of those.

First, how do you get this L-200 side vent grill cloth out/removed? It is not obvious to me how it is mounted/secured to the main cabinet.

Any help or suggestions appreciated.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Thread Information