Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Diy Cabaret

Nice build- if I may, a simple addition of a series inductor on the mid would likely smooth things out quite a bit- .5mH would probably be a good starting point.

Hello John W,

I see in post 14 of this thread that the crossover frequency between the 2119’s and 2404’s is near 4.2kHz.
    JBL calls the 2119 a high power 2118. I cannot put my eyes on any data for the 2119. Will you tell us more about how you selected the crossover frequency and your impressions regarding the performance?

I am in the process of using 2118’s and hopefully 2404’s in a personal, compact 3-way, project.

All just for fun!
    DT
    Last edited by DualTriode; 09-01-2014 at 03:12 PM. Reason: "is" removed oops

I kept the original 4628 crossover frequency for the 2118/2404. From what I read at the time, it was best to treat the 2119 the same as a 2118.
    It seems like a fairly good range. You gain the advantages of the small horn and don't compromise too much in power handling. I don't think you should go much lower, and I'm not sure how much higher the 2118 will go before it begins to drop off on it's own.

Quote Originally Posted by John W View Post
    Just finishing up on a pair of Cabaret-like 3 ways. I’ve had my eye on the 4628's for a while and decided to build a pair updated just a bit.

The overall size, baffle layout and tuning are the same as the original but from there I made a few changes. One change was to mirror image the pair and angle the side walls back a little in a trapezoid fashion. I also set up the grills to wrap around the front a little, to reduce the side reflections if I decided to listen to them without the grills. The handles are recessed into the cabinets.

Like the originals the cabinet material is birch plywood, hoping to make them a little lighter and tougher for lugging around. With the E145s they are still a back breaker no matter what you do.

I already had the E145s and 2404s. The midranges are the equivalent but somewhat higher power 2119H rather than the 2118H.

I started out with a home built version of the stock crossover. This sounded just ok in full-range mode but the speakers really came alive when bi-amped. Not sure I wanted to bi-amp all the time, I swapped in a charged coupled 800hz crossover from a different project. The other crossover is a lot more complex, but doesn’t run the E145 full-range all the time. This sounded so much better, I decided to rebuild using this version. I kept in the bi-amp switch, which leaves the mid-tweeter section as is, and releases the E145 to run flat out.

Anyway here are a few pictures.
    Great job!my friend want to make new 4628 just like yours,do you have the cab drawing?thank you!
    46 lover

Thread Information